Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Service Provider problem

Options
  • 09-07-2007 7:02pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am currently with a local internet company that provide a "9mb" service.
    Their contention ratio is 20:1
    my best speed accoriding to www.speedtest.net is 2.5mb
    I have had the company out to the house 3 times and they have acknowledged that there is a problem however they have not fixed it.

I have had it in 2 months now and to stream videos I have to preload them for a long time to watch them!! I have send over 20 emails asking them whats happening and how long will I be waiting and I have gotten no responses!! I went into the shop today and the owner said to me that 2.5meg is good!!
    I have speedtest results for others on the same ISP and they are getting 8-9mb constant!! I have had enough now to be honest but I don't know where to go next to complain about this crowd!!

Anyone got any ideas for me to try??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

So they dont dick everyone around as standard and some customers get the full package. Therefore they are not basically dishonest like some isps who nver give anyone their full whack.....ever.

Offer them 1/3 of the monthly fee for 1/3 of the service until they fix it starting from the 1st of this month . Focuses the mind.

Make the offer through their 'formal complaints procedure'. They then have 10 working days to fix it and then you can go to comreg .

If they have no 'formal complaints procedure' then you can go straight to comreg and not wait 10 days and complain about that issue as well as the service.

comreg are a pack of toerags who will usually try to tell you that they have not issued a licence to these people and can do nothing ....means they don't want to do anything . They are a very lazy bunch, Tell them the ISP must
    1.bill accurately and
    2.have a formal complaints procedure

as part of their Comreg Licence, actually called a Comreg Authorisation nowadays .

Then comreg should remove finger from hole and look into it for you and get it fixed. **** system but this is Ireland the knowledge economy for you . Comreg know more about doing nothing than any other body in Ireland and at the very forefront of that knowledge economy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

2.5mb/s on a 9mb connection @ 20:1,would strike me as being within service parameters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Moonbeam wrote:
    2.5mb/s on a 9mb connection @ 20:1,would strike me as being within service parameters.

So why did the ISP send out engineers to check out his connection? :-)

I have 3MB metro from digiweb which is 36:1 contention and at the moment it's 2186kb/s download and 406kb/s upload with 90ms latency which is fantastic. So how come the OP with a service that should be miles better than mine, is getting about the same speeds as me?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I have Eircom Home Starter, is this a bad result? I might change to a Satellite one soon. Or after we move.

153267548.png

And 50 Mins later...

153291506.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

thats better than sat any day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

chatmaster - seriosuly if you can avoid satellite do.

jonny24.ie - did you ask them what the problem was?
    It is rare an isp is going to acknowledge a problem when the connection is performing within sla.

Oh. I thought Satellite would be better. :confused:

And it says faster.. :confused: Than my current connection

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Moonbeam wrote:
    chatmaster - seriosuly if you can avoid satellite do.

jonny24.ie - did you ask them what the problem was?
    It is rare an isp is going to acknowledge a problem when the connection is performing within sla.

Yes I did!! They don't know what the problem is and basically i went into them the other day and they laughed at me saying that 2.5 meg is good!!
    As I said before I know of members on this site which have sent me their speedtest results from this company and they are all pulling out 8000+ on speedtest.net at the exact same time I am pulling out my 2500(max) out of it!! When I was on IBB 2mb I was constantly pulling 1900+ on my download with a 48:1 contention ratio.

The problems they have said was that the modem had the wrong settings (which they fixed with no difference to my speed)

Also my PC is labouring so it doesn't have enough memory (my lappie has 1gig of ram and thats just my spare pc in a way so either way the speed should be good on the lappie if not on my pc)

I was told that the contention ratio was the reason and that everyone gets about 6000 - 7000 at worst on speedtest.net (now that would mean I am on a higher contention ratio when there is only one available from this crowd.)
    When the test goes to work on speedtest.net the needle flies up to 2-3meg when it gets to 5% done. Then its like it slams into a brick wall and goes all the way back to 1meg and crawls up to the 2.5meg mark. Its like there is some form of cap on it!!

chatmaster - no satellite is really flakey and latency is high,unless you have no other option for broadband,I would higly recommend don't put yourself through the pain of it.

What does that Latency thing mean anyway?

• Advertisement

Latency is how long it takes a packet to get from one point to another.

There is a detailed explanation here,if your interested -
    http://searchsmb.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,290660,sid44_gci212456,00.html

Advertisement