Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second electric shower

Options
  • 09-07-2007 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question.

I was wondering is it possible to put a second electric shower in a house. I have heard before that it was not possible but can't remember why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It is possible but you will have to get an electrician to put in a special fuse gismo (thats a technical term :D ) on your main fuseboard. Otherwise you could overload the system if they are both used at once. I'm sure someone will give you a more scientific explanation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Yes it is possible but you need to install a special isolation relay which ensures that only one shower can be used at once.

Another cheaper way (THOUGH I AM NOT ADVISING YOU TO DO THIS!!) is to put the tails of both showers into the combined RCD / MCB unit. That way if the second shower is switched on, then the MCB might trip out if the load is exceeded. The only downside is that someone will be having a shower in cold water until the MCB is reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

A shower priority switch is what you are looking for.
    2 types are available.
    One allows the first shower on to have priority.
    The other gives a chosen shower priority all the time, enabling you to have endless fun ruining someone elses relaxing wash:D
    I would recommend you use an electrician for installation of this switch.

Tut tut Avns1s, thats not like you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

A shower priority switch is what you are looking for.
    2 types are available.
    One allows the first shower on to have priority.
    The other gives a chosen shower priority all the time, enabling you to have endless fun ruining someone elses relaxing wash:D
    I would recommend you use an electrician for installation of this switch.

Tut tut Avns1s, thats not like you;)

LOL

Which part? Ruining someone else's shower?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭DO0GLE

You need to have an interlock installed. This allows only one shower to be in use at any one time. As a previous poster has said, two showers running would cause an overload as an electric shower draws so much current.

• Advertisement
Advertisement