Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croagh Patrick

Options
  • 09-07-2007 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know whats the quickest time someone has climbed Croagh Patrick in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i've seen people running up the mountain, but i cant remember how long it'd take as i only climb it on the reek weekend as a first aider so my times vary.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We did a sponsored run about 10 years ago, we did it up in or about 35-40 minutes. about 40 mins down. Roughly, it was 10 years ago!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

How long would it take a normal person (i.e not a super fit runner)? Walking, occasional breaks and stopping for breath etc? I'm planning to do this sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

About two-three hours up and less than two down.
    http://www.croagh-patrick.com/faq.html#5

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

something i would like to do is Climb the reek, apart from Reek Sunday, is there a good time to climb it?

• Advertisement

Yes, a sunny/dry, not foggy/rainy day.
    Start a 10 and you'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Ha ha.....look at the weather we are having, not that easy to find a dry day!!! thanks all the same, next time im down west i may go over that far! i only got to the statue the last time i was there, but that was years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The reason I asked the original question is that I did it for the first time a fortnight ago, I wouldnt be the fittest and it took me 1hr 40 going up and about 1 hr 10 coming down. It was more difficult than I thought but I was glad I did it anyway even though I got soaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

littlebug wrote:
    How long would it take a normal person (i.e not a super fit runner)? Walking, occasional breaks and stopping for breath etc? I'm planning to do this sometime soon.

Don't worry bug he is certainly not a super fit runner ;)

I have done it in about forty mins, walking at a quick pace, was on reek sunday too so going past people took a little time.

The three of us ran down (on the side of your feet is the safest BTW) and we did it in half an hour, but that was when I was young and fit ( a long time ago). I believe that there is a race up it on the day before Reek sunday or maybe on the friday, I would imagine that is quite quick, it is not a long way.

Best time in this years championship race up and down was 49.03 (33.04 up and 15 and a bit down). That is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

finbarrk wrote:
    Does anyone know whats the quickest time someone has climbed Croagh Patrick in?

The Irish Mountain Running Association (IMRA) use Croagh Patrick every year for one of their Hill runs. The winning time is usually around 46/47 min. The race starts at the pub goes to the top around the church and back down to the pub again. The record is held by John Lenihan from Kerry. I am not sure of the year or the exact time but I think it was in about 44 minutes. (There is probably more info at www.imra.ie)

John was World Mountain running champion in 1991.

Geld

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 WeeDiddly

Hi Finbarrk

All the figures you've been given are fairly accurate, to the degree that it depends what you're wearing/carrying.

On average it will take 2.5hours up, and 2down, with no time to rest at all, on the way.
    If the conditions are good, as we recently seen on Reek Sunday, where the ground is compacted, and much more safe, it will take 2hours up and 1.5hours down.

The fastest it will take Officials(people from the Order Of Malta & Mountain Rescue) is 55mins up, and 50mins down... The fastest(if an Official was really racing) would be 45mins up and 45mins down, but you must also remember that is carrying a large rucksack, full of first aid equipment.

If you were as fit as a fiddle, and the day was exellent weather, and you had good clothes on, with as little baggage as possible(and no hangover :P), you would get up in about 35mins.

As part of the Order Of Malta, I climb every year as supervision for a group of Yorkshire boys & girls ages 13-17. Some of the people have hill climbing and mountain climbing as their hobby and can get up in less that 45-50mins which is excellent!

These are all averages, most my figures are a round-up from a Civil Defense survey in July 2006, which was never released to the Public, and was for Emergency Services use only.

Supposedly there is an easier flatter route than from the car park/famine boat? Where does that start? Is it from Belclare Bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Annadale0

The record for the race is held by John Brooks of 42 mins 43 sec which he did in the race in 2004

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

geld wrote: »
    The Irish Mountain Running Association (IMRA) use Croagh Patrick every year for one of their Hill runs. The winning time is usually around 46/47 min. The race starts at the pub goes to the top around the church and back down to the pub again. The record is held by John Lenihan from Kerry. I am not sure of the year or the exact time but I think it was in about 44 minutes. (There is probably more info at www.imra.ie)

John was World Mountain running champion in 1991.

Geld

that is savage !!!!

anybody climb this 2,3,4,5? or more times in one day. or know anybody who has done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

anybody climb this 2,3,4,5? or more times in one day. or know anybody who has done.

I think the record is 7times. (it takes 40 mins to climb and descend as a quick pace)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think the record is 7times. (it takes 40 mins to climb and descend as a quick pace)

U wudn't be doing it in 40 mins up and down if you are planning to do it 7 times. The record is 42 mins up and down so I think they would be doing well to do it in 1 hour 20 min up and down for 7 times in 1 day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

i did it 3 times in a day for charity, but i know ppl who did it 5 times in 1 day.

it takes me about an hour to get up and 30mins to get down when im in good form and im nt too fit tbh :rolleyes: but when i first moved to westport it took 2 n a half hours up and 1 down.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Plese be careful about sprinting up and down the Reek. V ery easy to break an ankle or worse. Mountain Rescue are a voluntary service. Unfair on them to put yourself in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

nuac is absolutely right.
    Unless you are a super fit hyper-athlete, you should not be attempting the Reek 7 times in one day.
    But if you are fit enough and a super fit hyper-athlete and still want to do it, you should allow a minimum of 1hr20 up and 40 mins down and 10 mins break at the top each time, which means you need 7 x 2hr10 = 15 hrs 10. That's not allowing for breaks at the bottom.
    IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I did it once last november.
    Absolutely f*cked afterwards but worth it.
    30yo male. smoker (20 a day) not fit but stubborn.
    Left the car park at 1.30.
    Was on the summit (at the church) at 2.35.
    Back down at 3.20.

Very proud of that time.

Jesus it was tough but it was so worth it! The pints were sweet that night!

5 times in a day seems like a challenge. moderately fit. no time target

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

100k cycle, 2hr05 up and down, 100k cycle. Happy with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Have climbed Croagh Patrick twice & plan on 3rd next few weeks. Have to smile at how competitive people are. Last time I climbed was with my partner & when I sat down & pleaded 'break' I was told 'Look, even old-timer in bare feet is passing you out!' Smell the roses, folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ronan1986

having just done the gaelforce, I believe the elite athletes get up and down in something like 40 minutes, which is mind blowing to me!!

I personally, as a first time climber and after running,cycling and kayaking 50km got up in 58 minutes and down in 41, which by all accounts wasn't a great time.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Climbed it with a few friends from college yesterday (hot day (bag on my back) and hangovers didn't help!) but we went up in an hour with several breaks for water and food and down in around half an hour. If we were racing I'd say we'd go up in around 40 minutes and get down in 20 minutes easily enough. It's tough alright but I love it. It's great picking out which routes to take and which stones to use, grab etc. whether to stick to the ricky areas or the grass. Brilliant craic:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

First Timer last week, amazing weather.
    I rented a bike and cycled from westport up 1hr40 down 1hr20, the heavy bags were not a good idea!!! - Pretty unfit so was delighted to do it. Tricky coming down even on the sides of your feet. The devoted who do it in barefeet I salute you. Dont know how you do it.
    Lovely part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 juanpablo1983

ssaye wrote: »
    First Timer last week, amazing weather.
    I rented a bike and cycled from westport up 1hr40 down 1hr20, the heavy bags were not a good idea!!! - Pretty unfit so was delighted to do it. Tricky coming down even on the sides of your feet. The devoted who do it in barefeet I salute you. Dont know how you do it.
    Lovely part of the world.

I will be in Westport towards the end of September and a few of us are hoping to cycle out to Croagh Patrick and climb it. Can you recommend where to hire a bike and how long out to Croagh Patrick is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

I will be in Westport towards the end of September and a few of us are hoping to cycle out to Croagh Patrick and climb it. Can you recommend where to hire a bike and how long out to Croagh Patrick is it?

No Problem

Rent bike from Clewbayoutdoors - Its in the centre of Westport town 100 yards from River. http://www.clewbayoutdoors.com/ It will cost €20 for all the kit for 24 hours. Take a Hybrid bike, roads are excellent.
    Its no more than 30 minutes to Croagh Patrick on the "Greenway" cycle alnes and roads stopping to take a few cool photos. There are much longer bike trips you can take too. Clewbay Outdoors have maps are I found them brilliant. You can lock the bike in the car park at the foot of Croagh Patrick, lock provided.

As for Croagh Patrick, one backpack between a few people will be enough. I took a few too many bottles of water so it was pretty heavy. Wear good hiking boots or similar footwear. You can hire a walking stick for €2 in carpark. You get €1 back if you return it. They recommend it takes 3.5 hours up and down. Athletes will do it much quicker.

http://www.discoverireland.com/za/ireland-things-to-see-and-do/listings/product/?fid=FI_1660

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Clew Bay Outdoors = Clew Bay Bike Hire. Same people, just in case anyone's wondering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement