Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croagh Patrick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Garret C

Has anyone on here ever carried a mountain bike up there and cycled down? Or would that be compete madness? Is the decent even possible on a bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

I woundn't recommend it from the very top because of all the loose stone but from St. Bridgets bed should be OK. Just let me know when your doing it so I can make sure I WON'T be there;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Garret C wrote: »
    Has anyone on here ever carried a mountain bike up there and cycled down? Or would that be compete madness? Is the decent even possible on a bike?

Mate has done it but he is a mountain biker so would know what he is at.

I would say though that you would be putting others at risk though not just yourself from loose stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 garg

Hi whats the minimum age for climbing the reek? My daughter is six but she has gone up Knocknarea in Sligo before but I would say this is a much bigger challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

garg wrote: »
    Hi whats the minimum age for climbing the reek? My daughter is six but she has gone up Knocknarea in Sligo before but I would say this is a much bigger challenge.

there is none, you see everything from todlers to pensioners every weeekend of the year. She should have no problems.

on a side note I believe some guys carried there paralysised brother up and down on a stretcher a few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I would say the Knockrea Climb would match up as far as the cone and then it would be up to you to decide.( Though if she enjoying it I doubt you'll stop her)

Was up there on Sunday and we met a good number of kids froma 3month old with her Ma to a family af 4 under 12.
    I had to use the sight of the 4 kids flying up to convince a few Glamerous Celtic Tiger Kittens that looking 'FIT' was not enough and that a bit of physical effort was needed to get to the top:D

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Climbed it yesterday myself, good crowd climbing it of all ages

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Planning on climbing it tomorrow myself.

Would anyone be able to tell me if the climb is manageable for dogs? I have a German Shepherd that I like to bring everywhere with me. It wouldn't be too steep for her, would it? Or, how narrow is the track? Would it be considered rude to have a dog there with other climbers around?

Thanks,
    Kyle.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

KylieWyley wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to tell me if the climb is manageable for dogs? I have a German Shepherd that I like to bring everywhere with me. It wouldn't be too steep for her, would it? Or, how narrow is the track? Would it be considered rude to have a dog there with other climbers around?
    Last time I climbed it there was a guy with a wolf. An actual wolf, I kid you not.

There's no issue bringing a dog, and she'll probably find it a lot easier than you will :)

Cool, thanks.

The doggie will be getting a big walkie so :)

• Advertisement

Always meet people on it with dogs, no problem for them with climbing it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lol I have heard it all now, a wolf!!!

Thanks made it up no bother with one arm behind me dragging the little one the whole way. She whinged a little bit towards the top but to be honest I was nearly the same myself.:)
    The missus fell on the way down though but she was all right in the end.

Fair play. Its hard to drag a wee one up the mountain, never mind a child!! Nice day for it, was up there at 8am myself for a run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The moving stones on the way down are ****ing annoying though

The moving stones on the way down are ****ing annoying though

It would be more annoying if they were moving statues..... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Sometimes the old people are like statues blocking your way alright.

yop wrote: »
    Fair play. Its hard to drag a wee one up the mountain, never mind a child!! Nice day for it, was up there at 8am myself for a run.

C4984DD0F80A4198AFB843912DD051A8-0000322222-0002285585-00800L-CBD3C238B28846E4AAC8E4707FE673A5.jpg

This was one man's solution to child transportation - NOT RECOMMENDED!

that is deadly! my young one though is six so it would be some job getting her into that!:)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Considering how very common it is to land on your backside during a descent, that really doesn't look like a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

C4984DD0F80A4198AFB843912DD051A8-0000322222-0002285585-00800L-CBD3C238B28846E4AAC8E4707FE673A5.jpg

dumbass !!! some peoples stupidity never ceases to amaze me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I climbed Croagh Patrick on Wednesday and was wrecked after it. It's fairly easy until you come to the point where there is just loose rocks. I'd definately climb it again.

Climbed it a good few times myself, did the 7 day challenge in March and find the first part before the flat bit is the worst!

suppose ya never thought about that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Raced it yesterday as part of imra race. The up bit is a lot of walking. Very few can run all that. This year we descended to Lecanvey to avoid the walkers as we descended. Much safer that way. I continue to be amazed at the no. of people who think it is a good idea for a walk to bring their young kids up Croagh Patrick. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

S|logger, maybe it is unwise to bring small children up the Reek.

However as it is a place of pilgrimage used by people of all ages, perhaps you are compromising their safety by running on it. Somebody running down the steeper parts could cause or suffer serious injury if there is a collision.

nuac wrote: »
    S|logger, maybe it is unwise to bring small children up the Reek.

However as it is a place of pilgrimage used by people of all ages, perhaps you are compromising their safety by running on it. Somebody running down the steeper parts could cause or suffer serious injury if their is a collision.

Did you read my post? We ran down towards Lecanvey and in so doing avoided the pilgrims. We had first aid support and there wasn't a single incident on the day.

ok man but it's a bit much calling people idiots.

ok man but it's a bit much calling people idiots.

Really? Young kids have no place on the reek. Its treacherous enough for adults. I've kids myself. I'd wait til they were mid teens to consider bringing them up but its not something to be done lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 pearliewhite

Jesus it's not that bad!! mid teens?? any reasonably fit child of 7+ should be well able for it. I've climbed it every Reek Sunday since I was 7 and I'm 23 now. If anything it's easier at that age! The Scouts go up all the time with kids :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement