Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croagh Patrick

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Fair point. Certainly a lot children heading up there are more nimble footed and able for it than some of the adults with them. People heading up a hill should be prepared for it and know whats in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

Possibly climbing Croagh Patrick in September for Charity! I'm reasonably fit and reckon I could do it handy enough. So in order to try and generate a few extra quid I'm contemplating doing it bare foot!!

What are peoples opinions on this? Is it bareable/advisable??? How long would it take barefoot?

I'm not trying to be a hero just want to generate as much cash as possible...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

GampDub wrote: »
    Possibly climbing Croagh Patrick in September for Charity! I'm reasonably fit and reckon I could do it handy enough. So in order to try and generate a few extra quid I'm contemplating doing it bare foot!!

What are peoples opinions on this? Is it bareable/advisable??? How long would it take barefoot?

I'm not trying to be a hero just want to generate as much cash as possible...

Fair play. Well manageable, I met about 10 people who were barefoot on Saturday when doing that 12 in 24 challenge with a mate. Not sure how long it took them to be honest. You are PROBABLY looking at 3hrs up and down, maybe more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Its MUCH easier if you do it from the Mayo Mountain Rescue Base which is to the south....you should be on the saddle in little over half an hour and at the base of the scree in 45 minutes. You'd have more energy left for the hard bit then ;-)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

exaisle wrote: »
    Its MUCH easier if you do it from the Mayo Mountain Rescue Base which is to the south....you should be on the saddle in little over half an hour and at the base of the scree in 45 minutes. You'd have more energy left for the hard bit then ;-)

Yes, but the pilgrimage is from the front so thats proably what he wants to do. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

Thanks for the info so far...

I'll be doing it with the Charity so I suppose the route would be predetermined by them as there should be a group doing it...

I suppose my main worry is getting severely cut on rocks and not being able to complete... Would be an awful shame if I was to collect money and not finish bare foot as planned??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

If you do it barefoot you will probably double your time up and back....and risk getting a few decent cuts too.

Wearing decent boots will help hugely....mind you, Ive seen women in heels doing it....not sure if that was some kind of strange penance ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 portwest

finbarrk wrote: »
    Does anyone know whats the quickest time someone has climbed Croagh Patrick in?
    I've climbed Croagh Patrick twice, last year and this year with my seven and nine year old daughters in four and half hours approximately with a few breaks,it was no bother at all.:)

portwest wrote: »
    I've climbed Croagh Patrick twice, last year and this year with my seven and nine year old daughters in four and half hours approximately with a few breaks,it was no bother at all.:)

Thats hardly the quickest time as requested ;):p

Hard to get kids up and down. Taking it slow was a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

John Brooks ran it from Campbells to the Church AND back to Campbells in
    42 min 43 seconds in 2004.

He must have gone up in about 26/27 minutes came down in about 15/16.

http://www.imra.ie/events/view/tab/history/id/837/?order=time

No, I don't know how he did it either but then I wouldn't have believed it possible to climb it 12 times in 24 hours either.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

John Brooks got to the top in about 29 minutes, and the descent there are a few "short cuts" so coming down is significantly quicker. I have gone up from Campbell's pub to the top in training from 28 minutes to 32 minutes depending on conditions and the number of people going up. At Connacht champs last year the number of walkers were so many that times for the runners were affected and therefore the Irish Mountain Running Association has decided to no longer use Croagh Patrick for the Connacht Championship. There are also non-technical paths going up The Reek which are far easier to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

jeez rob, maybe this hill runnings not for me after all, so whats an average time , or can i see past results anywhere, i know im taking this thread off track a bit.. sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

I ran up once in 15 minutes so it can be easily done, I was sprinting though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

bensweeney wrote: »

good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭eaglej13

i been up once barefoot, takes about half an hour extra going up. there use to be a poster with the quickest time recorded at the foot of the climb, ask the guy who sells the sticks but i,m nearly sure quickest time up AND down is 23 minutes

Woody - you can look on the website for the Irish Mountain Running Association - the average for a top class mountain runner is between 29 to 31 minutes and a good runner 31 to 33 minutes.

Ben - from what side of the Reek did you ascend? and from where did you start the ascent?

Ben - ascent is mainly counted from Campbell's pub, Murrisk up to the Church at the top. The route from the Mountain Rescue at the Owenwee bog location is a much shorter distance to take.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You should give Guinness a call :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

eaglej13 wrote: »
    i been up once barefoot, takes about half an hour extra going up. there use to be a poster with the quickest time recorded at the foot of the climb, ask the guy who sells the sticks but i,m nearly sure quickest time up AND down is 23 minutes

I timed it, it took me 15 minutes to get to the top. My seats were at the very top but there was a big crowd in, I would of got there quicker otherwise. There was a double header on

I timed it, it took me 15 minutes to get to the top. My seats were at the very top but there was a big crowd in, I would of got there quicker otherwise. There was a double header on

A comedian! :) Think you got a few with that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

robroy1234 wrote: »
    Woody - you can look on the website for the Irish Mountain Running Association - the average for a top class mountain runner is between 29 to 31 minutes and a good runner 31 to 33 minutes.

Ben - from what side of the Reek did you ascend? and from where did you start the ascent?

im probably a bad runner then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

but would ya of ?

Ben here is having a laugh at us all, otherwise he would then be claiming to have ascended the Reek twice as fast as well-established world-class international mountain runners..of course it all depends on when and where you start your watch. For IMRA races on the Reek it was from Campbell's pub up to the church, around the church and then back down to Campbell's. Last year it was changed so that finish would be in Kilsallagh to avoid clashing with walkers. The fastest ascent and descent is recorded by John Brooks in 2004, regardless of the leg-pulling down by the fella selling sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

but would ya of ?

You of got a point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

robroy1234 wrote: »
    Ben here is having a laugh at us all, otherwise he would then be claiming to have ascended the Reek twice as fast as well-established world-class international mountain runners..of course it all depends on when and where you start your watch. For IMRA races on the Reek it was from Campbell's pub up to the church, around the church and then back down to Campbell's. Last year it was changed so that finish would be in Kilsallagh to avoid clashing with walkers. The fastest ascent and descent is recorded by John Brooks in 2004, regardless of the leg-pulling down by the fella selling sticks.

I think he's talking about Croke Park and not Croagh Patrick. :pac:

Yeah - Kind of figured out that Ben was probably thinking of somewhere else....the problem is that people do not respect the Mountains here and how tough they really are, especially when the weather turns and that can happen extremely quickly. You can over-estimate yourself or under-estimate the mountain - but don't do both...

Croagh Patrick - Croke Park.....yeah easy mistake to make....doh

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pat.folan

I did the walk to the top for te first time last Sunday, to avoid the crowds on the big day. Unfit, non hill walker middle aged me did it in 2.5 hours up , 2 hours down. That was taking it easy and not pushing myself. No leg pains the next day other than a "tired" feeling.

This walk would be a challange for an eldery person but does not require training for anyone under 60 unless they want a fast time. Kids scamper up like goats.

A stick is needed for the first part of the descent as the rocks can make the going slippery. I was lucky enough to retain my dignity.

Next year I will go for a fast time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Did my first climb of the reek today :)

Made it up in 1hr, 12 mins, and down in 47 mins, so 1 hr 59mins overall.

I found the first ascent the hardest, there was no air at all, no breeze, so was roasting and out of breath from the start.

But once it levelled out, I found the going much easier.

But it rained most of the way, even though it was a lovely day on arrival, shows the unpredictability of the mountain.

Looking forward to my next time :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement