Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wallpaper Behind Radiator.

Options
  • 09-07-2007 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Ok - In the process of stripping the wallpaper in the living room, which means I'll be putting up new wallpaper soon.

My question is, would you bother removing the radiator and going through the hassle of draining the whole system, removing the rad, papering in a spot that will never be seen, refitting the rad and then filling the system and all the bleeding that will go on for months associated with such a task? Or would you just leave the rad in situ and work around it? Yes, I know that papering behind the rad would be the 'proper' job - but is it worth all the effort?

For the record, it's a 2 storey house that's 45 years old with a GFCH thats almost 20 years old.

Any opinions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

You don't have to drain the system. Just close off both valves and empty the rad by losening the values. Have something to catch the water and protect the carpet, etc as the water is likely to contain some black gunge which will stain the carpet forever. Then lift it off the bracks. Paper and reconnect and open the values again and bleed the air out as it re-fills

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You don't have to drain the system. Just close off both valves and empty the rad by losening the values. Have something to catch the water and protect the carpet, etc as the water is likely to contain some black gunge which will stain the carpet forever. Then lift it off the bracks. Paper and reconnect and open the values again and bleed the air out as it re-fills

OK - so no need to drain the system - just the rad in question. I've TRVs fitted - is this a problem or do I just wind them down to 'off'?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Correct just turn the valves off. You might want to consider buying a couple of blanks just in case the valves continue to drip. The just fit to close off the value. They are handy for when you repeat the job.

You'll get a much better finish on the paper when you remove the rad and bracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thanks for that - I think I'll give that a go.

Advertisement