Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Steering/suspension component for a '99 Levin AE111

Options
  • 09-07-2007 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Bit of a long shot this, but I thought I'd ask.

Does anyone know where I might obtain the part in the following pic: steering.jpg. The part has a ball joint that's worn and is causing some nasty pulling the in steering. Not sure what the part is called either. Basically, you're looking up at the inside of the wheel.

If you know what it is, can you recommend/know of any good places I might source such a part?

Also, I was wondering if any other Toyota models would share this part?

Cheers,

DC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Try a toyota dealer, they can get most parts for domestic japanese models

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Could be wrong but it looks like its missing the castellated cap on the nut too ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Photo is a bit too close up for me to see, but I'd swear that's an anti roll bar drop link.

Nut doesn't look original either, as there's a split pin, which should go with a castellated nut (as bushy says).

The only part of the steering with a balljoint near the wheel is the tie rod end (which that aint).

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Thanks for the responses lads. Will ask a Toyota Dealer and see if they can sort me out. I fear it could be part of the (in)famous Super Strut Suspension. Sorry the pic is a bit messy, I should've taken one a bit further away too. I'll check the castellated cap/nut out also.

Cheers,

DC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Well I know a bloke in Cork who is prolly the best i've seen at Toyotas. The man knows everything, still bit of a trip down to him but if your interested he's be cheaper then a dealer and would get you the right part without messing about. Hey mebbe he'll send the parts up to you if you pasy the P&P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭paul moore

ok got ur PM,
    this is known as a part of the super strut suspension,on the celica (part is alot bigger) they nick-name it the "figure of 8"
    Check this part number with ur local dealer or Jap parts on :01 8351740,they sell genuine parts & are most of the time cheaper

48066-12020 im getting the same number for the rhs & lhs !!
    (arm sub-assy,front suspension camber control)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭paul moore

sorry forgot to say,you have 2 parts there with ball joints.....the part with the wrong nut is one part,you need to check to see which one has the most play,the figure of 8 part is the cheaper of the two,but if you are getting the play where the odd nut is you will need to check this part number : 48605-19015 (ARM SUB-ASSY,FRONT SUSPENSION,LOWER)

Thanks paul! You're a legend. I've attached another couple of pics that might be easier to see...if you can confirm the part.... Also, have you any idea of price?

pic1.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    pic3.jpg

Cheers,

DC,

paul moore wrote:
    sorry forgot to say,you have 2 parts there with ball joints.....the part with the wrong nut is one part,you need to check to see which one has the most play,the figure of 8 part is the cheaper of the two,but if you are getting the play where the odd nut is you will need to check this part number : 48605-19015 (ARM SUB-ASSY,FRONT SUSPENSION,LOWER)

The play seems to be on the end where the castellated nut is.
    So am I right in saying that I should only need this part: -

48066-12020 (arm sub-assy,front suspension camber control)

Thanks again,

DC

Ordered the 'figure of 8' part today. Interesting that Jap Parts are charging the same price as the Toyota Dealer (€90). Hopefully this solves the problem!

Cheers,

DC

• Advertisement

Quick update. The part worked perfectly. No more drama from the steering when accelerating/braking. Big difference felt. Thanks all for the help.

Cheers,

DC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

dcGT wrote:
    Thanks paul! You're a legend. I've attached another couple of pics that might be easier to see...if you can confirm the part.... Also, have you any idea of price?

pic1.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    pic3.jpg

Cheers,

DC,

Pity you didn't attach those ones earlier! pic 2 and 3 are much better, with ARB in background.

Advertisement