Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to a Daisy-Chained router

Options
  • 09-07-2007 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭

OK, bit of a predicament; away on holiday, sisters needs wireless access password, it's stored on a daisy-chained router. (Forget where I wrote them down)

Setup is a Dlink-504 (I think) acting as gateway to the houses PCs with DHCP with a WRT54G connected to it which sends out our wireless signal, with DHCP turned off.

internet-->Dlink-504-->WRT54G--))WiFi))

So, my dilemma is that I need to access the 54G in order to get the access passwords. I can get to the 504 no problem through a browser and from there I have looked up the DHCP summary allocation table to get the IP for the 54G but popping that into the browser results in some stupid windows live search thing. Is it possible to access the "dumb" router through the 504?

Normally, I would reset the 54G (to enable DHCP), hook it directly to a PC and set it up again; but I'll be gone for another 2+½ months and if we went that route I can imagine a few marathon 5 hours phone-calls as we try to set it back up. This thread seems to be getting needlessly long though, so I'll nip it in the bud here.

Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

OK, bit of a predicament; away on holiday, sisters needs wireless access password, it's stored on a daisy-chained router. (Forget where I wrote them down)

internet-->Dlink-504-->WRT54G--))WiFi))

So, my dilemma is that I need to access the 54G in order to get the access passwords. I can get to the 504 no problem through a browser and from there I have looked up the DHCP summary allocation table to get the IP for the 54G but popping that into the browser results in some stupid windows live search thing. Is it possible to access the "dumb" router through the 504?

I've pretty much the same setup, and I can access my WRT54G through a browser as normal. I did have to set the operating mode to router, set the RIP to both, with the internet access part set to disabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I see. Not sure what setting I have on the 54G in that regard :(.

I assume the address you use to access the 2nd router is the one that shows up on the DHCP chart on the first?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

try admin and admin and get her to do it , the windows live issue may be the network where you are not in the house itself

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I see. Not sure what setting I have on the 54G in that regard :(.

I assume the address you use to access the 2nd router is the one that shows up on the DHCP chart on the first?

I have the 54G set to a static IP.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    try admin and admin and get her to do it , the windows live issue may be the network where you are not in the house itself

I'm sorry?

I can get into the router just fine, I don't need the default password, thanks though.

Getting her to do it is not an option, see OP.

The windows live issue is because the browser doesn't recognise the IP so does a search for it.

@Spear: I see, hmmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

good luck with that then , at least my 54g does all the dhcp for me and the switch inside it is dumb :)

The windows live issue is because the browser doesn't recognise the IP so does a search for it.

I had issues like that if the RIP setting was disabled. With it set to both it advertises it's routing tables for both LAN and wireless interfaces to the other router.

I see, sounds like it could be the issue alright. Guess they'll just have to wait until I get home. Thanks for all the advice Spear.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ViDuchie

Are you saying you definitely have the IP address of the wireless Router? Use Angry IP scanner to search all IP addresses within the local subnet range if you haven't got it. Another alternative is to use Cain & Abel from Oxid.it on a wireless computer that has at one time been connected to the wireless network. Cain & Abel can retrieve the WEP key from the password storage on that computer. Use it to connect the new computer.

Cheers,

V

I was pretty sure I had it, I would be 95% sure. I'll give the angry scanner a go though.

Cain and Abel; will that take long to retrieve the password from a computer that has previously been connected (or is currently) to the network? I have two available machines that would have accessed it previously. Although the network is secured with WPA, so I guess that's not an option really.

Thanks for your slightly "unique" approach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement