Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What exactly can I use a data cable for?

• 09-07-2007 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi. I'm thinking of gettting a data cable for my phone so that I can back up the numbers/text etc.

I was just wondering though what else can I use the cable to do.

For example, can I have some sort of commandline text message sender that will send a message through my phone. Could I say, for example, have some software that let me send a message to people from my phonebook the same as if I typed it in on the phone keypad. It would be extrememly handy if I was ever without an internet connection but had to send a lot of messages. They wouldn't be overly expenisive if they could come off my text bundle or free texts or whatever.

Are there any other neat tricks that I could do. Does it depend on the phone or software ? Is there generally open source (linux) software that I can use to "run" the phone while it is connected. I'm not really interested in putting songs or whatever other customisations on the phone, just really backing up my numbers and then possibly sending texts from the command line.

Also I've seen these vodafone pcmcia cards (or similar) that I think you put your sim card into and plug it into you laptop. If I got one of these would it do what I am asking.

If anybody knows I'd be grateful to hear
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

those cards are for data use , i mean you can put your sim in it but it`ll cost a bomb and theyre mainly for downloading things, not for backing stuff up on your computer.

i use my data cable for transferring music, software and images to and from my handset
    also you can use your phone as a modem once its connected, but again htat can be quite expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

it depends what phone ye have really

The main uses of a Data cable are puttin tones on your phone, copying photos to your PC, unlockin the phone, updating the software, and usin your phone as a wireless dial-up modem

Most new phones come with a USB cable and software

Wha phone you have????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I have a k800i and I use MyPhoneExplorer to manage my phonebook / SMS / calendar / files. It also allows me to read my SMS on my PC and send SMS from my PC through my phone.

Do you have a Sony Ericsson by chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jimmynn

ciaranfo wrote:
    I have a k800i and I use MyPhoneExplorer to manage my phonebook / SMS / calendar / files. It also allows me to read my SMS on my PC and send SMS from my PC through my phone.

Do you have a Sony Ericsson by chance?

No , unfortunately I've a Nokia 5140. That sort of sounds like what I'm looking for though. I would probably prefer some sort of command line utility. I use a perl based utility called 02sms to send my webtexts. It's also handy if I have to send them to multiple people because I can have a script to do it for me or else have groups under aliases. It would just be handy for if I'd no internet access or even if I could get incoming messages to pop up on my screen as they were delivered.

I presume that you have to have a Sony Ericsson to use this "MyPhoneExplorer", but I'll have a look around the internet.

Thanks for the quick reply by the way

I've just found something called opensync. Will have a look at it in the morning. Might be relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Yes, you have to have a Sony Ericsson for MyPhoneExplorer. Nokia PC Suite allows you to send SMS from your PC aswell though.. but the interface isnt' as great for recieving in my experience.

Hi

Thanks to everyone who replied. I think I might have found what I'm looking for. It's here

http://cihar.com/gammu/

I also found gui packages at
    http://wammu.eu/
    http://www.kmobiletools.org/

I think I'll go ahead and get a data cable and sure see what I can do with it.

Advertisement