Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

saw the film yesterday

• 09-07-2007 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭

my friend won tickets to the irish premier and i was lucky to go along.It was brilliant but they left out so much it was a little disappointing.I'm not going to ruin it for everyone who hasnt seen it but it was good:)the fight scenes were amazing!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Frank@Work

Yeh I was there too, I thought they did a good job of it. It's enebitable that they will remove alot that was in the books.

I liked that they brought some 'sets' from the other films back. Don't want to spoil though. Great fight scenes too.

Also, I though Evanna did a very good job and fair play to her for turning up.

Movie 4/5 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

when's it being properly released??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Wednesday 11th (I assume that is worldwide), going to see it tomorrow morning at 11. There is one showing tonight at 12 midnight but I won't be going to see it then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I watched the first two films and hated them, do they get any better? (films 3 > I mean) I am looking the the opinion of someone who also thinks the first two should have never been made. the thing that really put me off was the actors and those stupid f*cking accents. I decided not to watch Prisoner Of Azkaban as I didn't want my Black bastardised. does Gary Oldman do a good job? does he look like you thought Black ought to look like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Ok first 4 films have thus far been poor but they do get better as everyone grows up. Danielle radcliffe is still the worst actor ive ever seen and the new dumbledore is rubbish too but honestly the rest of the cast have gotten really good.

This film looks much darker and i honestly ahve hope for it, i hope my expectations arent crushed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Patricide wrote:
    Ok first 4 films have thus far been poor but they do get better as everyone grows up. Danielle radcliffe is still the worst actor ive ever seen and the new dumbledore is rubbish too but honestly the rest of the cast have gotten really good.

This film looks much darker and i honestly ahve hope for it, i hope my expectations arent crushed.

talken of grwoing up

you so would :D

normal_reelz-03.jpg

hahahahaha, priceless, although her new haircut doesnt suit her. She looks way better in ze movie clips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

awhir wrote:
    talken of grwoing up

you so would :D

normal_reelz-03.jpg

Yes, yes you would. Hmmm...looking forward to this film even more so now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

The Bollox wrote:
    I watched the first two films and hated them, do they get any better? (films 3 > I mean) I am looking the the opinion of someone who also thinks the first two should have never been made. the thing that really put me off was the actors and those stupid f*cking accents. I decided not to watch Prisoner Of Azkaban as I didn't want my Black bastardised. does Gary Oldman do a good job? does he look like you thought Black ought to look like?

Marked improvement after the first 2. Three and four are fairly decent films imo, changing director after 1 + 2 helped a lot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i dont think gary oldman is a good sirius tbh

• Advertisement

heard a lot of very very very bad things about this movie, the amount they left out is meant to be ridiculous and apparently they left out things that come up again in hbp.

gotta check this out asap to find out what people mean by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Patricide wrote:
    heard a lot of very very very bad things about this movie, the amount they left out is meant to be ridiculous and apparently they left out things that come up again in hbp.

gotta check this out asap to find out what people mean by that.

They've done that in everyone one of the films. I saw it this morning, and was for the most part disappointed. Everyones acting was bad, save for a few moments here and there. Read on if you've seen it.
    I particularly disliked in no order.

Hermione's sudden breath intake before almost every line. It's like she was rehearsing each and every line before she said it.

Dumbledore was neither calm nor wise, if you get me. The way he is portrayed in the book. I much preferred Richard Harris.

The fight between Dumbledore and Voldemort, although brilliant throughout, the start, where their spells "collided" a la G.o.F was retarded. It's impossible, only harry and voldemort's wands came from Fawkes, so only theirs could have collided. The rest of the fight scene, though short - was brilliant.

Cho! Betraying them!? Tut, no!

Too much was dropped out, way too much. I know the book was long and they couldn't go over everything. At times, it seemed like it was dragging, yet it was all over before I realised it and half the story hadn't been told.

I'm sure there's more to complain about, lets hope the book will bring redemption.

Yeah, there was a ludicrous amount of omissions and errors.

There was also additions to the film:
    the amount of educational decrees, some that weren't in the book

Pretty much with what theHomeofDob said, especially on the second last spoiler.

But despite all the complaints, I was still happy with it. I found the acting good, Luna's accent is priceless. And having her and Hermione in one picture....nice one;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I saw the film yesterday but not a reader of the books. Did hear a good few of my friends noting the amount of errors though. I was happy with the film all the same. Now if you don't mind, I think I'll go and
    have some pudding
    . :)

I would not call myself an eccentric fan of the series, I could quite happily not read book seven ever, yet I still can't see how you can understand anything of the proper story with all that the films have dropped. Ruu, I would most definitely recommend you read through the books. There is so much more to them, that even after seeing the films you'll find them very enjoyable. I was the same, I saw the four films, then read 6 books. Unlike The Lord of the Rings, which I'm reading now, there wasn't an issue about "knowing what's going to happen".

More things I didn't like.
    The death eaters masks, in G.o.F they were good, simple, yet that's how they were described. The masks in this film are more like masks Dr. Doom would wear.

The apparition effects were well done, even though they had different colours and effects (the twins, good guys, and death eaters), yet over done. i.e. one of the death eaters, while chasing harry, was flying and apparating at the same time.

Harry can't do unspoken magic, even in H.B.P he was crap at it. Yet he's whipping out the oul' attacks there like nobody's business before Sirius dies.

Come to think of it, the film does at least alleviate Cho from any blame. If you catch Snape's comment about the veritasirum in Umbridge's office. She used it in her questioning all the kids. Poor Cho, must be a right awful feeling to be in the kinda position.

Though I have many negitive comments, I think it's a good film for regular joe soap who hasn't read the books and all the kiddies. Unlike most of the previous films which were wretched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Bad acting was my main gripe. But I can't complain about omitting and changing things that were in the book. I mean it's practically impossible to transcribe the whole novel onto the screen.

Bad acting was my main gripe. But I can't complain about omitting and changing things that were in the book. I mean it's practically impossible to transcribe the whole novel onto the screen.

True, but like, when harry went to Grimauld place, would it have taken too many seconds extra to
    have Moody shove a piece of paper in Harry's hand and have him read off what it says.
    . :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I saw it earlier and I thought it was good, but there was some glaring omissions.
    I thought Sirius' death was too casual, not enough drama. They skipped out the whole part about it being love that protects Harry, which I think is the main theme of the entire series. They skipped nearly all of the scene with Dumbledore and Harry at the end, which was really important.

The effects and sets were excellent though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

The Bollox wrote:

I'd say the third film is where the films started to get pretty decent. The first two movies were too kiddie-ish but the third film is where things start to get darker and getting Alfonso Cuarón to direct was a fantastic move. After book three, things do get even darker but the books are longer so it is difficult to fit everything into the movies so I think the third movie is the best so far that I've seen (I haven't seen OOTP yet) since it's not overweight with plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

David Yates really did an awful job with this film and my biggest issue is the lack of flow in the movie as it dosent feel like your watching a tale unfold but rather viewing a number of different setpeices.

The best way to discribe OoTP is like watching the web slots Battlestar Galactia did between series 2 and 3 to set the stage for the 3rd season to romp into full gear right from the start and makes OoTP just a setting the stage flick for HBP.

Far to many on the actors playing the main cast were allowed to phone in their performance dosent help either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

What I did like about the movie is how they handled Snape. They've set it up very well for Harry to have a legitimate grudge against him in the next movie.
    In the book, it was unrealistic for Harry to blame Snape as much as he did for the death of Sirius, as Harry himself and Kreacher were both as much to blame or more for what happened.

However, in the movie, the fact that Snape kicked Harry out of Occlumency for seeing a memory, rather than Harry actually invading his thoughts, and Snape giving Umbridge real Veritaserum both make him more indirectly responsible.

I did think the movie was like watching a jumble of random scenes thrown together, but it was always going to be the most difficult book to adapt. The previous four had been like year long stories with one kind of secret villain and a mystery that had to be solved. But this book was a transition - there was a lot more introspection and growing on Harry's part, but it was mostly in his own mind. I think they did a good job with it, and I don't mind that a lot was cut out. At the end of the day, literature and movies are two completely different mediums - you're never going to be able to recreate the experience of reading a book for the first time by watching a movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I thought the film was horrible. Poor show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Mkl

No quidditch at all?? i mean come on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I must admit, I cringed when Voldemort was possessing Harry in the ministry and Harry says "You'll never know love or friendship". The scene would have been so much better if harry had of said "Kill me now Dumbledore" as he does in the books. Then Dumbledore could have said his "its not what makes you alike, but what makes you different" thing, the montage of happy things could play, and then Voldemort could leave Harry. It would have a much more dramatic effect. Imagine Ron, Hermione etc. walking in (as they didnt do in the books) and hearing Harry say that to Dumbledore? It would have been pretty cool in my opinion. I'm really at a loss as to why they gave him that line as it improved the scene in no way.

Also, the music at some points, was very "happy" for the want of a better word. e.g. the DA scenes were accompanied by a happy, all to childish music. The same happens when the end credits roll - after a pretty dark movie, we're greeted with something that would be quite at home in a disney movie. Lets hope they give this Nicholas Hooper guy the boot and bring back Patrick Doyle for The Half Blood Prince.

They're my big gripes about a movie which overall, i enjoyed. The new characters were great, especially Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange. She stole every scence she appeared in. Evanna Lynch also deserves a mention for a great portrayal of Luna.

Best scene? Without a doubt the fight between the Death Eaters and the Order in the ministry. Got a shiver down my spine when Moody, Tonks, Lupin and Kingsley apparated.

I'd give it 3/5. Second best of the series so far, behind The Goblet of Fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 elaine_d18

I thought the first 4 films were really boring but The Order of the Phoenix is really goo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

daniel radcliffe is just a plank. he's kinda ruined the character of harry for me in the books cos i can only picture that eejit "acting" everything! its painful...

it also wrecks my head that his freakin eyes are blue!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

yeah i mean they could have made him wear green contacts!they go on enough in the book about them being green lke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

exactly! its like a whole big important thing or somethin! "you have your mother's eyes" blah blah! and then his eyes are green for like a second in this film?? wtf like????

i overreact about these sort of things cos im a terrible perfectionist! :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Faith wrote:
    I saw it earlier and I thought it was good, but there was some glaring omissions.
    I thought Sirius' death was too casual, not enough drama. They skipped out the whole part about it being love that protects Harry, which I think is the main theme of the entire series. They skipped nearly all of the scene with Dumbledore and Harry at the end, which was really important.

The effects and sets were excellent though!

Couldn't agree more - that was pretty disappointing. I cant recall the book very well, but that was one issue I was annoyed about. Most people were annoyed that so much was cut out - longest book, shortest film.

Lovejoy(is that her name) - the Irish girl - was brilliant. Fantastic. Did us proud if you ask me, and really spiced up the movie.

Oh and I agree - Hermoine is fit.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote:
    Couldn't agree more - that was pretty disappointing. I cant recall the book very well, but that was one issue I was annoyed about. Most people were annoyed that so much was cut out - longest book, shortest film.

Lovejoy(is that her name) - the Irish girl - was brilliant. Fantastic. Did us proud if you ask me, and really spiced up the movie.

Oh and I agree - Hermoine is fit.

The only arguement for cutting stuff out is due to the length of the book. Now, I will admit I cant remember the book too well, but I dont know what else I would have put in/taken out.

Its Lovegood your talking about(watching too much Soccer AM with the Lovejoy eh?). I pretty much burst out laughing when she started speaking, the accent was brilliant for her. Not in a bad way either. She did amazingly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

The only HP film I don't think was a complete and total disaster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It was ok, not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

I loved the new film, for me it's a toss-up between that and Prisoner of Azkaban for best of the movies. Luna is freakin hilarious and Imelda Staunton has Umbridge (bitch!!) to a tee. Also, we got to see plenty of Emma Watson (alllright!!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Robbiethe3rd

I actually the new film, taking into account how difficult it is to compress the largest of the series into just over 2 hrs. But having read the books Im not to sure how much sense it makes to someone who hasnt read them.

I hated the first two movies but I think this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjWGgWnd6Ec&NR=1
    points out everything that was wrong with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Ah I hated that they blamed Cho. The Marietta 'SNEAK' thing could have been awesome. I suppose that doesn't get rid of how Harry and Cho were meant to have a disastrous date...it could have had them just drifting apart. And there was no interview! AND they're performing levicorpus like nobody's business, when they don't know of the incantation until Book 6! The Dementors are ridiculous, they're meant to be big, with scabbed hands, and cloaked, not looking like ragged little sacks flying everywhere- they don't fly! Bellatrix, Umbridge and Luna are brilliant though. Why doesn't Sirius give harry the mirror? They've kinda ruined that for book 7 now. And I hated the Room of Requirement, I pictured it as a warm, square room and instead it's dark and weird-shaped.. Ministry bit was perfect though. overall, yes they have to compress it, but they don't have to twist things so much..

• Advertisement

well i fianlly saw it, although they took some SEVERE libertys with the book the film was pretty enjoyable, the dementors were ****e though, your not meant to know whats underneeth there hood, there shouldnt have been a skeleton face.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah I hated that they blamed Cho. The Marietta 'SNEAK' thing could have been awesome. I suppose that doesn't get rid of how Harry and Cho were meant to have a disastrous date...it could have had them just drifting apart. And there was no interview! AND they're performing levicorpus like nobody's business, when they don't know of the incantation until Book 6! The Dementors are ridiculous, they're meant to be big, with scabbed hands, and cloaked, not looking like ragged little sacks flying everywhere- they don't fly! Bellatrix, Umbridge and Luna are brilliant though. Why doesn't Sirius give harry the mirror? They've kinda ruined that for book 7 now. And I hated the Room of Requirement, I pictured it as a warm, square room and instead it's dark and weird-shaped.. Ministry bit was perfect though. overall, yes they have to compress it, but they don't have to twist things so much..
    Well the room changes shape etc.
    Where did they use levicorpus?

Alos, dementors are meant to be pretty much floating black hooded robes, nothing else damn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

During the DA, when they have someone floating on weird-looking air, the incantation shouted is levicorpus, and it's used again in the Ministry.

Yes but Book 3 has the Dementors being huge, and gliding along..not flying.

The description of the room for the DA has books, dark-detectors, and cushions. You also get the impression it's a warm sort of room.

yup, gliding along, demontors were changed totally. Still noone expected a director to get everything right, wouldnt mind seeing someont like peter jackson doing the last one(i mean look what he did with the lord of the rings, not perfect but imo pretty dammed close) also getting rid of danielle radcliff and that tit who plays dumbledore would make my day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

During the DA, when they have someone floating on weird-looking air, the incantation shouted is levicorpus, and it's used again in the Ministry.
    :rolleyes: levicorpus is meant to be a non-verbal spell too, these films sound like sh*te

• Advertisement

All spells can be used verbally and non verbally I believe, even though it said non verbal in the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

How bout Guillermo Del Toro? 'Pans Labyrinth' was pretty damn cool:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JacobM

It gets hairy . . .

Sh*t gets scary . . .

Then *BAM* Pooter gets aslammed by the Hammer of Thor,

Driven into the ground like a nail, leaving nothing but a pointy stick and little ripped out scraps of the Talmud.

And all was well

*tweety-bird* *tweety-bird* *butterfly*

Oh look! A deer!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

I think the first 3 films were the best .. the 4th and 5th film were the worst
    but ironically the best books were 4 & 5 ..

problem is they are relying to much on special effects and not putting any
    heart into the acting or atmosphere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I thought it was the best book and film. Even Daniel Radcliffe's acting improved a lot.

I was annoyed that Cho got blamed not her friend. I thought that the Order if the Phoenix could have made more of an appearance considering how its about them! I was disappointed at the snake scene, because in the book it's amazing. Harry fainted outside instead of in the exam....

Really emotional scenes, that I thought were important in the book, were left out like Harry smashing up Dumbledore's office at the end and Harry seeing Neville's parents in the ward at St. Mungos. They left out Quidditch getting banned and firing up the Umbridge backlash.

And I didn't remember the firework scene at all from the book.. :confused:

Advertisement