Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this a new thing in car parks??

Options
  • 09-07-2007 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

The last two of times I've entered one of the car parks in Nenagh where I live, a car coming out gave me their parking disk. Both of which had over an hour left which saved me a few pennies. So i was just wondering does this happen all over Ireland and has it been happening for ages???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I do it a fair bit. I think everyone likes beating parking prices, so it's a nice thing to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

It happens in Donegal/Tyrone/Derry regularly and has been for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I tend to do it too, with Pay & Display. It costs nothing, and it gives me that nice, warm feeling.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Before they changed the on street parking tickets in dublin to non sticky ones, people used to leave the ones with unused time on the meters for others to use. I wonder why the corpo changed the tickets? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've done it myself several times. But went to it in Naas one time and just as I was about to stick the ticket to the machine noticed it was outside the court house and though better of it. P!ssed me off as I had nearly a full hour left. Took my time getting into car but no-one else parked in that time,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

I usually do it too, for the warm fuzzy feeling as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Ahh,thats nice.... but where are all you feckers when I'm parking?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I do it too, sure I'm great I am, giving away free stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've been handed tickets with time on them before and only recently saw a ticket stuck on the machine itself so I've started doing that now too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Ahh,thats nice.... but where are all you feckers when I'm parking

Sitting there waiting for you but you never showed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

We all do it. It feels like a way of telling them to kucf off, and being nice to other motorists at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

this was proving such a problem for local councils in the UK that some installed keyboards on the ticket machines, you now have to key in the last 3 letters/numbers on your reg plate, or else the ticket is invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Muppets! How is it a problem for them? In theory they shouldn't be losing out on money seeing as that space is paid for for the duration of the ticket, regardless of who's parked there.They're only missing out on overpaid fees which they shouldn't count on anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Before they changed the on street parking tickets in dublin to non sticky ones, people used to leave the ones with unused time on the meters for others to use. I wonder why the corpo changed the tickets? :rolleyes:
    People were complaining the reason they got clamped was because there was a load of condensation in the car that loosened the sticker from the window and fell off and thats why the clampers didn't see it (likely storey of course).

So now, you are to put it on the dash board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

colm_mcm wrote:
    this was proving such a problem for local councils in the UK that some installed keyboards on the ticket machines, you now have to key in the last 3 letters/numbers on your reg plate, or else the ticket is invalid.

Entirely true - and it's not 'some', it's pretty much nationwide presently.
    Muppets! How is it a problem for them? (...) They're only missing out on overpaid fees which they shouldn't count on anyway!

It was never a 'problem' - but Councils copped on that they could double (or more) the revenue per parking space overnight, since drivers would not be able to pass credit along anymore - so they did it because they could. Simple as.

Frankly, I'm amazed Dublin corpo hasn't copped onto that one yet - it's been used for donkey's years in the UK (since before the change of reg style, e.g. when it was still A 123 BCD).

As for 'passing the credit around', I'm glad to say I've been doing it for over 17 years wherever I've been :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

That's what I thought... Yeah, it is strange that the Corpo here hasn't twigged on another easy money thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Sometimes I drive to a parking metre and I put in maybe twenty quid to get ten separate tickets. Then I give these to the next batch of people parking on that street. Immediately afterwards I drive to an ATM, take out all my money, and fling it up in the air for passers-by to grab for themselves.

You mean all you people just give the remnants of one ticket to someone? Bit mean, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

In Tullamore, the ONLY all-day aprking area is in Market Square, the rest of the town (bar the Bridge Center's parking by the hour) is a max of 2 hours. as I am self-employed, I often travel into Tullamore for meetings etc, and try and park in Market Square. €2.50 for the day, but no harm passing the ticket on to another incoming parker - pay it forward and all that! I must do it at least once a week.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Del2005 wrote:
    I've done it myself several times. But went to it in Naas one time and just as I was about to stick the ticket to the machine noticed it was outside the court house and though better of it. P!ssed me off as I had nearly a full hour left. Took my time getting into car but no-one else parked in that time,
    Why would you not want to do it outside the court house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I have handed my ticket to ppl if i am leaving and have some time left on it....... as said in here already it gives you that nice warm feeling of helping someone out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

If i have a reasonable amount of time on my ticket I give it to someone. And 50% of the time I get handed a ticket. That Karma thing really works...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I was puling into a parking space at the Red Cow park and Ride the other day, just a a car was pulling out. The driver said he had paid for the full day so I may as well park in his spot. I declined as I was in a rush but another driver did.

As I was leaving that evening, Q-Park had a guy at the exit asking to see people's receipt's to show they had paid. I told him it was in my laptop bag in the boot and there is no instruction to keep the receipt so he said ok and went on to the next driver.

Have Q-park spotted a flaw in their Luas parking schemes?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's happened to me a couple of times from the good peole in Blackrock in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

certainly happens in my home town. I parked in one of our carparks 6 days a week for a year at the cost of 2.50. Now i would be coming and going from the carpark all day heading for lunch / meetings etc and was offered tickets with some time left all the time. had to explain i had an allday one already in fear that some one thought i was being ignorant!

Good karma is what i say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Never seen this happen in Limerick with our big stupid old-fashioned parking discs. I guess we're all jerks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

are they the ones you have to stab your key through the paper for the hour and minute etc. do they still do those?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Never seen this happen in Limerick with our big stupid old-fashioned parking discs. I guess we're all jerks.

Lots of people are using ParkMagic in Limerick now. I think it's great altogether, don't even have to leave the office to add another €1.50, just give the aul mobile a tinkle.

Are they trying it in Cork now did I hear??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

colm_mcm wrote:
    are they the ones you have to stab your key through the paper for the hour and minute etc. do they still do those?

Them'd be the ones!! except they scratch now like a scratch card :rolleyes: :rolleyes: They're being phased out though as parking in the city centre is being slowly banned bit by bit :D:D:D The place is startin to look a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

And let's not forget the several parking areas replaced by taxi ranks which the taxi drivers refuse to use! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

And let's not forget the several parking areas replaced by taxi ranks which the taxi drivers refuse to use! :D
    Here here,shower of ****.

I never use them.

Advertisement