Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this a new thing in car parks??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Parking fees are not to pay for the parking spot, they are a deterrent to unnecesary use of a space. e.g. Parking in city centre for 3 hours... €7.50. Return on the 46A... €3~.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

ballooba wrote:
    Parking fees are not to pay for the parking spot, they are a deterrent to unnecesary use of a space. e.g. Parking in city centre for 3 hours... €7.50. Return on the 46A... €3~.

I think everyone here knows that, the fact still remains that when you pay you are effectively hiring a space, why should it matter who is parked there if it has been paid?

Anyway, fact of the matter is that at present the parking discs can be shared, so let's keep sharing the credit where possible, I've done this in the past where I've had more than a few mins leftover.

As for why Ireland don't use the machines like in the UK - I'm sure it's just a matter of time and money. A lot of the pay and display machines are not there that long, the councils prob spent a lot putting them there and will upgrade them in some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ballooba wrote:

what nonsense, I live in a rural area with no bus service. So, can I park for free then?

It's a motoring tax designed to milk motorists - it has nothing to do with promoting buses.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    what nonsense, I live in a rural area with no bus service. So, can I park for free then?

It's a motoring tax designed to milk motorists - it has nothing to do with promoting buses.
    It's not nonsense. It's fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

ballooba wrote:
    It's not nonsense. It's fact.
    So good you had to say it twice?

In Dublin, you can claim this as a fact, but in most of the rest of the country, there's no local bus service and an erratic, at best, service linking local villages and towns together. Example, Athlone, Bus Eirean run a local bus service which is great if you're a student wishing to go from the RTC into Golden Island, but feck all use to get from Retreat Road to RTE studio's. So taking a Taxi or driving the car in are only options, in Irish weather.
    Galway's public transport system is ok, as long as you're on a route. Cork's bus service is great if you're on a route and you like sitting on Panna looking at the shops from the bus.

Outside of Dublin, it's the Urban Councils way of mugging the motorists, who park on the streets that they, the Town councils, don't maintain as most streets are County council area's responsibility. Example, Tullamore, where the introduction of the highest per hour rate outside of Dublin led to immediate drop off in trade in the town, and massive protests by businesses, making the council backtrack and reduce fee's by 50%

• Advertisement

Bogger77 wrote:
    So good you had to say it twice?

In Dublin, you can claim this as a fact, but in most of the rest of the country, there's no local bus service and an erratic, at best, service linking local villages and towns together.
    I never siad it was to encourage bus use. I said it was to discourage unnecessary use of the space. I then proceeded to give on example. The example may be different for other parts of the country but the fact remains that the parking charge is a means of regulating the use of a limited amount of parking resources. Another example, if the parking in a town centre was free then all of the people working there would park there rather than parking away from the centre, sharing lifts, walking or other means of getting to work.

Why do shopping centre car parks charge for parking but then validate the ticket if you have business in the centre? It's not rocket science.

UCD is trying to come up with means of tackling unnecessary use of spaces on their campus by commuters. In this instance the parking fee has proved unsuccessful because the people for whom the spaces are provided can not afford the fees but the unintended users can. Thus a new mechanism, likely one of permits, will have to be designed by UCD.
    Bogger77 wrote:
    Example, Tullamore, where the introduction of the highest per hour rate outside of Dublin led to immediate drop off in trade in the town, and massive protests by businesses, making the council backtrack and reduce fee's by 50%
    There may be abuses, but that is why we have democrac and interest groups such as Chambers of Commerce.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ve also done this in Wicklow if I have time left on my ticket. The reason is not to feel good about myself but to encourage others to do it too. I have got parking fines over the past when I have merely been a few mins over the time or another time I got a ticket for being on dbl yellow line even though they were inside a parking bay. the council hadn't painted them out after extending the bay. Now don't get me wrong I do not pay the fine all of the time only if I deserved to get fined. I hate having to pay for parking when I am only running into a shop for a few mins. I see it as just another way to extract money/taxes from the mororist. Road tax is bad enough. It's not even as if your car is safe in the car parks.

I would love if everyone started to do this and it became an unwritten rule for the motorist. It's also really nice to put a smile on peoples faces!

Advertisement