Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring up a new phone line questions

Options
  • 10-07-2007 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

eircom came out to my house today to set up a new phone line

the guy checked that the box beside the front door was working and it was but he couldn't do any more that so off i went to buy some phone cable so i could have the junction box where i need it to be

here is the eircom wiring box beside the front door where the line comes in
    ?action=view&current=IMG_3725.jpg

so i ran a cable from there to the connection box in my apartment

here is a picture of the connection box that my regular phone cable from my phone plugs into (from the other side obviously)
    ?action=view&current=phone3.jpg

?action=view&current=phone1.jpg

i tried every combination of wires to get a dial tone but nothing. i believe it's just the two coloured wires that you have to use and they should go into the two centre holes but that doesn't seem to work.

any ideas please?

?action=view&current=phone2.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Guessing a bit , not responsible if it kills stuff
    poke one wire into the hole with the white square around it and one into the hole with the orange square here

?action=view&current=IMG_3725.jpg

connect the other ends of the two you used above to the centre pair here at the back of the socket

?action=view&current=phone3.jpg

should work (tm)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

1. Use one pair of wires from the cable going from Front Door to Socket, either the Blue & White/Blue (white wire with blue rings) pair, or the Orange & White/Orange pair.

2. Connect it to the pair of terminals opposite the two wires from Eircom. Make sure these wires are secure in the holes - that they are making a good connection.

3. On your Socket (Junction Box) Connect one wire from your cable to the Screw with the red wire (eg. Blue) and the other wire (eg. White Blue) to the Screw with the Green wire.

4. Get two short pieces of wire and join the two screws with the Red wires and the two screws with the Green Wires.

It looks like you have a double socket, so the last step will enable both to work.

Advertisement