Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triathlon First Timer

• 10-07-2007 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on getting into a few triathlons, probably start off with a relatively short one, just wondering if anyone has any tips on where to begin training

I'm 19 and healthy, but not the fittest at the moment so plan on spending the rest of the summer and september training hard before i even consider entering a race

I'm a former competitive swimmer so the swimming won't be a problem, the only thing is I was always a sprinter so I'll have to work on stamina

As regards running, the first thing I need is a new pair of runners if anyone could recommend one and where to buy them? And then what type of training should I be doing? I did a bit of cross country when I was younger but I never trained for it as I was always fit from other sports and didnt take it seriously

The cycle is the bit which may be the problem, I have never entered a cycle race and only have a mountain bike or an exercise bike, so any tips at all on this would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm planning on getting into a few triathlons, probably start off with a relatively short one, just wondering if anyone has any tips on where to begin training

I'm 19 and healthy, but not the fittest at the moment so plan on spending the rest of the summer and september training hard before i even consider entering a race

I'm a former competitive swimmer so the swimming won't be a problem, the only thing is I was always a sprinter so I'll have to work on stamina

As regards running, the first thing I need is a new pair of runners if anyone could recommend one and where to buy them? And then what type of training should I be doing? I did a bit of cross country when I was younger but I never trained for it as I was always fit from other sports and didnt take it seriously

The cycle is the bit which may be the problem, I have never entered a cycle race and only have a mountain bike or an exercise bike, so any tips at all on this would be appreciated

Thanks

Triathlon is a great sport catngetnosleep. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The national body for triathlon in Ireland is
    www.triathlonireland.com
    There is lots of useful information on their website including a calendar. The season will be coming to an end towards september so have a serious think now about what race you want to do
    The standard triathlon distances are
    sprint - 750 m swim, 20 km bike and 5 km run
    olympic - 1500 m swim, 40 km bike and 10 km run
    half ironman - 1900m swim, 90 km bike and 21.1 km run
    ironman - 3.8 km swim, 180 km bike and 42.2 km run (a marathon)

You don't need me to tell you how to swim. The only sggestion I would make is ifmost of your swimming has been pool based, get out into open water a bit. It's very different to swim with currents and waves and in a wetsuit. Sighting and course correction are skills that need to be mastered also.

If you need trainers I would absolutely recommend you got get your gait analysed. If you are around Dublin the places I know are amphibianking in Bray and Darcy sports in Drumcondra. Buy a good quality trainer that has the correct fit for you (not one a friend uses). For run training, start slow. It's the easiest one to pick up an injury in so use swimming and biking to build your basic fitenss and running only to learn to run. If you're going to target a sprint race I would find an interesting 5 km loop close to where yo live. Walk-run it for a while gradually increasing the amount of running you do and reduce the walking. When you can comfortably run the whole then add a couple of fast bursts into it. Say for example, speed up until you reach the next trafic lights (this is called fartlak).

You will see some people doing triathlons on mountain bikes or hybrids but they are very much in the minority. Most people will have a road bike or a tri bike (like a time trial bike). A lot of people will have very expensive "poncy" looking gear. Be prepared to feel intimidated. The cycle is the longerst part of most triathlons. The best thing to do is get out and get yourself some time in the saddle. If you're completely new a good place to start is the phoenix park. They have long sections of bike path and several sections of road are now closed off to traffic. Let me know how long you think you could comfortabley cycle for at the moment and I'll try to be a bit more specific with suggestions of how to train for this part.

One last thing is to practise transitions. These are where you move from one discipline to the other
    T1 is the swim to bike. Can you get your wetsuit off fast, remember to put your helmet on before touching your bike (a disqualification offence) etc
    T 2 is the bike to trun transition. Some people train specifically for this and it's called a brick session. Personally I've no problem "running off the bike" but some people do. It's worth practising a couple of times.

If you;ve any other questions, just ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I only do duathlons, finding the water a bit cold. :p
    There is a series of duathlons in the Phoenix Park (1st Wednesday, May - August, 7:45pm). These would be a good place to start because they are quite short (1.75mile run, 8.5 mile bike, 1.75 mile run). It gets all sorts of people and bikes so you'll easily fit in. The last one is on 1st August. Maybe join in (be there before 7pm) or just come along to watch.

If you have the money then go get a good road bike, otherwise you could change the tyres on your mountain bike to slicks (I commute on, and did a few duathlons on, Continental Sport Contact 26x1.3). This will increase your bike speed with minimal expense.
    If you go to buy a bike, you can get some advice on the Cycling forum.

A helmet is compulsory for the bike leg of a triathlon/duathlon.

Joi ning a club is a good way to get involved in training and support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

also if you don't feel up to te bike leg of a tri yet. There are some aquathons. There was one due tonight but it's been prosponed (some of the organisers are still in austria after IMA this weekend). I think the next one is in August. It's a 750 m at the bull wall past clontarf and about a 5 km run along the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bluejuice

Called in to Darcy sports last week and they were closed called in again this week at 2.15pm they were closed. So I went into spar next door and she says they've been closed for the last 2 weeks so I think they might be gone.

Ended up going to Sportsworld in Terrenure, granted they didn't have the pressure plate thing but the guy there seemed to do a bit of running and recommended a pair of Asics. Going to go for a run in them tonight and see how it goes.

Advertisement