Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search for academic papers

Options
  • 10-07-2007 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A friend of mine and I are making are economics undergraduates and are setting up a site that will primarily be a repository of academic papers. We're thinking it would be useful to include a search for articles we haven't databased.

I know that sites like this exist (see Find Me A Tune) that I presume leech off Google and return formatted results. Something like that would be ideal. I also know for a fact that the script that runs findmeatune.com was written in under a day by a second year computer science student.

I'm assuming (tell me if I'm wrong here) that a similar script could be written that instead of searching lyrics would search published economics articles. Where would be the best place to either source a script or commission someone to write it?

Thanks a lot,
    Ibid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

For long, complicated reasons, I think a bump is allowed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Why not ask the guy who did the Find Me A Tune one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

rentacoder.com or somesite like that. If that doesnt work check out your college's compsci department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

ciaranfo wrote:
    Why not ask the guy who did the Find Me A Tune one?
    He makes money from that site and doesn't want to reveal the code. Basically, he's not interested.
    damnyanks wrote:
    rentacoder.com or somesite like that. If that doesnt work check out your college's compsci department.
    That looks like a good site, thanks. Might throw a message to the Netsoc alright.
    henbane wrote:
    The problem with Google Scholar is that, for economics searches, you need to be quite precise. Words like "market" and "dollar" are far less refining than "thermodynamics". Ideally the script would leech of Google Scholar and refine the search etc. Much like you could say Google is adequate for any lyrics search etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Have a look at Google's APIs if you think you'll be using their search engine. I'm sure all of their stuff will be well documented.

http://code.google.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Farouk.Bulsara

Ibid wrote:
    I also know for a fact that the script that runs findmeatune.com was written in under a day by a second year computer science student.

Hi,

Yes - it bears the "hallmark of quality" of software written in less than a day. Sheesh! It couldn't find "Stairway to Heaven" or "Bohemian Rhapsody" when I fed it the appropriate lyrics.

Fred

Advertisement