Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Donington Disaster 1988

• 10-07-2007 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

As i'm sure we all know, this was an obvious low point in the whole monsters of Rock festival history. I have found something through Wikipedia which is a paper on the incidents at Donington in 1988.

http://www.safeconcerts.com/documents/Donintondisater1988.pdf

It's from one of the head security guys at the event and to be honest, even when i wasnt a GNR fan, i heard about the incident but i don't like how it was blamed 100% on one group or one specific thing.From reading the thing, its obvious that it was a few things that happened at the time which made the situation worse. It's an interesting read IMO, and gives another view other than the one the press gave at the time and the guy mentions the press and how they reported the tradgedy which it obviously was. And the two guys who died RIP.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

i remember this like it was yesterday....it was 20 years ago:eek: ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

jesus thats pretty intense... must have been awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'm impressed by the technical detail, I wonder do they have anyone in Ireland with as much expertise as this guy, he knows exactly what crowd densities are dangerous and why.

I think the choice quote is
    ... people behind us climbed onto our backs in an attempt to what we now know to be crowd surfing.

Scary to hear that people at the bottom of the collapse died with their bodies pushed 4 inches into the mud... they mustn't have had those plastic mats back then...

Advertisement