Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is The Marshes about to collapse???

Options
  • 10-07-2007 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the cracks all over the tiled floor of The Marshes???

The cracks run across from one support column to it's opposite one. And they are marked with little blue crosses so you can't really miss 'em!

Is the place subsiding I wonder? :eek:

Makes me nervous anyway!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Havent seen the cracks but I can say that all those fields used to be under water for most of the year, very poor land.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Uh-oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭AOR

Woo Hoo!!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've never noticed, I'll have a look though. That is all re-claimed marsh. I imagine they pile-drived the foundations though....

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Yup, I did indeed notice that, there are wee blue stars allover the place! Like Sudz said most of them are running between the columns, which doesn't bode well at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Noticed it myself - am working in the Marshes now...

er... I believe it's safe...

yeah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

lol cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Bard wrote:
    Noticed it myself - am working in the Marshes now...

er... I believe it's safe...

yeah...

Hi Bard ,

Just matter of interest who you working for in the marshes ?

Eh also back on topic when i worked there more then a year ago the cracks were appearing and the place was literally just opened.I remember having a conversation with the manager Harry traynor about it and He indeed was worried about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

'lo Sarge

I'm working for 3. They're opposite Dunnes - next to Easons.

Who did you work for there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

I for one would welcome it* :)

Unless they get a bookshop in with something other then "Crime - Irish Interest - Sports Biography"

* - of course, after hours, with all personnel removed and supplied with bullhorns

• Advertisement

Bard wrote:
    'lo Sarge

I'm working for 3. They're opposite Dunnes - next to Easons.

Who did you work for there?

I worked there nearly two years ago now when it first opened i worked for o2. it was hell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

was in it the other night didnt notice any uber cracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Themainman

Settlement cracks are fairly common in any new building, if anything the cracks are marked out for the contractor responsible to return and fix the problem. Its a huge area of tiling that may need re-laying serves the f**kers right if they didnt do the job properly in the frist place.

I've been in myself since and haven't noticed them. Are they all over the floor or around any one specific area?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The Old Shopping Centre was sinking for years and still is. If that piece of **** didn't collapse, I doubt the Marshes is on the verge..

Used to have great craic pulling pallets of moss peat across the centre from the the main store to the non food store. Still don't know how they didn't topple over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Sarge wrote:
    I worked there nearly two years ago now when it first opened i worked for o2. it was hell :)

A mate of mine, Steve, used to work there too. He said the blue neon effect nearly drove him to an anuerism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭emmet14

havent noticed them. must have allook da next time i there. wasent built on marsh land hence the da name marshs

mr_angry wrote:
    A mate of mine, Steve, used to work there too. He said the blue neon effect nearly drove him to an anuerism!

haha , trust steve to say something like that ,i believe he is writing a book now :)

Seen the craks yesterday alright. They've been highlighted so I'd imagine that some sort of work is about to be carried out on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭StewieGriffin07

Your very right, My uncles business is currently working on that at the moment, It is the layer underneath that we fiqured is moving slightly, Currently We are waiting for the head engineer to come over from england and check it out, Although we also found cracks and joint movements outside of the main structure as well, so it looks like it could be going under the knife sometime soon... More work for us:) , Its not in any serious danger. Safety wize its okay, Did you also notice that the blue emergency doors also have a main problem, beside the jewlers, The movement has caused problems with the door, And that would be classed as a Safety hazard, It should have had better foundations layed out...

• Advertisement
Advertisement