Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VoIP (SIP) over 3's UMTS network? Nokia E-Series

• 10-07-2007 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone!

I've been using Meteor's GPRS for my data needs recently, on prepay, and it works great. I'm now addicted to mobile email :) However it also does not come cheap at 5 euro/MB and I'm spending so much credit that I really should look for something cheaper.

I was thinking of going with 3 and maybe even signing up for bill pay with them, as their prepay internet has an awful proxy on it. I would then get the 100MB package or maybe even the 'unlimited' (2GB) one. If I get the unlimited one I could in theory even use it to make calls over Voice over IP. I have a Nokia E60 which supports SIP and indeed it works brilliantly over WiFi at home.

However I've heard that mobile networks can be slow and more importantly, having a high latency (delay) which affects the call quality. So I was wondering if anyone has here used SIP over 3's network and if the quality was OK. I'd be especially interested in experiences with Nokia E-Series handsets.

Any comments would be appreciated. I already tried looking in this topic for the same keywords but I couldn't find anything...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi Everyone!

I've been using Meteor's GPRS for my data needs recently, on prepay, and it works great. I'm now addicted to mobile email :) However it also does not come cheap at 5 euro/MB and I'm spending so much credit that I really should look for something cheaper.

Consider going Bill Pay with Meteor.
    That way you get to keep the setup you have which has got you
    addicted to mobile email!
    Your calls will be cheaper and you can buy a Data Addon from 100M to 10G per month once you're on billpay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

I've used Fring on 3's network in Dublin on an E61/N73/N95 and the only issue is the low volume of the person you are calling. No latency etc and the low vol is a fring issue not a network one. Its not rock solid but good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

niallb wrote:
    Consider going Bill Pay with Meteor.
    That way you get to keep the setup you have which has got you
    addicted to mobile email!
    Your calls will be cheaper and you can buy a Data Addon from 100M to 10G per month once you're on billpay.

Are you sure you're talking about Meteor? On their website they're only mentioning 15 and 25MB addons. The same as Vodafone really...

If I were to go with any other network than 3 I would prefer to go with Vodafone because all my friends are on it, and I have good experiences with them. But their data add-ons are really out of date (very small and yet expensive). I just got the meteor sim to read my email because it's a lot cheaper for gprs on prepay :) I don't use it for calls at all.

quintron wrote:
    I've used Fring on 3's network in Dublin on an E61/N73/N95 and the only issue is the low volume of the person you are calling. No latency etc and the low vol is a fring issue not a network one. Its not rock solid but good enough for me.

Thanks a million! It's good to know that it would work, it sounds like the same kind of quality as I'm getting with my current NTL broadband when I use it for VoIP (some hickups etc). That would definitely be acceptable. It's especially great to hear there's no latency!

By the way if you're using an E61 you can also use SIP natively (assuming of course that you're using fring for SIP and not something else like Skype or MSN), the volume on that is good (I use it a lot over WiFi currently) and the sound quality excellent as long as you turn the compression off. With compression it's no good thanks to Nokia's bad G.729 codec :(

I think I'll give 3 bill pay a go, I read that they have a 14-day no-hassle return policy so I might just get it and try it out, after my holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Yep SIP on E61 is fine. Was initially hard to get it working when the E61 came out first but Gizmo and Truphone made front end apps for their SIP clients and they now wipe the floor with Fring over a wifi connection. Fring though is great as a backup over a 3G network.

• Advertisement

quintron wrote:
    Yep SIP on E61 is fine. Was initially hard to get it working when the E61 came out first but Gizmo and Truphone made front end apps for their SIP clients and they now wipe the floor with Fring over a wifi connection. Fring though is great as a backup over a 3G network.

Just wondering: Do you have any problems with the built-in sip client as opposed to fring? Does fring work better over 3G? I was planning to use the built-in sip client with my provider at home (Netherlands), it works fine over WiFi but it would be even greater if it works over 3G because I would then be available on it all the time.

Advertisement