Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best motor with 3 kids kids under 4?

Options
  • 10-07-2007 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just had our 3rd child. We now have 3 kids under 4. Current family car is a 00 Scenic which is well due a change. It's a struggle getting the 3 kids plus assorted car seats in the back. Will be worse/impossible when they're all in booster seats (within 18 months or so).

Which motor to go for?.. budget is anything up to €30k & can be new or used. Would like to limit engine to 2l.

Have looked at:
    Zafira, Touran & Grand Scenic - middle row not wide enough & rear 2 seats not practical for everyday use.

Mazda 5 - quite impressed with seats & sliding doors, although would need to use 2,2,2 configuration so little or no boot space

Galaxy/Sharan/Alahmbra - too big/unwieldy

Honda FRV - 3+3 seats - very nice, but wide, expensive & very rare new or 2nd hand (not sure if this is good or bad)

I'm now thinking that we may be better with a large estate car.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

My personal choice would be the Mazda 5. They call it a 6+ 1 seater as there is a small seat in the middle row which can be folded away. In terms of boot space with three kids you can use a 2 - 2 - 1 formation as the back seats have a fifty fifty split, so you can leave one down.

The Frv Is also a good option but as you say quite rare. There is plenty of boot space in the back of it though for buggys ect.

Usually when you are buying one of these cars and not going for one of the big ones ( trajet, galaxy ect.) you are going to get a small boot.

Zafiras require a lot of maintenance ( timing belts @ 35000 mls). Mazda and honda are recognised as being the most reliable brands on the market ( even ahead of toyota) and also come with a three year warranty which you will not get from most european brands.

All in all i think the Mazda 5 -- Flexible, stylish, sliding doors, alloy wheels, a/c and good residual value( i think). It comes in the 1.8 ltr petrol engine and think cost around the 28,500 mark

Hope that helps in some small way. Can be very confusing with all the choice out there. Just don't buy a lemon that will lose all its value quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Fiat Multipla. 1.9Jtd engine. (new one looks less offensive than the original if that bothers you).
    Fantastic driving position and vision all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

We've 3 under 6 and just bought a second-hand V70 - huge inside, enormous boot & with leather & all the toys its a very nice place to be. 2.0T petrol engine so not frugal but we still get about 30mpg combined. Plus there's the optional 7 seats for when friends/cousins are about.
    Sister-in-law has a Multipla & swears by it, it is fantastically practical, if you can handle the looks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

ZV Yoda wrote:
    Just had our 3rd child. We now have 3 kids under 4.

Off topic I know, but :eek: :eek: :eek: ! 3 kids under 4.

You should get a medal for bravery, a Purple Heart or some such. I've a 5 year old and a newborn and it's tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Good advice on the options - I don't think the wife can live with the Multipla's looks (even the new one) plus we had reliability experiences with (new) Fiats in the past. I do linke the idea of Volvo/Saab Estate. Maybe 2 or 3 yrs old. Will look into that at the week-end.

It's not a purple heart I need - it's valium, alcohol & a good night's sleep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With 3 kids under 4 years old imo an estate car would simply not be practical enough. I'm thinking getting the little snappers in and out of booster seats being an obvious struggle. Imo I think an MPV will be more practical.

The first one that comes to mind is the new Citroen C4 Picasso. The 7 seater version starts at around €27,300 ex works:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=647824

Alternatively maybe a used Ford S-Max:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=700469

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

We actually went for an estate specifically because the older kids can climb into their seats themselves - plus boot space.
    A 2 1/2 yr old can get into an estate seat where the height of an MPV makes it more difficult. You still have to strap them in of course.
    Plus double-buggies, three wheelers, scooters, bikes, shopping, the estate eats it all up, few MPVs we saw could cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Pity about the Fiat, it is a fine car.

Also, I viewed the new C4 picasso recently and was mighty impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If I had three small kids, I wouldn't consider anything without sliding doors and a big boot ...i.e. Renault Kangoo, Citroen Berlingo Multispace, Fiat Doblo or VW Caddy Life (which isn't quite as ugly as the rest)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭depadz

peasant wrote:
    If I had three small kids, I wouldn't consider anything without sliding doors and a big boot ...i.e. Renault Kangoo, Citroen Berlingo Multispace, Fiat Doblo or VW Caddy Life (which isn't quite as ugly as the rest)

problem with all those is that they are really vans. So the encap rating is poor.
    OP, had a similar situation to you a while ago (3 under 3) and went with the galaxy. It was one of the few with 5stars.

The smax is a bit nicer but the boot was too small for my needs. Plus it didn't have the side airbags in teh back row.

You should pick up a new model/ex demo for the 30k mark now I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I have been doing some looking in this area too and I reckon we are going to get a Hyundai Santa Fe in early 2008. We are heading for the 2 babas under 2this Christmas so gonna trade in my S60 for a Santa Fe so I take the 2006 Golf and wife gets the Santa Fe.

Maybe it does not fall into the car/MPV category but it seems to give you lots of standard options for your € - Auto, Leather, Dual Air Con, 7 Seats, Diesel....

Think it only has 4 star NCAP rating so that's the only put off.

Prices range from approx €42k up to €46ishk for full spec.

Any one have any thoughts or experiences with the Santa Fe?

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

We recently got a 5 and have third child on the way and reckon it'll be fine for everyday but is going to be a bit awkward for trips away (not that we do that many). As mentioned it's more of a 6 and a bit seater so third child will have to be in back row which is fine for everything except the potential safety issue of loose luggage in the boot - bulk of it would be right beside the seat in the third row. Boot with third row up isn't huge as previously mentioned and you might struggle with a double buggy or multiple buggys. Doesn't have a huge amount of internal storage either (in terms of cubby's, etc..) but the rear doors on it are just brilliant - all mpv's should have them.

I'm told the Touran is about the only thing in that class that will fit 3 baby seats across the middle row so you might want to give that more consideration. Fortunately I've not had the need to try that particular theory out. Just stay away from the 1.4L as it's said to be a bit under powered for a car/mpv of that size. Then again the 1.8L 5 doesn't have much poke either.

Otherwise I'd suggest stepping up a bit in size to the likes of the Kia Carnival or Chrysler Voyager/Grand Voyager but that's a significant price jump, much bigger engine, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ZV Yoda wrote:
    .. We now have 3 kids under 4....any ideas?

sure, once you've fixed the TV, winters evenings won't be so long, and you won't go to bed so early................:D

as for the car - see my sig..............;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Corolla Verso will fit 3 child seats in the middle row, and unlike the Touran, also comes with a spare wheel.
    Updated Luna model out this week with armrests, rear electric windows, traction control, brake assist, curtain airbags, upgraded seat material, MP3/CD player, and various other bits added to the spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

colm_mcm wrote:
    ...also comes with a spare wheel.
    ...upgraded seat material...

uuuuhhhh ...ooooohhh ...aaaahhhhh :D

(anyone here a Toyota salesman by any chance ? :D )

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

zing wrote:
    We recently got a 5 and have third child on the way and reckon it'll be fine for everyday but is going to be a bit awkward for trips away (not that we do that many). As mentioned it's more of a 6 and a bit seater so third child will have to be in back row which is fine for everything except the potential safety issue of loose luggage in the boot - bulk of it would be right beside the seat in the third row. Boot with third row up isn't huge as previously mentioned and you might struggle with a double buggy or multiple buggys. Doesn't have a huge amount of internal storage either (in terms of cubby's, etc..) but the rear doors on it are just brilliant - all mpv's should have them.

I'm told the Touran is about the only thing in that class that will fit 3 baby seats across the middle row so you might want to give that more consideration. Fortunately I've not had the need to try that particular theory out. Just stay away from the 1.4L as it's said to be a bit under powered for a car/mpv of that size. Then again the 1.8L 5 doesn't have much poke either.

Otherwise I'd suggest stepping up a bit in size to the likes of the Kia Carnival or Chrysler Voyager/Grand Voyager but that's a significant price jump, much bigger engine, etc..

What are you on about?

What's "5" or a "6"? Mazda, BMW?

Loads of full sized MPV's will fit 3 baby seats side by side. See earlier posts.

Touran never came with a 1.4l engine (thankfully).

p.s. Check out the Euro Ncap results for those Chrysler wagons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I reckon something along the lines of these:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=690773

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=537346

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=736403

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=562536

Some serious bang for your buck, might even get 2 for ya!!

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=732091

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=736314

With 3 kids long journey's don't just have to fit the kids in, they have to comfortable, which rules most MPVs out by default as they're not the most comfortable of vehicles centre of gravity wise. Make sure you bring along a double buggy and travle cot and a suitcase or 2 when test driving. The Omega saloon might surprise with boot space!!

peasant wrote:
    uuuuhhhh ...ooooohhh ...aaaahhhhh :D

(anyone here a Toyota salesman by any chance ? :D )

Those are the changes, If someone saw a Corolla Verso last year and didn't like the colour or texture of the seats, or if they got a puncture in a Touran (like I did earlier in the year) these little things might be important!

BTW, Henry Ford, the Touran is available in 1.4

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It should be banned. Will be overtaken by horse and traps. The 1.6 is a slug as it is! :D

p.s. It's that gas guzzling TSI 1.4 I notice. Waste of space.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Corolla Verso will fit 3 child seats in the middle row, and unlike the Touran, also comes with a spare wheel.
    Updated Luna model out this week with armrests, rear electric windows, traction control, brake assist, curtain airbags, upgraded seat material, MP3/CD player, and various other bits added to the spec.

Pity the poor fools who bought earlier versions ;)

Traction control? You having a laugh? :D

• Advertisement

yeah the torque steer from the 1.6 is a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

What are you on about?
    What's "5" or a "6"? Mazda, BMW?

No - what are you on about ? Who referred to a "6" ? Or who referred to a BMW and last time I checked BMW don't make a "5" - they make a 5 series sure. I was replying to the op where the only 5 mentioned was a Mazda.
    Loads of full sized MPV's will fit 3 baby seats side by side. See earlier posts.

Yes - loads of full sized will. I said in that class which is the cheaper/smaller end of the MPV market. The op clearly doesn't like the size of the larger models and probably not the price either. I know someone who has 3 kids in baby seats (twins under 6 months + 1 slightly older) who spent a lot of time looking into suitable MPVs in that price bracket, eventually rushed a decision on a Zafira (I think) and regrets that now as they since discovered that the Touran will do it. (IIRC the Toyota was close but they had some issue with it that I can't remember and like the OP wouldn't go near the Multipla)

You'll also notice I used the words "I'm told" - i.e. I didn't state it as a definitive fact - just what I'd been told by others.
    Touran never came with a 1.4l engine (thankfully).

Yeah ? Tell that to VW then.
    http://www.volkswagen.ie/Configurator/index.cfm?fuseaction=vw.Variant&modelID=761&bodyID=4240

btw some of us are actually trying to offer our advice and past experience to the op - what exactly are you contributing here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I'm the OP... didn't mean to cause any hassle here...

"5" referred to Mazda 5 whoch we did test extensively, but as previously noted, it's a 6 seater plus 1 occasional seat, so child #3 will be in the back seat with the cargo!

The larger MPVs are just too bulky (my wife is not a fan of Galaxy/Voyager sized cars) - plus we don't need 7 full seats (yet)

It's an interseting thread, many of the links to cars for sale have opened up lots of options, so thanks for that... should be a busy week-end car shopping

zing wrote:
    No - what are you on about ? Who referred to a "6" ? Or who referred to a BMW and last time I checked BMW don't make a "5" - they make a 5 series sure. I was replying to the op where the only 5 mentioned was a Mazda.

Yes - loads of full sized will. I said in that class which is the cheaper/smaller end of the MPV market. The op clearly doesn't like the size of the larger models and probably not the price either. I know someone who has 3 kids in baby seats (twins under 6 months + 1 slightly older) who spent a lot of time looking into suitable MPVs in that price bracket, eventually rushed a decision on a Zafira (I think) and regrets that now as they since discovered that the Touran will do it. (IIRC the Toyota was close but they had some issue with it that I can't remember and like the OP wouldn't go near the Multipla)

You'll also notice I used the words "I'm told" - i.e. I didn't state it as a definitive fact - just what I'd been told by others.

Yeah ? Tell that to VW then.
    http://www.volkswagen.ie/Configurator/index.cfm?fuseaction=vw.Variant&modelID=761&bodyID=4240

btw some of us are actually trying to offer our advice and past experience to the op - what exactly are you contributing here ?

No interest in arguing with you.

You mentioned 5 and 6 completely out of context. OP did indeed mention a Mazda 5, amidst several other vehicles. It was far from obvious what you meant. I was lost, hence my question.

Several smaller mpv's will fit 3 child seats across the back row - Fiat Multipla and Honda FRV.

..and yes VW do market a 1.4 Touran here. They really shouldn't ;)

p.s. I'm contributing my opinion, just as you are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I have been doing some looking in this area too and I reckon we are going to get a Hyundai Santa Fe in early 2008. We are heading for the 2 babas under 2this Christmas so gonna trade in my S60 for a Santa Fe so I take the 2006 Golf and wife gets the Santa Fe.

Maybe it does not fall into the car/MPV category but it seems to give you lots of standard options for your € - Auto, Leather, Dual Air Con, 7 Seats, Diesel....

Think it only has 4 star NCAP rating so that's the only put off.

Prices range from approx €42k up to €46ishk for full spec.

Any one have any thoughts or experiences with the Santa Fe?

Paddy

Paddy we have a 03 Santa Fe and 2 kids (3rd on his way)

We're going to find it tough to fit 3 seats (boosters/baby seats combo) in the back.

Although the new models do have the extra seats in the back and still retain good boot space - I'd say the newer models would be perfect - but no earlier that 06 (i think).

My wife and mother have both fallen for the santa fe and would never move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cheekyb

Hi there,

Just read the thread and thought I should add my 2 cents-worth. We have 4 children under 3 (a two year-old and triplets of 9 months:p) and are driving a FIAT MULTIPLA (new version) which we love.

3 car seats in the rear (2 RF and 1 FF) and 1 car seat in the front (RF) between the adults.3 Graco Autobaby Bases for all the rear-facing seats so they all just click in in seconds. Britax Evolva ultra for the older one.

They fit in no worries and it is still possible to fit in both a double pram and a single pram in the boot.

Put on roof bars (Mont Blanc) and a fabric top box and we were able to go on holiday without much problem.

Great visibility. Nice drive. Extremely practical and reasonable money compared to the competition.

Our only gripes are minor on our model (limited edition Hobby version) and include: no rear electric windows on our model, crappy 'computer' and no intermittent rear wash-wipe. We can live with all of these issues to have what is otherwise a GREAT PRACTICAL vehicle for families with more than a few kids.:)

Regards to all,

Andrew M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cheekyb wrote: »
    .... We have 4 children under 3 (a two year-old and triplets of 9 months:p) and are driving a FIAT MULTIPLA (new version) which we love...

Sir, I salute your bravery....and doff my hat to you...

I'm talking about the 4 young 'uns, btw, not the Fiat - the Fiat's grand ! :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement