Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to buy a car stereo?

Options
  • 10-07-2007 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

pixmania.com is a good place i got mine there and was very easy to put it in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I wouldnt buy anaythign again from pixmainia inless i was stuck for somewhere to get it, the customer service is very poor and returning stuff to them is very difficult.

I have bought a couple car steroes off the internet, if i was getting another id first check english ebay. At the same time if you want something fairly cheap you might be aswell getting it here in a shop. Post and packag raise the price and if you have any trouble with installing it or it doesnt work etc.

Does anyone know if you got a car stereo from the US would it work in a car here ok? The radio stations might need to be reprogrammed like japanese ones maybe? Like most things they are cheaper in hte US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Argos has good prices. Much cheaper than halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Incarexpress.co.uk are good, but you say you need someone to install it too, so you might be better off buying locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd be a bit wary about Halfords fitting a stereo if it needs hooking up to an Amp - bought a Parrot bluetooth car kit from them with free fitting, went back twice and eventually got my money back as they hadn't a clue where to start (Volvo V50).

If you are around South Dublin try http://www.jdmproducts.com/ . They have done some fairly major installs for people I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Yeah, a lot of the Halfords staff don't seem to have a clue, especially if the stereo, headlight bulb or whatever isn't going into a Civic or Evo ;) Some are grand though, but for a stereo or the likes I'll do it 100% myself and recommend anyone to do the same. I bought my stereo from Komplett (http://www.komplett.ie), computer part suppliers who stock various other things in small quantities like car stereos, TVs and cameras. Delivery's always good and they're decent about taking stuff back.

Word of warning though: There are very few places who'll take back a car stereo if it turns out to be faulty from a botched installation. It's easy to install a stereo but you can also damage the car and/or the stereo if you don't think it through before doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I bought mine from a German shop on Ebay a few years ago.
    Installed it myself and only had one problem with it, anytime i turned the ignition off i lost everything on the radio........eventually i read the instructions and i just had to swap around 2 wires...........Not a bother since then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Just swap the permanent live and switched live wires....think they're yellow and red.

• Advertisement

fletch wrote:
    Just swap the permanent live and switched live wires....think they're yellow and red.

Bang on....... Thats what i had to do, something about the block system in the Pug being different. once you do that you will be grand

NiSmO wrote:

Yeah there should be a part of the 2 wires were they can swapped around, they are usually beside each other therfore it is an easy 2 second job, just swap the yellow to connect to the red and vice versa with the other wire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

There may be bullet connectors so you can easily swap the wires...don't go pulling the cables out of the blocks!

fletch wrote:
    There may be bullet connectors so you can easily swap the wires...don't go pulling the cables out of the blocks!

Yep sorry meant to say that above........You should NOT need to cut any wires, as Fletch said there should be bullet connectors on them to easily swap them out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

rowanh wrote:
    Does anyone know if you got a car stereo from the US would it work in a car here ok? The radio stations might need to be reprogrammed like japanese ones maybe? Like most things they are cheaper in hte US.

The FM radio band on a US stereo will be the same as here, so you don't have the issue you do with Japanese radios where they use a different FM range. However, the US radio goes in steps of 0.2MHz through the band, unlike here where we go through in steps of 0.1MHz. This means that stations on an "even" frequency e.g. 104.4, 95.8, might be hard to pick up as the US FM will only stop on "odd" frequencies e.g. 89.1, 105.5.

This is a small price to pay for a radio that won't pick up FM104 properly. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I got a headunit and speakers for my pug last christmas from pixmania. The stereo was around €90 inc delivery....saw the exact same one in Halford's Drogheda 2 weeks later....they wanted €125 (they had a sale on lol).
    I fitted both the headunit and the speakers. I'd never done it before. It was a bit daunting but I was surprised how easy it was. I had the same problem as other pug owners above, but just had to switch a wire around. Not an ounce of trouble since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Stephen wrote:
    Incarexpress.co.uk are good, but you say you need someone to install it too, so you might be better off buying locally.

+1

or else try www.icetronix.com who will supply & fit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

try scansounds in phibsborough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Safesounds in Drumcondra. Have been using them for years and thoroughly recommend. Will beat online prices and give you a proper installation and all round proper service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement