Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil fired central heating problem

Options
  • 10-07-2007 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have a little problem with my heating system and dont know if I need a plumber, electrician
    or boiler serviceman... hence the post :)

Oil fired central heating. Oil ran out last week, got some oil in it and bled the air out of the pipe -
    before i did this the thing was cutting out as it does as no oil was getting to the burner.

So anyway the boiler is outside, got it burning oil and was getting hot for a few mins, then it
    seemed to stop again.

Went back to utility room to make sure it was still switched on - on light was on - ie should have
    been on and working but seems nothing is getting power except the actual switch control panel.
    ie the outside boiler is dead and also no noise coming from inside the house when I turn the
    heating on ( i would usually hear what I assume is the circulating pump in the hotpress or attic -
    and a few seconds later the burner kicks in.

so in summary - turn on the heating from control panel - red light comes on to show its on,
    circulating pump doesnt turn on and burner doesnt turn on.

sorry for such a long post but i thought the more info i gave the easier it would be to diagnose :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Have you checked the switch on the boiler itself? Is it lit? Sometimes when clearing an airlock it may start up fine but not be fully clear causing it to stop a while later again. If there is a light on in that switch you most likely have more air to let out.

Another thing to check is the thermostat on the boiler. There is usually a screw on cover beside the temperature dial. This covers a trip switch. Screw the cover off and press the button underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

There is usually a red light at the boiler when it cuts out - ie when it was out of oil. But when I press the reset switch beside this the light goes off and the boilder kicks in again.

In relation to the thermostat on the boiler - i will check for this later. But shouldnt i still be able to hear the circulating pump in the house even if the boiler is not working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Does the boiler stay going after you press the reset? It will always run for a bit but if there is air in the system it will stop at the point where it's trying to fire up.

The power to the circulation pump is usually only on when the boiler is on. I reckon that the trip switch on the boiler thermostat is what's causing your problem.

the boiler did run for about 20 seconds previously before cutting out (when it wasnt getting any oil)

but now it is completely dead. I will check the trip switch you suggested later thanks :)

Well I found the trip switch thanks :) the boiler is running now and burning oil when I have it on, but the circulating pump inside the house is still not coming on.... so I assume if I left the heating on the radiators and water wouldnt get hot anyway?

maybe the pump is burned out and needs replacing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement