Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cool Car Names

Options
  • 10-07-2007 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

In contrast to the thread that identifies badly named cars surely there must be consensus on cool names too????

I like:

- Phantom (Rolls Royce)
    - Spider (Alfa)
    - Discovery, Defender & Range Rover are apt names for the vehicles they are for
    -
    will add as I think of more

edit: it doesn't matter if the car is rubbish just that the name sounds cool & would conjure up the image of a beast of a machine if you didn't know better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Some names have become cool because of the cars they are on.

Porsche 911, Golf GTI, Ferrari Superamerica all sound great to me but I am not sure if Hyundai had made a 911 and Porsche never had would I have thought of it as great.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

TVRs usually have good names, Chimeara and Tuscan spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dodge Charger. Also probably not so good if that name was applied to an 800cc Daewoo Matiz ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

i call my FLATERY

because it gets me nowhere in a hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I always thought the Fiat Tempra was a great name for a car (Minus the Fiat bit), but instead of belonging to a small family car, that it should have belonged to a 500 Bhp fire breathing monster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Robbo wrote:
    TVRs usually have good names, Chimeara and Tuscan spring to mind.
    There's one already, TVR (trevor) was identified as being bad in the worst names thread! Does that mean it balances?

Another cool name is a Honda Legend, again the name is probably nicer than the car itself though.

....oh not forgetting the Dodge Viper or Shelby Cobra (AC)

ned78 wrote:
    I always thought the Fiat Tempra was a great name for a car (Minus the Fiat bit), but instead of belonging to a small family car, that it should have belonged to a 500 Bhp fire breathing monster.

Makes me think of Tempura.

A crisp, lightly battered Fiat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I always thought "Panda" was a great name for a basic little runaround

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

I like Aston Martin Vanquish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ShowUsYourXbox

The Nissan Micra or Smart Car both grab my fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

if Hyundai had made a 911 and Porsche never had would I have thought of it as great.

The Porsche was originally to be called the 901, but Peugeot had the rights to three digit names with a zero in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The Dodge Viper is a nice name for a car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

I kinda like the Lexus Soarer as it a pretty comfortable car to drive and soars over the roads.

similar to the afore mentioned panda i also thought the Hyundai Atoz was a good name for a city car, you know itl get you from a-to-z.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Atoz now takes on a new meaing for me anyway, it actually makes sense A to Z!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Skyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

Testarossa.

Red Head. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Pontiac Trans Am

*anorak warning*

I thought the Puch "Haflinger" was a very good name too ...named after the mountain-horse whose job it took over.

haflinger_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭keltoms

betsy was always a great name! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I think the Yanks have most of the 'cool car names'market cornered,mostly animals too.

Thunderbird
    Firebird
    Cougar
    Ram
    Mustang
    Challanger
    Prowler
    Impala
    and the Puma not american.

And a few more,

Roadrunner
    Superbee

DeTomaso panthera
    Lamborgini countach
    Lamborgini Diablo
    Lotus Esprit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

450 Sel 6.9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Not sure if this qualifies as an oxymoron, but here goes...

Hillman Avenger and Hunter

cool names, but crap cars :p

and some real good ones

Ferrari Berlinetta

Lancia Fulvio

Ferrari Daytona

Cadillac Eldorado

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I think Italian names are quite good - Quattorporte, quattrovalvole, murcielago...all very poetic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Jensen Interceptor :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some I can think of:

Dodge Stealth
    Dodge Venom
    Plymouth Prowler
    Fiat Barchetta
    Lamborghini Diablo
    Saab Vigan
    Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow
    Pontiac Firebird
    Ford Thunderbird
    Bugatti Veyron
    Ferrari Enzo
    Corvette Stingray

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

a few more...

Mini (the original)
    Beetle (ditto)
    Renault Twingo
    Fiat Strada (UK or euro version of the Ritmo)
    Fiat Mirafiori
    Reliant Scimitar

and, Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Mazda Bongo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Years ago, we saw a Daihatsu Sirion, and my friend thought it would be a cool name for a metal band, just the Sirion bit obviously. He did up a metal style band logo that night, and it did actually look very good, but he a knack for doing those death metal style band logos.

The beetle oficially never was called the Beetle (until the "new Beetle" came along)

It always was the VW 1200 / 1300 / 1302

Whenever Volkswagen used the beetle (or German: Kaefer) name, they always put it in "".

Same for Citroen and the 2CV which in Germany was known as the "Ente" or duck ...nobody ever called it the "2CV" ...except for Citroen

peasant wrote:
    The beetle oficially never was called the Beetle (until the "new Beetle" came along)

It always was the VW 1200 / 1300 / 1302

Whenever Volkswagen used the beetle (or German: Kaefer) name, they always put it in "".

Same for Citroen and the 2CV which in Germany was known as the "Ente" or duck ...nobody ever called it the "2CV" ...except for Citroen

Kaefer was an abbreviation of Kraft durch Freude or "strength through joy", isn't it Peasant?

I have seen the old pictures of the early KdFs, draped in swastikas. It's interesting to see. Cars take on personalities depending on their appearance and the Beetle always seems laid back and friendly. Seeing the old nazimobile makes me think of Michael Knight's evil brother who looked amazingly similar but the addition of a peculiar beard and 'tache turned him evil.

Deux chevaux always sounds nicer than 2cvs

• Advertisement

KDF was something like a holiday organistaion for labourers ...(like Mosney for the whole nation :D ) they organised holiday camps, special cruises and a (fraudulent) savings scheme for the "peoples car".

The Beetle was named Beetle (=Kaefer) because its bonnet looked like the back wings of a beetle ..and the whole vehicle had something beetle-like

Advertisement