Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shielded ends on leads

Options
  • 10-07-2007 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question...

Y'know the way some cables, Planetwaves for example, have one shielded end?

Well.... what's the shielded end for? Does it go into the instrument or is it meant to go into the amp/input?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

It's not gonna make that much of a difference unless you're using extremely long cable runs, but shielded end would go into the amp. The shielding is only at one end to eliminate ground loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Guitar cables with one shielded end are used to reduce whats called triboelectric noise. This noise tends to travel to the nearest ground and back down the cable, generating more noise. By only having one side grounded, this noise travels one way only and is eliminated quicker....
    ...or something like that anyway:D

I can only really notice the difference on headphones. Try plugging the cable in the wrong way and you'll get a little extra hum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Shielded end in amp... excellent.

I was just curious, I only noticed it there the other day.

Advertisement