Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT question

Options
  • 10-07-2007 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Does the tyre on the spare wheel have to have the minimum legal thread?

The spare tyre is a full size one by the way

I presume the answer is yes, but it would be great if someone could confirm it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The NCT Manual says:
    Examination is confined to tyres fitted to the road wheels.
    If, however, any defect on a tyre carried on a spare wheel is seen, the driver should be advised.

So this means the car passes the NCT with a defective spare wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Well the last time I went for a test he didnt even look at the spare. He lifted the carpet saw that there was a little plastic washer screw holding down the floor cover and didnt bother checking underneath it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

If your in any doubt take out the spare, you dont need one to pass...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Dont think they check. I brought the Wifes Grand Vitara in and the didn't check the spare, I have left the wheel cover on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

I passed my NCT with a flat spare tyre. He even told me at the end.
    He said, "Do you know you have a flat spare tyre?", "Blow it up on your way home". This was the centre in Ballymun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

As far as I know you don't have to have a spare, but if you have one they are obliged to check it. Whether they can fail you for it or not that's debatable. Similarly a Garda can haul you up over having a bald spare but not do anything if you fail to carry a spare (it could be in for repair?).

What about cars with run flat tyres doing the test, they don't have a spare?

Or some cars pre run flat only came equipped with a can of Tyre Weld?

So i'd say take it out (for test), buy a can of tyre weld & away you go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

I had a buckled, bald and flat spare wheel in for an NCT once, it wasn't even mentioned. From that NCT manual extract you can see they should only advise you about it - it's not a reason for failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You're not legally obliged to carry a spare wheel at all. New honda civics don't even come with one, as I discovered when I got mine. You get a fag-lighter compressor and a bottle of gunk to repair a puncture with :eek:

Advertisement