Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 206 Clicking Noise

Options
  • 10-07-2007 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi there, In the last few days my 00 Peugeot 206 has been making a little clicking noise. It is a quiet noise and sounds like it is coming from the region of the steering wheel. Anyone got an idea as to what it might be? Nothing seems to be wrong with the car but the noise has been happening on and off since Friday evening and is not consistent :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Is it a regular tapping noise that happens in low gears? Or in all gears ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

That happened to me. It's one of the belts at the front of the engine. They are out of alignment or loose or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bamt

Did it cost much to have the belt realigned? This little clicking noise happens very rarely, and happens in any gear. It didnt happen this morning for example on way to work. It clicked a couple of times yesterday on way home.

I don't know cos I never got it fixed. The cylinder head was not put back straight and it happened after this. The belts, including the power steering one was affected. I don't think it will cost much. An hours labour and maybe a new belt. 50 quid. If that's what the problem is.

Cheers for that. I will bring it to the mechanic at some stage so and ask him to take a look. At least it doesn't sound like it is an urgent thing I should get checked out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That happened to me. It's one of the belts at the front of the engine. They are out of alignment or loose or something.
    timing or fan?

The one for the power steering I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Are your indicators working properly?
    those stalks have a habit of wearing and while the indicator is turned off it may stll click very fast but no lights on the dash for an indicator will show up or outisde the car.
    It may be the belts but i think you would hear this better if you open the bonnet?

JoeySully wrote:
    Are your indicators working properly?
    those stalks have a habit of wearing and while the indicator is turned off it may stll click very fast but no lights on the dash for an indicator will show up or outisde the car.
    It may be the belts but i think you would hear this better if you open the bonnet?

Yeah, you should be able to hear a rubbing noise from the engine.

Indicators are working correctly as far as I know. How would I be able to hear the clicking noise with the bonnet up? It only clicks when driving. Or did you mean have bonnet up when checking the indicators maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

A lot of the 206's have a spring loaded crankshaft pulley which is a regular failure (1-2 years)

It clicks away when it's gone, about £100 STG to replace + labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

bamt wrote:
    Indicators are working correctly as far as I know. How would I be able to hear the clicking noise with the bonnet up? It only clicks when driving. Or did you mean have bonnet up when checking the indicators maybe?

No two different questions.
    if its an idicator problem then you wont hear it in the engine!

I think you need to break the problem down
    you can hear it in the car
    can you hear it when you pop the bonnet
    can you hear it when idleing
    or does it only happen when the car is in motion

The sound is comming from the steering wheel area, so if its an indicator problem then it should stop if you wigggle the indicator stalk. (this is a regular problem with PUGS) but may not be this time.
    There are a lot of those blue "circuit breakes" (*wrong name" correct me someone) near the steering wheel as well and a malfuntion in one of these may cause it! regularrly its the one that controls the brake lights, are the brake lights on constantly?

if its comming from the engine then try getting someone to rev the engine to see if it happens and listen with the bonnet up.

If it only happens wen the car is in motion then i would suggest its something to do with the wheels.

Strange but the noise completely stopped dont know why :)

Advertisement