Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuits...what to wear underneath?!

Options
  • 10-07-2007 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hello!!!

I'm new to this surfin thing and I wanted to know what exactly shud a person be wearin underneath their wetsuit.....??

When i took lessons the instructor said that a swimsuit would be fine but personally...i HATE the track it makes u no like a VPL? (visible panty line)...

What can i do???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Nothing better than going commando, although it makes carpark changing rather difficult.

Just wear whatever feels comfortable. Wetsuits aren't exactly the height of fashion so a track or vpl can't make it much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

You'll start to find that commando is the easiest and most comfortable way to wear a wet suit. Failing that, you should wear tight swim wear underneath, not a pair of shorts or t-shirt.

I've gotten used to wearing a rashie underneath and shorts over the wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

wear your skin underneath! commando ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

i normally go commando but for ease of changing in public places i just leave my jocks on under neath, wearing anything non neoprene or nylon (ie rashvest type tjhings) under your suit will lose the effectiveness of the suit as far as i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

cheers for the tips!!!

I tried it commando this evening (with a bikini top tho) and it was far more comfortable :) i think i'm stickin to it...I can understand about carpark changing tho, but if ur mates are good enuff they'll hold a towel up for ya lol

yay...bring on the surf!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

It's only cotton underneath your suit that will really have an impact on the effectiveness of your suit. Cotton will take in water and get heavy and can get quite cold. There's no problem with wearing a rashvest under your suit.

Throw on a rashie instead of the bikini top and that should help stop any annoying armpit and neck rash. Makes getting changed a lot easier too.

Oh and don't wear runners (you won't be able to swim!), aran jumpers (you'll sink!) or shorts outside your wetsuit (you'll look like a kook! Really, what's the point?)

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

yeah rashvest and shorts and not GAA shorts either. I've not felt any colder with shorts underneath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

i find that cycling shorts work well, i find commando can have some problems, maybe its the suit but commando or swim shorts doesnt suit me so i wear cycling shorts underneath.

well the only reason i put the bikini top on was to stop the 'gigantor boob syndrome' from occuring but i suppose ill just have to put up with it now...

next time im in rossnowlagh, it's a rashie i'm investing in...

Cheers guys! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

oh right if that's the case then commando it is, I'll see you in rossnowlagh then, let us know when your goin:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭bush doctor

johnnyflav wrote:
    shorts over the wetsuit.
    :eek: whats the deal with this?
    See kiteboarders do it fairly often but then again they are kiteboarders :D

aoife2k wrote:
    well the only reason i put the bikini top on was to stop the 'gigantor boob syndrome' from occuring but i suppose ill just have to put up with it now...

next time im in rossnowlagh, it's a rashie i'm investing in...

Cheers guys! :D

I'm not quite sure what the "gigantor boob syndrome" is but I'm pretty sure nobody minds :)

As for the shorts outside the wetsuits, someone said to me that kitesurfers do it for comfort due to the harness which is total boll*x. It's purely a "look at me" fashion thing. Can't see anyone coming up with a genuine reason for wearing shorts outside your wettie when surfing, unless you're trying to hide an abnormally massive piece of action!

gigantor boob syndrome is when ur in ur wetsuit all zipped up and everythin, ur boobs get pushed together and look like one massive one :D....i hate that!!

Myte hit rossnowlagh this weekend for my *drum roll* 2nd ever lesson, oh yeah tee hee hee....!!!

i've only managed to kneel on the board so standing is my next challenge lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

:eek: whats the deal with this?
    See kiteboarders do it fairly often but then again they are kiteboarders :D
    i think its to save your wetsuit ass from getting ripped, not too sure though, mostly cause it looks cool! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

for kitesurfers a rashie over a wesuit makes the harness more comfortabel and it slides around your body , making toe side easier as the hook can move to the side of you body.

as for board shorts over your wetsuit, its mainy a fashion thing. kitesurfers don't spend much time in the water like surfers do. i. we don't need to paddle out, we can jump on the board in a inch of water and head out.

also we thin windsurfers look gay, so we want ot distingush oursleves from them.

as for undergarmths, a pair of speedos is a must, helps stops the chaffing around the area. when doing jumps etc, the harness can pull your suit up a bit which can be a bit of a ball breaker

ted1 wrote:
    also we thin windsurfers look gay

Hey, play nice please...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Gay? I hope that no...

ted1 wrote:
    also we thin windsurfers look gay, so we want ot distingush oursleves from them.

LMAO! So you distinguish yourselves by doing the aquatic equivalent of wearing a skirt outside a pair of pants? Brilliant! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bobawave

Hi- I just saw a new thing on e-bay- It looks perfect for under the wetsuit. no bunching up swimsuit- under clothing mens swimwear--

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

ted1 wrote: »
    for kitesurfers a rashie over a wesuit makes the harness more comfortabel and it slides around your body , making toe side easier as the hook can move to the side of you body.

as for board shorts over your wetsuit, its mainy a fashion thing. kitesurfers don't spend much time in the water like surfers do. i. we don't need to paddle out, we can jump on the board in a inch of water and head out.

as for undergarmths, a pair of speedos is a must, helps stops the chaffing around the area. when doing jumps etc, the harness can pull your suit up a bit which can be a bit of a ball breaker

In my case the shorts stop the harness from riding the hell out of me if its a waist harness no need but when i use my seat harness and i havent any shorts with me well lets say its not pretty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

ted1 wrote: »

Lol, as a windsurfer I'd actually kind of agree with you. Its the whole "shoulders back, hips tucked in" thing. Windsurfing still rules though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 DaveR321

As a kiteboarder we spend a good bit of our time sitting on our ass when we're water starting or when things go wrong and its a lot cheaper to by new shorts then a new wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Mate of mine sent me over some thermal shorts and top from France to wear under in the winter. Makes a hell of a difference in January :eek:. Bring along a dressing gown if you go commando. Looks odd but very effective. Beats the wind chill when you're getting changed for those of you who do not have the luxury of the back of a van :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

aoife2k wrote: »
    gigantor boob syndrome is when ur in ur wetsuit all zipped up and everythin, ur boobs get pushed together and look like one massive one :D....i hate that!!

Myte hit rossnowlagh this weekend for my *drum roll* 2nd ever lesson, oh yeah tee hee hee....!!!

i've only managed to kneel on the board so standing is my next challenge lol

Try wearing just a string/thong bikini bottom, and be glad your boobs are big enough for gigantor syndrome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Try wearing just a string/thong bikini bottom, and be glad your boobs are big enough for gigantor syndrome!
    Post up a few pics if you're in any doubt, we'd be glad to offer advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

In winter I use an aran jumper it's better than any rashvest i've used before even the thermal neoprene ones.

Advertisement