Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Retirement

• 10-07-2007 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,425 ✭✭✭✭

So, its a bit of a topic on here at the moment, and hopefully this thread will help people discuss it rationally, and move the focus away from the Liverpool thread.

In my opinion, professional footballers owe their country no debt of service - if they are not happy with the situation with regards the national team or setup, why should they spend weeks and months away from their families for it? Carragher, being the latest to retire from the internation scene, has been a sub when players like King and Woodgate have been picked ahead of him. I do like Woodgate, but he hasn't proved himself more then Carragher over the last number of season, this last season is the first one he has had a good go at! Coming to the stage of his career that he is, and the demands of his 'throw everything at it' style of play - why should he give up the few proper rest periods in a long and demanding season, to take part in england training sessions without ever having a real hope of playing in position?

I can see the other side of the coin - where if every player retired when not the first (or second pick) we would only have 14 players turning up to each squad; but the fact is some players will be happy enough to train and not play, some players will be happy to be there if called upon, but most of these players won't be attacked by 'opposition' fans for doing poorly in the wrong position - or get attacked by the 'oppostion' based purely on who they play for (United players suffer this more, but meh...)

I also think back to the Bently incident in the summer. I don't want to get in to the debate on that again, cause it is very much different - but something Pearce said sparked my interest at the time - it was something along the lines of: (not in these words) When your country comes calling, you answer, regardless of your physical or mental condition. Personally, i do not think that is right - but i think it is a sentiment that is at the centre of the argument saying Carragher, or Scholes for that matter, is a bottler.

What are the opinions of the rest of you?

Comments

The argument in the Pool thread was mainly focused on the phonecall to the radio station and whether or not he should have called.

As for this point, fair play to him, if he's gonna be behind inferior players he has every right to call it quits. Plus they play internationals for free when their club pays them, their careers are not infinite so they are looking to maximise their earnings which is fair enough too.

I dont agree with Pearce. If you're not fit, you're not fit. Nobody should be made risk motnhs on the sidelines and future earnings (if u cant play then u cant play well and earn urself a new improved contract or lucrative transfer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Definitely true, I agree with your post.

Why should someone like Jamie Carragher, who is obviously not a favourite of McClaren, give up his free time and go all over the world for maybe twenty minutes match time, or worse, none at all.

Worse is friendlies. If players were honest about it, most of them would rather the weeks break than heading to the arsehole of nowhere for a meaningless friensly. Sure, the players who are on the fringe of breaking into the squad, say those Under 23, maybe the friendlies are beneficial for them, but any older than that, then everyone pretty much knows what you have to offer, and if they don't, then sorry buddy, you're not good enough for the international game.

And no one can start on this bull**** about 'the players need to be tried in positions'. No, they don't. International football is not about innovation with playing styles, in this day and age. Footballers are idiots, they can't be thrown into a new scenario for a few weeks at a time and be expected to perform. Defenders who usually play as part of a back four cannot be expected to suddenly slip into a back three with wing backs. Similarly, strikers cannot be expected to be wingers, attacking midfielders aren't holding players, out and out strikers aren't in-the-holers. International managers, especially Irish and British ones, need to realise this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Just listened to the phone in.

The presenter was typical of many fans of national teams, he could not believe that a player would walk away from a chance to play for England while still in his twenties.

Fans over emphasise the interest a player has for playing for country or club.

The international game is becoming and younger and younger game, the most enthusiastic are the young lads trying to break into the squad, your Shane Longs etc, and for good or for bad, that is the way it will be for the foreseeable future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

seansouth wrote:
    Definitely true, I agree with your post.

Why should someone like Jamie Carragher, who is obviously not a favourite of McClaren, give up his free time and go all over the world for maybe twenty minutes match time, or worse, none at all.

Worse is friendlies. If players were honest about it, most of them would rather the weeks break than heading to the arsehole of nowhere for a meaningless friensly. Sure, the players who are on the fringe of breaking into the squad, say those Under 23, maybe the friendlies are beneficial for them, but any older than that, then everyone pretty much knows what you have to offer, and if they don't, then sorry buddy, you're not good enough for the international game.

And no one can start on this bull**** about 'the players need to be tried in positions'. No, they don't. International football is not about innovation with playing styles, in this day and age. Footballers are idiots, they can't be thrown into a new scenario for a few weeks at a time and be expected to perform. Defenders who usually play as part of a back four cannot be expected to suddenly slip into a back three with wing backs. Similarly, strikers cannot be expected to be wingers, attacking midfielders aren't holding players, out and out strikers aren't in-the-holers. International managers, especially Irish and British ones, need to realise this.
    You didn't mention probably the most important reason for friendlies. The more players play together the better. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Except that friendlies aren't used like that by the big teams, they are used to give people caps and try crap players. If every team used friendlies like Greece did, Greece never would have won the European Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It's also interesting that Italy usually played their first team in friendlies under Lippi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Playing for your club is your job and for the most it happens to be something you love also . Playing for your country is simply about the love of doing so and the pride you take in it .

I'm a country over club person but can't blame anyone for not playing for their country , if you don't love playing for your country then you really shouldn't be there .

One thing about Carragher's situation is he feels unwanted , no matter if it's football or something else that can really discourage and upset people and cause them to make a decision like him .
    I'd bet Carragher does love playing for England(not as much as he would foe Liverpool but he is scouse) but he feels as if he isn't really needed by his country and as such shouldn't waste his time with International football .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I am in complete agreeance with Carragher and would be of any player of his class in his situation regardless of what club they played for. He should be contending with Ferdinand as 2nd choice center back. I personally believe he is second best after Terry but I understand that there are other views out there. At the very least he should be third choice but at the moment he seems to be 5th. Why should he travel around the world away from his family, friends and club and watch from the sidelines when he should be involved ?

Hes approaching a crucial stage in his career and this could add an extra season or so onto it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eirebhoy wrote:
    You didn't mention probably the most important reason for friendlies. The more players play together the better. Simple as that.
    :D

I doubt if we'll ever agree on the friendlies. I remember we had a similar discussion about them when I was but a n00b.

Advertisement