Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no irish in limerick pub

Options
  • 10-07-2007 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

i'd heard a rumour that there was a pub in limerick which had an unfriendly policy towards irish drinkers, preferring non-nationals. the story i heard that might have been blown up a little bit is that there was even a sign up saying no irish - anyone heard about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

if anywhere its <snip> but could be wrong. They tend to prefer the international crowd and give people awful attitude on the door. never heard of a sign though but with that place it would not surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

.there was even a sign up saying no irish
    A written racist policy, good way to lose your licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thefuturehead

well i was thinking it might have been a "jokey" sign...that might not have been so jokey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

vkid wrote:
    if anywhere its <snip> but could be wrong.

good lord! is this kip still in business?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

I would find it hard to believe somebody would be so stupid as to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

good lord! is this kip still in business?

Yes. and yes it is still a kip.

Not Daffy's though, loads of Irish get served there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

If the OP wishes to send me the name of the place that is rumoured to be doing this, drom me a PM and I will see if I can get photo of sign/pub in question.

Personally I think its horse ****, but I am open to correction.

Were this true, it would have been all over the papers by now. When some pub on catherine street banned people with visible tattoos, it was all over the papers.

Whoeer put that one out into the rumour mill has an alterior motive..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

My friends, friend, told me that his mothers, sisters, sons, step-brothers, aunts, dogs, cousin twice removed, says that it's true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

The Irish know all about 'No Irish etc etc' and there is no one in this country that could get away with it for more than 5 minutes .... :cool:

I think the sign story is a wind up ..... :)

it better be ..... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

Sounds like an urban myth to me. It reminds me of that story in the Post a while back about Polish people allegedly killing and eating the swans in Arthurs Quay park as swan is a delicacy in Poland! It took a representative of a Polish organisation to say that no, poles don't eat swans and could ye calm down with the casual racism please.

There's no way any publican could get away with that. Plus its commercial suicide. Sounds well dodgy imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I remember the swan myth, what harm it is probably easier to eat a doc martin boot than it is to eat a swan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Another urban myth was the alleged car jacker in the top station on the dock road. Apparently it happens in every town throughout the british isles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

As it happens, there is I believe a hairdressers in Thomas Street in Dublin that has this policy who only serve black clients and has a sign on the door saying no whites. Can't remember the name of the place, but have heard people ringing up the radio stations to express their shock and disbelief at this and how there would be uproar if it was the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

gidget wrote:
    As it happens, there is I believe a hairdressers in Thomas Street in Dublin that has this policy who only serve black clients and has a sign on the door saying no whites.

Dunno about not serving anyone white but I think
    in Limerick there is a hairdressers that was specifically open to cater
    for African American hair.(I dont know if that is the correct term to use)
    Was watching something on the telly before where a lot of Black women
    were complaining that most hair salons dont cater specifically f
    or African American hair and how it was frustrating for them considering it needed special care.

African American hair tends to be more dry and brittle and curly and oils from the scalp dont often get the ends of the hair so it needs special care. Compared to Caucasian hair.

Kinda the oppisate for Asian hair
    which has a higher shine and high moisture content.
    Asian men tend to experience less balding (Lucky fellas!)
    Read someplace too that say because of the shape of the hair
    that the Ahem Private regions of the body the hair is very straight.
    compared to other cultures Dont know of that is true though.

Caucasian hair seems to be all over the place! with a mixure
    of everything thrown in.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I remember the swan myth, what harm it is probably easier to eat a doc martin boot than it is to eat a swan.

How to eat an Emu .....

soak your Emu in marinade for a week ...... :rolleyes:

mince it completely ....... :)

simmer slowly for 24 hours ....... :cool:

feed it to your Dog ..... :eek:

then eat the Dog ..... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yes, there is a place thats been round for years just off Parnell Street that is only for Asian hairs. Dunno if they dont take Irish bookings, but its ot their specialty

Advertisement