Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Market recently

Options
  • 10-07-2007 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

since the government announced the aboloshment of SD for FTB recently, has the market picked up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

in my opinion nope! hasn't done a blind bit of differeance. it's the hikes in interest rates that are the issue.

however daft have reported a stabilisation and rise in asking prices in some counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭conor_mc

It's crude but effective.....

DaftWatch

....and it suggests that whatever about some houses selling in the last few weeks, there's even more stock coming onto the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

actually the guy who runs daft was on news talk last week , he said there is a reduction of properties coming onto the market.

the site you referenced above even states on it that it may not be accurate and it is in no way related to daft...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

jubi lee wrote:
    the site you referenced above even states on it that it may not be accurate and it is in no way related to daft...
    Daftwatch gets its figures from the daft website. That statement is a disclaimer to the effect that daftwatch is not connected with daft (i.e. different owners).

To verify:

List all properties available in Ireland on Daft.ie

You get: "Found 45,284 Matches"

This corresponds to the figure on Daftwatch. It is over three times the amount for sale this time last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

How does a property cease been considered as 'for sale' by that statistic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

jubi lee wrote:
    actually the guy who runs daft was on news talk last week , he said there is a reduction of properties coming onto the market.

A reduction of properties coming onto the market is different from a reduction of properties on the market.

Just say there was 50,000 properties on the market and every week 500 new ones came on and 200 came off, the 50,000 figure is increasing by 300 a week. Just say we have a reduction of properties coming onto the market to 300 a week and the 200 a week coming off we still have an increase of 100 a week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Actually I've noticed several properties going sale agreed nearby within the last two weeks where nothing was happening for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nsn

SkepticOne wrote:
    Daftwatch gets its figures from the daft website. That statement is a disclaimer to the effect that daftwatch is not connected with daft (i.e. different owners).

To verify:

List all properties available in Ireland on Daft.ie

You get: "Found 45,284 Matches"

This corresponds to the figure on Daftwatch. It is over three times the amount for sale this time last year.

I've recently started tracking the listings at daft.ie and have found there to be a high level of multiple listings, around 7,000, which questions the usefulness of the total figures collected by daftwatch. Don't get me wrong, i think they are still interesting but certainly not a precise reflection of the change in properties for sale. I've just started tracking asking price changes at myhome and identified over 500 price drops last week, you can see the results here www.treesdontgrowtothesky.blogspot.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

nsn wrote:
    I've just started tracking asking price changes at myhome and identified over 500 price drops last week, you can see the results here www.treesdontgrowtothesky.blogspot.com.
    You mean your 'friend' has just started tracking asking prices? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭conor_mc

jubi lee wrote:

He also said they have over 80,000 properties for sale on Daft - that's a helluva lot!

As I said, daftwatch is crude but effective. I wouldn't quote figures from it, but you can't deny that the trend of the graph is important.

7000 duplicate ads could also be evened out by the cases of 1 single ad for multiple properties. If the figure of 80k properties for sale on daft is to be believed, there's obviously a lot of properties that fall into this category considering there are only 45k ads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

nsn wrote:
    I've recently started tracking the listings at daft.ie and have found there to be a high level of multiple listings, around 7,000, which questions the usefulness of the total figures collected by daftwatch. Don't get me wrong, i think they are still interesting but certainly not a precise reflection of the change in properties for sale. I've just started tracking asking price changes at myhome and identified over 500 price drops last week, you can see the results here www.treesdontgrowtothesky.blogspot.com.

I've just had a quick glance down through the list and spotted two duplicates. In one case the property was listed identically right underneath the first listing for it. In the second case the property was listed in Rush first then right underneath as Rush, Co.Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

Daftwatch should be used as a tool for watching trends, not absolute figures. As someone pointed out earlier, there are plenty of new developments with multiple properties in a single listing, so there are pluses and minuses to take into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nsn

dame wrote:
    I've just had a quick glance down through the list and spotted two duplicates. In one case the property was listed identically right underneath the first listing for it. In the second case the property was listed in Rush first then right underneath as Rush, Co.Dublin.

thanks for highlighting the duplicates, i've removed them now. Still refining my process for identifying them.

regards

Advertisement