Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill flies?

Options
  • 10-07-2007 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

Not sure whether to post this here or in the outdoor pursuits forum but i'll hance my arm here.

It's to do with those irritating flies that appear in the dublin hills and wicklow mountains from late may through to september and seemed to be espcially attracted to me when i go hill walking. A clouds of them - at times i must look like that character from peanuts. They are small brown or dark cloured flies
    (much bigger then midges but smaller then a normal fly). They don't bite but they do occassionally land on my back - probably looking for a drink of sweat?

They only seem to exist in hilly areas - you could be walking in marley park without a bother then just 10 minutes away up the kellystown road (and at a
    higher altitdue) - there they are.

I don't have a pic but would anyone know what they are and how to prevent them coming near me in the first place (other then a mosquito net or deet). Yes - I shower regularily and always have clean clothes on me - although on a hot day you do get damp anyhow. I very rarely see them bothering other walkers.

I'd also be interested in why they bother expending so much energy flying in endless circles around me without apparently any purpose other then the odd one resting on my back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I use citronella oil. You can get it from most health shops easily enough. Just put a few drops around the brim of your hat, or on the shoulder straps of your rucksack, and it leaves a waft of lovely lemony scent around you as you walk that seems to get rid of them. It seems less effective if you stop, but works fine as you're walking. It's powerful stuff, so don't put it directly onto your skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Cheers - i'll give it a try next weekend. I'm never too keen on deet as i don't like the smell.

Advertisement