Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 Scaled Down

Options
  • 10-07-2007 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Sounds like its gonna be crap tbh

http://uk.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUKN1024369620070710?pageNumber=1

The need for more intimacy has turned E3 into an invite-only affair, with far fewer game companies and media attendees. The 2006 show claimed about 60,000 participants; organizers expect 3,000-4,000 this year. More than 400 companies exhibited last year at the convention center, but the current count of participating companies stands at 36

Darren Gladstone, senior editor at Games for Windows magazine, said the reduced number of attendees and exhibitors is cause for concern. "It appears that all E3 has done is keep the big companies, weed out the up-and-comers and make the show less convenient for those attending," Gladstone said.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I think it was a good move to make the expo more media/publisher/developer oriented, instead of the open chaos of previous years. I don't like how they have excluded at lot of indie and small-time developers.

That said, the next few days should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

With the internet devs don't need to be at the show to feel the benefit of it. As long as the big players attend the media will be focused any gaming news. If you look around there has already been a huge amound of announcments and screenshots released from upcoming games.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Chaos is exactly what other years were like, this year looks far more possibly to be productive – although it looks somewhat more controlled by the larger players, there’s events the smaller developers are setting up around it (and said above the use of the net alone).

While my attendants at past events was at the lower scale, at least I was there to meet publishers and developers and writing about it at one level or another, there was masses who just turned up to play the games (I really wouldn’t blame them that much) – some bought passes from con artists who con real (free) press passes and sold them, others just went and paid the entrance fee registering using real but non-games companies.

The whole scale of the thing was overwhelming too, I usually tried to do too much resulting in less getting written etc, but the being able to play many of the upcoming games for the year ahead was invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Who or what do you write for monument just outta curiosity ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

For games - GamesToaster.com mainly, and one of two others the the odd bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement