Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional Licence Question

Options
  • 10-07-2007 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi

I want to apply for an Irish provisional Class A licence (Motorbike). I currently have a full UK (NI) Class B licence. Do I have to replace my Class B licence for an Irish one when applying for my Class A provisional? If I don't have to replace the licence do pending penalty points (received in republic) carry over to the new Irish Class A licence?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

if you are trying to avoid points you may have to start from scratch, sit the test etc. by pretending you have never had a licence in a different jurisdiction

or you could just get a seperate class A licence here????
    use the NI licence when driving a car, and the ROI licence when on a bike? (not sure on the legality of this, or if it is even possible to have the two licences similtaneously)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

Yeh is it possible to have a Class B NI licence and have a Class A ROI licence is what I'm looking to know

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting & Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kelzer wrote:
    Yeh is it possible to have a Class B NI licence and have a Class A ROI licence is what I'm looking to know
    Interesting question kelzer. I'm not entirely sure but there are a few questions on the application form which may affect you.

15. Do you hold a driving licence issued by any other country?

16. If yes, from what country do you hold a driving licence?

You can only apply for a ROI provisional licence if your normal residence is here (i.e. you must live here for at least 185 days per year).

Re: Penalty Points - any penalty points accrued under your UK licence will remain dormant but will be activated on issue of your provisional licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

So I'm wondering will the penatly points remain on the new provisional licence for the full two years when activated or from the date they were issued?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kelzer wrote:
    So I'm wondering will the penatly points remain on the new provisional licence for the full two years when activated or from the date they were issued?
    Which ever dates is later activation of licence or notification of points - you keep the points for 3 years.

Advertisement