Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junk Mail

Options
  • 10-07-2007 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Lately we are being bombarded with junk mail, especially from an N.I. charity company. Every morning when I am leaving to go for work, there is usually a yellow plastic bag and a leaflet asking for any old clothes, books etc... Last week we got 10 from the same company and 5 from other ones...This has been going on for the past 3 months at least.

We have never left anything out for them as we just recently moved house so we have no junk but j.c. how much sh*te do they think an average person has in their homes???

I have tried to ring the number on the leaflet but of couse it's not working and I can never see the person who is delivering the bags as it's always done very early each morning.. Is anybody else getting these??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah - I started a thread about it a while back - very bad in Dublin North alright, mind you, I recently had a load of clothes to get rid of, so availed of one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Ah sorry tbh, I had a quick look but didn't see anything on the previous threads..

The junk mail in our estate is getting really bad. Each day when I come home from work there would be at least 10 different flyers from companies advertising (and probably two copies of each), and then we get the newspapers and take away leaflets later on in the evening...

Our green bin gets jammed up pretty quick just with all that crap never mind our own recycling..

sorry, didn't mean it like that :) I put mine in AH I think.

As far as the junk mail goes - I may be able to help. I got a label maker in work and printed out a label that says "No leaflets, flyers or papers please" and stuck it on my letterbox, and you wouldn't believe it, but the junk mail stopped dead, literally overnight. I get nothing - nothing! anymore, the only exception being those clothes leaflets. I did get one leaflet for a dance school, so I posted it back without a stamp, just writing on the leaflets (so they couldn't be used again) "Please respect our wishes not to have unsolicited mail delivered".

I was amazed at how effective it was, I've lived in a few places, none of them as bad as NCD. or DCN as it's now known :) for junk mail

I don't say anything when the clothing stickers come in, because if you think about it, you don't want to piss someone off when you know they'll be around your house when you are at work. but, it costs them money to print leaflets and bags, if they are happy to lose that money by putting them through my letterbox, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I agree - it's ridiculous at the moment. We're getting these stickers about 'donating clothes to charity' non-stop recently. Two or three a day now ... they don't even bother dropping in the cheap plastic bags any more.

Most of these are bogus, I reckon. I mean there is the 'donate clothes to help breast cancer research - these clothes will not be sold' type of thing that are a clear sham.

I wonder are there any laws regulating these things?

tbh wrote:
    I got a label maker in work and printed out a label that says "No leaflets, flyers or papers please" and stuck it on my letterbox, and you wouldn't believe it, but the junk mail stopped dead, literally overnight. I get nothing - nothing! anymore, the only exception being those clothes leaflets. I did get one leaflet for a dance school, so I posted it back without a stamp, just writing on the leaflets (so they couldn't be used again) "Please respect our wishes not to have unsolicited mail delivered".

That's actually a good idea..

Going to have a nose around all the offices for a label maker now and stick it up, but with this weather it will probably just slide off after a while :rolleyes: but sure it will help in the short term:D

• Advertisement

I agree - it's ridiculous at the moment. We're getting these stickers about 'donating clothes to charity' non-stop recently. Two or three a day now ... they don't even bother dropping in the cheap plastic bags any more.

Most of these are bogus, I reckon. I mean there is the 'donate clothes to help breast cancer research - these clothes will not be sold' type of thing that are a clear sham.

I wonder are there any laws regulating these things?

I have never even seen anybody collecting them. In my mam's house they used to knock at the door and ask for their bags back if we weren't using them...

tbh is right, they must have money to waste.

There are over 250 houses in the estate. We get around 10 a week as well as our neighbours, that is one huge waste of time/money/energy... Crazy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

tbh wrote:
    yeah - I started a thread about it a while back - very bad in Dublin North alright, mind you, I recently had a load of clothes to get rid of, so availed of one of them!

Not a good idead....they are as dodgy as f*ck, always a mobile number and a registered number in Northern Ireland. I really think that your clothes will not be going to charity.

the clothes they got wouldn't suit the worst charity case mick, I was just glad to get rid of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

I have heard this being discussed on various radio shows over the years, it seems that the clothes often do go to third world countries but are sold to people rather than given to them for nothing, which is what the leaflets imply will happen to them. I have seen people dropping them in letter boxes at five in the morning, not a nice time to be woken up by the dog barking!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fill an unwanted garment with rubbish and place it in the bag and attach charity sticker. It's great for minimising refuse to your black bin and the companies involved will soon get the message. ;)

With unwanted mail which includes a Free post envelope, wrap up old telephone books and attach the free post envelope to the front and post. The junk mail company will have to pay to get rid of your telephone book and (if you include your name and address) you can rest assured that you will be removed from their list straightaway.

• Advertisement

Fill an unwanted garment with rubbish and place it in the bag and attach charity sticker. It's great for minimising refuse to your black bin and the companies involved will soon get the message. ;)

The message being "Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to fcuk you over, you are currently standing outside their house, and more than likely, they are in work. Is that a full bladder you feel?"

;)

tbh wrote:
    The message being "Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to fcuk you over, you are currently standing outside their house, and more than likely, they are in work. Is that a full bladder you feel?"

;)

:eek: :D:D

tbh wrote:

;)
    No, they just throw the bags into the van and presumably only notice when they are emptying them. :D They don't know who filled the bag with rubbish. If more people did it, they may cease to come round. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I haven't had a charity bag for a few weeks and now I have to go out and buy my own bin bags!! They must be bored with my estate! In the past I've seen them at 5.30am delivering the bags through letter boxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I have a problem with wild cats in my estate also, maybe a bowel left outside with some kitty kat & a few sleeping tablets, and then I just do what you do with your rubbish.

Genius!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

We're getting these "charity" stickers/leaflets on average now at least once a day.

The last straw on this was we got one at 4:15am today, FFS.

Guards said they had over 5 complaints already today about the same thing and they were going to see what they could do about it.

Anybody else had enough of this scam?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ve not had time to read down through all the posts but the junk mail in rush is terrible...... now i even have a skip bag company dropping skip bags at my door!!!! what next???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Dublingirl23

SMK wrote: »
    I In the past I've seen them at 5.30am delivering the bags through letter boxes!

Same here! I have to say, it was worse in Cavan. Used to come home from work with 4 or 5 of the leaflets in the door!!

I haven't had any since I moved back up to Dublin though, just junk mail from Sky etc.

I have a sign on my door say "No Unstamped Mail" but the problem nowadays is that most of this crap is being delivered by foreign nationals who may not have a great grasp of the written language.

We used have a free newspaper in NCD with the slogan " No. 1 because we listen". They certainly didn't listen to me. I told them on countless occasions that I don't want their rag in my letterbox but they persisted in issuing me with one. The problem was that the young lady delivering it didn't speak any English. I used to collect them and dump them into their office in Swords every now and again, much to the bemusement of their staff.

I don't get it anymore but I'm not sure if it's still going!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

We're getting a huge amount of the junk mail aswell. What annoys me most though is the way they don't push the stuff all the way through the letterbox. I work odd hours and have timed lighting and the like for security but its all useless if a thief can see a paper hanging out my letterbox all day.

I agree about the poor english of the delivery people as I had spoken to them but they just shrugged their shoulders and walked away. I also wrote to the paper company but they actually called around to my house to see was I getting a paper..wtf????

• Advertisement

I got another leaflet, this time at 830 this morning. So much for the sunday lie in :rolleyes:

Every leaflet thats come in over the last fortnight I have rung the mobile number on it for the craic and not one of the numbers are genuine, Im typing that like Im surprised when I'm not:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

Again on a security matter, leaving a bag outside for colection only advertises that the house is empty all day.

My sister once filled a bag and left it, maily cos she wanted rid. She came home fromwork and it was still sitting outside her door. a friendof mine who is a guard said that some burglars use this trick to notice which houses are left empty all day - they just look out for the clothes bags outside all day and then they know which house is empty all day!

If your in Balbriggan, just bring any unwanted clothes etc to the SVP - it will at least be appreciated there and not seen as an invitation to rob your house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

we were doing the garden one day and filled a black bag full of clippings and rubbish (pre brown bin, of course). It was left just at our gate while we went in for lunch. Lo and behold, along comes a van and thinks it's a charity donation and throws the bag in the back of the van :P I'm sure they had fun if they opened that in a rush on top of a pile of clothes or if it spilled in the back (dodgy cheap bags :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I'm glad we're not the only ones having junk mail problems!moved to Rush from lusk recently.Things weren't that bad in Lusk, but we get a ridiculous amount of stuff now.Everything just goes straight to the green bin, I don't even bother looking at it.Pick the envelopes out of the pile inside the door every evening and dump the rest.Although I got a leaflet in an envelope the other day (clever...means you'll at least open the envelope and flick through it).And another thing that bothers me is those clothes collection stickers.I'm up at 6am everyday and every single morning there is one of those inside the door.What time do those people deliver at, and what on earth is that about???They can't possibly be up to any good whatsoever.They go into the green bin too, but at this stage I'm seriously considering posting a sign on the door.We got the skip bags aswell...I left it outside the door untouched for about a fortnight in the hope that whoever delivered it would take a hint, but in the end it went in the bin (MY bin.which I have to pay for.In other words I'm paying to dump crap that people drop at my door and I don't want)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I have seen in skerries people leaving these bags at doors in the am. Dey look like people you would cross road to avoid. Also if you put junk in the bags to get rid of it dey dump bags over the wall at the barnageera cliffs. Have seen it there. Better to put it in proper recyling places in supermarket car parks. But with economy the way it is, maybe best to give the clothes to family members

Scumbags, end of.

Advertisement