Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden ? Poison or Not ?

Options
  • 10-07-2007 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hI, I have a lot of rhubarb growing, have been told the leaves are poison,
    want to know if it is safe to put the leaves in my compost heap.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Hello mamags.
    The oxalic acid which makes rhubarb leaves toxic is counteracted in the composting process.
    No problem, compost away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mamags

Thanks Irish Gardener, for the info, have an old cottage garden, love my nettles and dandylions as well as my flowers, will probably be tormenting you over time as I do not know alot about plants. If I like what I see....I plant it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

better still put them in a large container, fill with water, leave for 4 weeks the mix you are left with will chase off all pests from your brassicas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mamags

Thankyou too OLD BOY, might just do that with some of them, the leaves are huge on some of the rhubarb, and take up a lot of room in the compost bags, have a load of barrels around the yard catching water, thinking of the HOT DRY SUMMER we were going to have, Boy did I get that one wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Rhubarb leaves are only poisonous if they are ingested that is eaten or a tea made out of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement