Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is eircom - dead teleco walking?

Options
  • 10-07-2007 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

With the sudden surge in wireless comms for both data and voice traffic and having reched the point where companies (both 'traditional wireless (!)' and mobile providers) are now activly suggesting in advertising that you'd be mad to pay eircom 25 euro a month for line rental is that legacy company now dead teleco walking?

The main union has overwhelmingly voted for industrial action with the smaller unions expected to follow I dunno how quickly, if at all it'll impact on consumers sat at home but the timing could'nt be much worse I think.

Is this the tipping point for telecoms in Ireland?

Mike.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

International debt market shenanigans will get them.

The age of the massively leveraged buyout is drawing to a close and thats what will get eircom as their €3.5bn of bonds are rated pure junk. Its only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

I tend to disagree, a year ago it seemed Eircom was on it's last legs. People defected to other (wireless) providers as Eircom didn't push broadband hard enough. Even losing customers to BT or other carrier preselect companies did mean that revenues would be significantly less.

Also it looked like the new Ozzie boss (financial company, NOT a telco) would suck Eircom dry.

But Eircom got lucky, finally demand for BB soared and while Eircom is not providing the cheapest or the best package, at least it is the least hassle as you don't have to change. As I understand it, they are signing up 1000's of new broadband customers a month.

As much as I dislike Eircom, this will more than likely save them. Voice services are less important nowadays, and it looks like Eircom just jumped on the last (data) train.

Advertisement