Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to the game but finding WoW very addictive

Options
  • 10-07-2007 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

As in title states im new to this game and have been playing it for about 6weeks now on and off. I have a Hunter lvl38 and a warrior lvl23. Have about 300gold all ready and am enjoying the pvp battles.

Its gone so bad that i want to take some days off from work and play the game. The minute i get home from work on i go into WoW. And im thinking im not the only person who has felt the same about this game.

So anyone else in the same situation as me ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

BadCharlie wrote:
    As in title states im new to this game and have been playing it for about 6weeks now on and off. I have a Hunter lvl38 and a warrior lvl23. Have about 300gold all ready and am enjoying the pvp battles.

Its gone so bad that i want to take some days off from work and play the game. The minute i get home from work on i go into WoW. And im thinking im not the only person who has felt the same about this game.

So anyone else in the same situation as me ?
    8 million people apperently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Lots of other people. Basically, as with any addictive computer game, you want to spend all your spare time playing it. You will need to learn for yourself how to play it in moderation. Most experienced players play as much as you do, or went through phases of playing it with every spare minute they get. Just make sure it doesn't interfere too greatly with your life, e.g. don't take sick days, pay the same amount of attention to friends and family, etc.

P.S. How the hell did you make that much money at such low levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Well i do my sport still and i keep going out each week. So all in all i dont think it has affected my social life or visiting friends. Its just i love to have some time on my own and no one to bother me so i can do what i want.

How i got 300gold is easy. My friend who has been playing this game for some time said i should learn how to "Skin" & "mine" and very much most of my money has come from that. I love it when i find a field of dead animals just waiting for me to skin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

uber skin and mine ninja :P well yeah one freind jsut start new cahr and makes money so easily jsut cos ppl will buy ore and skin for any price for their low lvl alts cos lvl 70s main have a bjillion gold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Jeez, and here I am with my account which I opened in March 2005 when the game was released, and I've got one character, a level 36 paladin, with 25 gold!

TBH though I play the game in spurts and then get extremely bored of the grinding and the samey quests, and then go for months without playing.

I've cancelled my account twice too, but both times have come back a couple of months later. The last time, I even uninstalled the game, but then last month I got the Burning Crusade to see what it was like and had to re-install the original. Man re-downloading all those patches sucked. It took two days to install the game properly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TheViking

I was much the same as you man in the first place hell i wouldnt even take smoke breaks ..

i cancelled my sub months and months back ..but tbh i am going to start playing again this weekend and i cant wait i gave up smoking 3 days ago ..

i miss the horde

Well im still playing but this week i lost internet connection for 3 days :( but have it sorted now. Hunter is now lvl 48 and warrior is lvl24. Taking alot of time to lvl these guys up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

BadCharlie wrote:
    Hunter is now lvl 48 and warrior is lvl24. Taking alot of time to lvl these guys up.

take your time and enjoy it, its fierce boring at 70.

cance wrote:
    take your time and enjoy it, its fierce boring at 70.

Oh that dont sound to good, i guess there is not much else you can do when you are at 70 but just try and improve your gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TheViking

i am taking my time :) theres no rush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

BadCharlie wrote:
    Oh that dont sound to good, i guess there is not much else you can do when you are at 70 but just try and improve your gear.

Pretty much. If you enjoy raiding and grinding rep though it'll be fun enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

That's insane, I skin every single creature I come across and still couldn't afford to buy my mount until I was in the late 40s:o
    very tempted to get back into it now after a couple of months away...

Well i can say i have over 500gold now and im lvl 49. Im always in the market buying better bow's, armor, rings ect...
    I might stay as 49 for a few days and just go into the battlegrounds and have some fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

hehe yeah love bg when you hit lvl *9 but hunter would be fun cos you jsut got mail now yea? hehe hate you damn gold grinding :p no one buys my leather in ah :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Sony

Hi All, I go through patches of being engrossed in games and then patches where I dont use my pc at all-have the girlfriend, job,football etc to take up my time but at the moment im really looking to get into a game that will take up my time like FF7 did many years ago and more recently Call of Duty...

I loved the look of WOW and bought it around a year ago-gave it a couple of tries and unfortunatly just didnt get into it-can anyone convince me why I should give it another go? I absolutely loooove the look of it but found the first few tasks very boring and a didnt really know what i was doing to be honest?!!!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Sony

and why is it everytime i try to start up WOW i have to download the patch-ive done this twice and still cant get the game started???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

There have probably been many patches since you last played the game and it's doing them one at a time.

BadCharlie wrote:
    I'm 40 and in a guild of mainly 70s, and they all play tons - there seems to be plenty to do.

As for the amount of gold, here I was proud of my 200g at 35 =/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

bluewolf wrote:
    I'm 40 and in a guild of mainly 70s, and they all play tons - there seems to be plenty to do.

As for the amount of gold, here I was proud of my 200g at 35 =/

200g is loads at 35,

Most players have to beg for their mount money at 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I was in a run of the mill lvl 70 raiding Guild with only average progress through SSC and TK, when I quit a few months ago.

Between Kara runs, Gruul, Mag, SSC Clearing, SSC Progress runs and Loot Reaver.......you find yourself raiding nigh on 5 nights a week, add into that the need to grind for pots etc (I quit just before they nuked the alchemy prof) and you have a 40 hour wow week to contend with.

Thats 5 more hours than I work, and I have 2 kids, great game, but to raid the endgame properly it requires too much of a time commitment, it wasn't fair on my family, so I quit, but probably should have done so sooner.

That doesnt include the Heroic runs after raids, the playing til 3am and getting not enough fecking sleep etc etc

Inqui

• Advertisement

WellyJ wrote:
    200g is loads at 35,

Most players have to beg for their mount money at 40.
    I had a long stream of luck a while back - I kept finding blue items and they sold well. And skinning makes me a fair amount.
    Now I'm 41 with my horsy, and I've 130g. And I haven't been trying too hard to make money lately, either.

Update!

Well im still playing, and now my hunter is 67. I slowed down the lvling for a while and just enjoyed the game. I have 10k PVP kills and 2600gold. The guild im in at the moment are good. And each night there is 4 of us that join up and do some dungions.

Kara i would like to get to do some time. But people that go there seem to me to be very hardcore gamers. For example my guild last night went there and during this, one guild member said bye bye i must go now. shortly after that he was kicked or left the guild! LoL

So if you plan on doing the end game stuff! Dont piss off your guild members and leave during a dungion.

BadCharlie wrote:
    So if you plan on doing the end game stuff! Dont piss off your guild members and leave during a dungion.
    That's standard for any dungeon though. Very rude to just walk off in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Unless somebody has a good reason for just randomly leaving a raid, they deserve to be kicked TBH. Leading a raid is not an easy task, and when youre in the middle of a run and somebody casually decides to leave, the rest of the raid must sit put and wait until a replacement arrives; if theres no replacxement available, then the raid will have to disband. Its irresponsible on the player involved and disheartening for the entire raid, especially the raid leader. Raid/guild leader did the right thing.

I must say that i have not gone on much raids. Im not sure if you would call a 5man team a Raid ?.

Well i have done some of these and during them players have just left, and your right its a right pi** off when it happens.But then i just put them in my little black book, to note i wont be going on any raid with them in the future if i can help it.

P.S lvl 68 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

BadCharlie wrote:
    I must say that i have not gone on much raids. Im not sure if you would call a 5man team a Raid ?.

Well i have done some of these and during them players have just left, and your right its a right pi** off when it happens.But then i just put them in my little black book, to note i wont be going on any raid with them in the future if i can help it.

P.S lvl 68 now.

5 mans are instances, but the ethos is the same.

I have had a few weeks where i needed to be offline at 9:30 to do something in RL, i would always insist on not raiding unless the boss was dead by 9 (giving elbow room for a few wipes) or they were stuck.

Even still i always felt mad guilty when i had to log.

and yes, the black book is a neccessity. i put them all on my ignore list, then i immediately have an ingame list i can check before going anywhere.

When you do start properly raiding with a guild, instances and PuG's (pick up groups) are far far less frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

I only started it at the weekend just gone out after loads of the guys have been talking about it for ages, so I finally checked it out & I'm finding it as much fun as they've said it is ...... tis friggin addictive & found myself last night moving up 7 levels in 3 hours - ddin't even know I was playing for three hours. Very easy to get lost in playing it & losing track of the time.

After a while it will take 3 days to go up one lvl.

I should be LvL 70 tonight or tomorrow night. Will need 1k for my flying and my hunter training which i have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I only started playing a few days ago, and i cant stop. I will play from 5:30pm till 1/2am then go to work and do the same. Im already at lvl 16. 4000xp till 17. I have 8g atm, but thats because i went in the instance beyond sentinel hill with a lvl 70 friend, and he let me take all the loot. Which is dead handy. Oh, im a human warrior btw, its a great char in group quests, as i can be used as the tank, and still deliver over 100damage per hit. I really need to work on my two professions though.

• Advertisement

One thing that is fooked up on our server is that only 11% play as Horde. So when im out doing quests i dont come across Horde that often.

Anti im the same i play till late, and im feeling so tired now at the moment. The game takes hours and after you have palyed it for 4hours you still have done very little. Have all ready played the game now for 21days with my hunter.

Advertisement