Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You call yourself a gamer! - Biggest Gaming Shame

Options
  • 10-07-2007 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

Was talking to a friend of mine a few days ago, another gamer.

He was ranting on about Final Fantasy XIII and then asked me something about Final Fantasy XII. I said I hadn't played it, though I was thinking of buy it when it is reduced in price. He proceeded to use an example from FF VII. I sheepishly said that I hadn't played that one either. With a rather bewildered look he said "Have you ever played a Final Fantasy game?" to which I replied, honestly "Nope"

To my shame I've never played any of the series, despite Final Fantasy being one of the biggest and most well known series in gaming history.

Got me thinking about what games I would be embarrassed to claim that I've never played, while still calling myself a gamer.

So to easy my pain I thought I would see if there are any games that you guys are embarrassed that you have never played. Or in general is there any think that you feel your face going red when you think about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭unregd147

I never played the FF series games either, my consoles went like this nes,snes,n64,dreamcast,gamecube,xbox,xbox 360.
    I always considered the FF series a ps and ps2 game, and I never liked either of those consoles. Didn't play any MGS either!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I tried and I found them to be rubbish, I can't stand turn based random battle stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I've never played any final fantasy games, never played any resident evil games,
    there's probably loads of other good examples, would never go red in the face though, theres just too many games to have played everything and everybody will have their own ideas of games you absolutely must play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Never finished a Zelda, got about 80% through 3 of them but get distracted by something shiny every time. Only played FF VII, not sure if I finished it, pretty sure I did, I was fairly young though. I rented, FFX for a few days, was enjoying it before I returned it...

Never owned a SNES or Megadrive, played them frequently though.

Enjoyed Need For Speed : Underground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

MooseJam wrote:
    I've never played any final fantasy games, never played any resident evil games

I'm the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you have not finished a final fantasy you are not a true gamer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I loved FF and my mate loved Zelda

We swapped, and neither of us loved the others games

I gave it a good 15 hours but Zelda didnt do it for me
    Couldnt get into mario 64 either
    In fact most nintendo games didnt do it for me :eek:

The only 2 i ever loved were Mario Kart and Goldeneye, perfect dark was ok too :rolleyes:

Halo...yeah...what a load of crap that was tbh :cool: ...most overrated game ever ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I can't stand any FF games. I was always down at my mates from college's house and 2 of them played different sequels at the same time. Non-stop from their bedrooms you'd here the normal gammy music and then *SWOOOOOOOOSH!!! Dun-da-dun-dun-dun!* as they go into battle everytime they took 2 steps. I hate turn-based games, though I did make an exception to the rule with Age Of Wonders, that was a cool game myself and my bro used to play.

I, ahem, aquired S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and frankly I think it's shít. A big let-down considering the hype surrounding it.

Oblivion has been my top game though I'm sick to death of it, but I can't wait for another expansion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oblivion isn't even better than Morrowind unless you get a lot of mods.
    STALKER was OK, pretty fun game. FFVII music is my ring tone, most people go, 'that's final fantasy yeah?' and they would not be big gamers at all. Seems it is an insidious theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭unregd147

Strongly disagree with the Halo hit. Sit in a room with 15 of your friends with 4 xboxs 4tvs system link and tell me its not one of the best games you've ever played!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I've rarely completed games to be honest. Never played a FF, played Resi on the cube for like, 5mins before getting bored.

Completed MGS on ps1 though, greatest game. After Streets of Rage. ;)

I'm a multiplayer man tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

You guys gotta try, if you haven't already, Aliens Vs. Predator 2 multiplayer. Absolutly brilliant! A few smokes and play as a marine while your mates scour around a level as facehuggers is not nice. Especially when your radar starts going mental and you lose the plot by just flame-throwing everything around you!

Tis' deadly when your the alien and you can watch your mates freak out while you spy on them from the ceiling upside down :D

Ah, I can never stop laughing when I see someone as a marine spinning around in one spot like a lunatic thinking you're behind them when you're just actually hanging out on top of a box eyeing up your prey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I never finished FFVII because of the turn-based battles and upgrade confusion. Upgrade confusion usually gets me with RPGs. I don't upgrade magic often enough it seems. Got to the final Boss battle in Paper Mario and died because some attribute wasn't strong enough.

Played FFX also. Never finished it either (I think I just don't like FF games).

Never liked Resident Evil (on the PS or GC) because of the controls. I'll give Resi4 a go one of these days, I promise!

I don't like FPSs on consoles (again, control issues). I played Halo on the PC, got bored about half way through as all the corridors were alike. A mixture of attribute fatigue and controls messed up Metroid Prime for me too (sorry rainbow kirby, evad lhorg, et. al!). I got so far and stopped. Played a load of PC FPSs and then went back to MP and couldn't control it.

I've become too money conscience. I'd rather wait for a bargain than get a game on release day. It used to be fun (but costly) to preorder games :( Means I don't get as many games as I used to, but at least I'm trying to finish the ones I already have.

Other than those, I think I'm a fairly normal gamer >_>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The game I never liked, and would consider myself ashamed? Metroid Prime. I found it dull and repetitive. It is a good interpretation of the 2D gameplay, but I enjoyed Metroid Fusion many, many times more than Prime.
    I know Retr0 isnt going to like that ;)
    Other games I didnt "get": Halo (the obvious option), Silent Hill (not a big survival horror fan).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I actually cant think of a game series i havent played but tbh i havent played many new games that have come out in the last few years as i got big into music and gaming took a back door.

P.C. Fps for the win, consoles just cannot compare to the keyboard and mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I never played the remake of Resident Evil on the gamecube but i finally made the plunge and started it last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

owned a n64 and never bought any mario games (including kart) zelda, goldeneye, perfect dark. bought banjo kazaooie and wrestling games :P

never played ffVII and when my freinds start talking about how great it is they always stay we wish they had never lent it to x friend who lsot it for a while or had it for too long so i can never borrow it off them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I just don't like RPG's at all. I've tried several of the most hyped ones (FFVII, FFX, Oblivion) and while they for the most part look lovely, I don't find them fun at all.

I love FPS's though, but only on PC. Gotta have a mouse! I like racing games and beat em ups on consoles, though I can usually not be arsed learning all the various different moves in the beat em ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The fact that I get bored of games very quickly and only complete the ones that really capture my attention.

Also majorly moving away from single players games completely. Online FPS's are my mainstay now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I have never found Final Fantasy or Halo even the least bit entertaining. And I absolutely DETEST the Metal Gear series. There, I said it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The fact that I get bored of games very quickly and only complete the ones that really capture my attention.

Also majorly moving away from single players games completely. Online FPS's are my mainstay now.

Me 3 :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Twilight Princess is the only one of the series I have completed, and I have most of the rest, the biggest regrets are not completing Zelda OoT and getting just about nowhere in Majoras Mask.

Most embarrassing gamer related thing is, well, I love my 3DO, Need 4 Speed, Road Rash, Return Fire, Star Control 2, its all good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'm really struggling to think of a series I've never played at all but there's plenty of well loved games series which I didn't get too far in because I didn't like them - Zelda, God of War, Metroid, Pikmin, Goldeneye, Half Life(or any popular PC FPS for that matter), Tomb Raider, Mario 64, Resident Evil(and Silent Hill, not big on horror)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

MooseJam wrote:
    I've never played any final fantasy games, never played any resident evil games,
    1. Played PC demos of most of them, thats pretty much it.
    2. Eight years to finish Deus Ex.
    3. Haven't owned a console since the SNES.

Not too bad I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

The game I never liked, and would consider myself ashamed? Metroid Prime. I found it dull and repetitive. It is a good interpretation of the 2D gameplay, but I enjoyed Metroid Fusion many, many times more than Prime.
    That is so true man I heard evreyone harping on about metroid prime saying it was the best game ever decided to give it a go after playing fusion and enjoying it throughly to my suprise the most boring game I have ever played I don't want to scan an enemy befor fcking killing it:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I've never owned a sony console. I did play some ps1 games using ePSXe though.

Also I think Halo is absolutely horrible. One of the dullest games I have ever played. Incredibly tedious combat. I did play it on the PC though.

I hold the genuine belief that Duke Nukem Forever will actually be released and be the best game ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I hate people like that, its the same with music

one time a girl in my class was talkin abt a band, and none of us ever heard of them, and she was like "OMG, get educated!!"

I also hate the FF games, selective combat is gahey in my books, a waste really

Just play, listen to, or see what u want, not what you think you should

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

That is so true man I heard evreyone harping on about metroid prime saying it was the best game ever decided to give it a go after playing fusion and enjoying it throughly to my suprise the most boring game I have ever played I don't want to scan an enemy befor fcking killing it:mad: :mad: :mad:
    Erm... scanning is totally optional in the Metroid Prime series:confused:
    How anyone could consider it boring is beyond me, but each to their own I guess.

My 2 biggest shames would be taking so long to get into Castlevania: SotN and MGS. I had both games for a couple of months before I got around to playing them for more than 5 minutes.
    Morrowind and Oblivion are 2 games that I've installed, played for 15 minutes or so and then never gone back to... I'm fairly ashamed of not giving them a proper go.
    I'm not at all ashamed to hate Halo, the game was utter crap in fairness. (single player was, anyway)

Almost forgot my biggest shame of all;
    I preordered Okami, but have yet to get around to even putting the disc into a ps2:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If you have not finished a final fantasy you are not a true gamer. :)

This is blatantly false.

It is a measure of your ability to obsessively persist in a futile quest for a **** sandwich. Go watch Sleepless in Seattle or Sliding doors if you want 'story'.

Shame: I abhor competitive gaming, and am a piss-poor loser/winner/spectator. You'll get nothing bug dog's abuse from my corner.
    The DS and Wii are the first ninty consoles I bought.
    The one and only time I ever threw a controller in anger was a console FPS.
    Goldeneye was crap. About the only thing that amazed me was that it fitted on the cart.
    Soccer games are boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I share alot with people here (i have no time for FF, Halo is muck), but my two biggest ones are

Online play is rubbish. I don't care if it is supposed to be the future, but i never want to play online ever again. Getting killed by anonymous people from half the world away, getting called a fag by fat american kids, and searching for hours for a server that might not be populated by complete and utter retards is not my idea of fun
    Give me a well crafted single player game over a massive online universe any day of the week.

I hate convergence in game consoles. I do not want a blu-ray player/media centre/web browser/espresso-maker cum console hybrid, i want a console. If i require a blu-ray player, or an espresso maker, i will go and purchase a seperate blu-ray player or espresso machine that does that singular job well, rather than settle for a frankenstein's monster of a machine that will do them all half-arsed.

Advertisement