Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You call yourself a gamer! - Biggest Gaming Shame

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I always thought HALO was a bit overrated , it's an OK F.P.S., but its main advantage is that it played really really well on a readily available console.
    Judged as "an XBOX F..P.S." it's a classic , but judged on it's own merits its mediocre(although I preferred the classier XIII on the 'box but thats just me).
    I'm sure playing it multiplayer with your mates is great , but give me Quake III/BAttlefield Vietnam on a LAN-night with a load of friends anytime.

I've served my Final fantasy time. I loved FFVII back in 96 , and I ve played FF:III on the nes (ok albeit a hacked translated rom), hell I even have that CD of FF:IV music done Irish Trad style ("FF:celtic moon" fact fans) but I lost interest after seven.
    Tar.Aldarion's comment was tounge in cheek right?
    I mean if you dont like J:Rpg's there's no point in playing FF games.
    In the cold light of day I've played better RPG's since (Planescape torment for example).
    Playing games online is great provided you do it with a few mates , there's an awful lot of angry 12 year olds online though so its worth finding a good server /realm etc to play on.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

i never finished the counter strike series even though i spend wayyy to much time one them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I remember I got Half-Life off a friend years ago and I didn't like it too much. I completed fairly quickly to which I went "Is that it!?! This is the future of games?" The game just did not captivate me. Half-Life 2, though, is a completely different story, great game! Deus Ex was brilliant too, I want another game like it! Is that too hard to ask??

Duggy747 wrote:
    ! Deus Ex was brilliant too, I want another game like it! Is that too hard to ask??
    Bioshock perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Haven't played the original but Halo 2 was cack imo. It was pure torture playing through it, just pants tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Duggy747 wrote:
    I remember I got Half-Life off a friend years ago and I didn't like it too much. I completed fairly quickly to which I went "Is that it!?! This is the future of games?" The game just did not captivate me. Half-Life 2, though, is a completely different story, great game! Deus Ex was brilliant too, I want another game like it! Is that too hard to ask??
    Play System Shock 2, great game.

With the fan made texture patchs , its actually looks better than DeusEx did
    Rebirth(new badguys)
    http://www.fileplanet.com/125428/120000/fileinfo/System-Shock-Rebirth-Beta-1
    and Shtup(new textures)
    http://shtup.home.att.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Overated games.
    • The Halo series, mind-numbingly boring stuff.
    • Tomb Raider, horrible clunky, stop-start action that frustrates rather than entertains.
    • Counter Strike, I just don't get why this game is rated so highly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tomb Raider is not too special, teh other games are awesome multiplayer. That is why they are rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

tman wrote:
    Erm... scanning is totally optional in the Metroid Prime series:confused:
    How anyone could consider it boring is beyond me, but each to their own I guess.
    Oh right sorry man only played an hour of it and thought that ws the main objective of the game:o :o

• Advertisement

Tomb Raider is not too special, teh other games are awesome multiplayer. That is why they are rated.

C.S. is very over-rated , and seemed to be the game of choice of whiny 13 year olds.Personally I always preferred TeamFortess:Classic to it .(and Roll on TF2!!)

Actually maybe that's the redeeming thing about CS and HALO , they attracted all the hormonal teenage "B00mHedshot..Z0MGl2playf@g!!111one" players , and meant that the grown ups could enjoy other on-line games in relative peace.
    So for that , we should all be thankful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Many multiplayer games are overrated. Mainly because by the time I get around to them, others have played for like 500 hours and I dont stand a chance.
    GoW is the only one I play, and that's because I can survive for more than 10 seconds without being sniped in the face.
    CS is the worst for it, IMO. Some people play that game far too much.

C.S. is very over-rated , and seemed to be the game of choice of whiny 13 year olds.Personally I always preferred TeamFortess:Classic to it .(and Roll on TF2!!)

Actually maybe that's the redeeming thing about CS and HALO , they attracted all the hormonal teenage "B00mHedshot..Z0MGl2playf@g!!111one" players , and meant that the grown ups could enjoy other on-line games in relative peace.
    So for that , we should all be thankful.
    TFC is an excellent game, mmm.
    CS is not overrated, why else would so many people play it?
    A lot of very annoying idiots play it though.
    Warcraft III:TFT is clearly the best multiplayer game out there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Halo single player is crap and the maps in multiplayer are boring

FF is pure muck, 100 hours of grinding for a few hours of story. No thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The game I never liked, and would consider myself ashamed? Metroid Prime. I found it dull and repetitive. It is a good interpretation of the 2D gameplay, but I enjoyed Metroid Fusion many, many times more than Prime.
    I know Retr0 isnt going to like that ;)
    Other games I didnt "get": Halo (the obvious option), Silent Hill (not a big survival horror fan).

Doctor!, Doctor! this man needs an urgent injection of taste, stat! However leave that healthy Halo hate alone.

OP, if you want to try a Final Fantasy game, start with FFVI, VII, IX or X. FFVIII is pure hokum crap and FFXII is hit or miss, I found it incredibly boring.

I'm in the same boat as tman, I've a lot of games I want to play and have but don't have the time to play, I got Okami the minute it was out in America and didn't even put the disc in the PS2 until a month ago.
    Vegeta wrote:
    FF is pure muck, 100 hours of grinding for a few hours of story. No thanks

Pure crap from an ignorant person who obviously never played the game. I've finished every FF game since FFV without needing to level grind at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Pure crap from an ignorant person who obviously never played the game. I've finished every FF game since FFV without needing to level grind at all.

except for xii right?

My final fantasy shame:

I have started almost every FF game (except IX X-2 and XII) played through them a bit and then just stop at some point in the game either due to work (VII, VIII and X all came at the same points I had exams) or because a minor point p*ssed me off (random battles really really drive me up the wall most of the time) and I have never had the urge to go back to them.

My gaming shame:

hmm

I am huge RTS player, and you need to be an rts person, or at least a command and conquer fan to recognise this as a real big shame...I've never played Dune 2.

I've played Dune 2000, Emporer battle for dune, but never the original that started the whole RTS mania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The majority of people I know who sing Halo's praises are on about the singleplayer campaign, which was one of the blandest gaming experiences I've ever had. Multiplayer wasn't much more enjoyable... playing competetive FPS games using a joypad are just plain wrong in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Sarky wrote:
    I have never found Final Fantasy or Halo even the least bit entertaining. And I absolutely DETEST the Metal Gear series. There, I said it.

Nice one! ... ...regarding Metal Gear Solid. I think it's dire too.

My rant is this:

Why do they insist on making all these new games long? Why can't games be like the old games on the Mega Drive, NES, and SNES (and the Playstation to some extent). I just don't have the time or commitment to be playing a game for so long a period.

I'm singling out GTA Vice City & San Andreas and Doom III here.

...maybe I'm just getting old! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

CS is over rated, l oh ****ing l tbh.

for a game based on a 13 year old engine (quake1) to be one of the most played games today (possibly only superceeded by WOW or WC3) is a testament to it's unbelievable addictive gameplay and it's sheer brilliance.

i have to add to the list i thought halo was terrible, halo 2 atrocious and halo 3 looks to follow on.

i was impressed with doom3's graphics but the repetitiveness of the game (walk round corner enemy comes out of hidden wall, kill, repeat throughout game) was so boring.

every gamer should at least have played one lucasart 'point and click' adventures like sam and max, day of the tenticle and monkey island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Cremo wrote:

every gamer should at least have played one lucasart 'point and click' adventures like sam and max, day of the tenticle and monkey island.

Oh good point actually, to my shame I haven't plaed any of these :(

Keep intending to because I love some of the more recent point and click games like Broken Sword and the Discworld games so I know I'd enjoy these but never had the time to go and play them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

steviec wrote:
    Keep intending to because I love some of the more recent point and click games like Broken Sword and the Discworld games so I know I'd enjoy these but never had the time to go and play them.

If you think those are good wait until you play Sam & Max or DoT ... some of the best games ever, never mind best adventure. Day of the Tentacle is up there with some of the best written stories in any media.

Pity no one writes plots & stories like Lucas Arts (circa 1993) any more.

Dave Grossman, Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert, Steve Purcell et al ... gods of story driven gaming. And funny as hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Kevster wrote:
    Nice one! ... ...regarding Metal Gear Solid. I think it's dire too.
    Yeah but to be honest I have played all the metal gear and I only really like the quirky storyline so I can see why people would get annoyed by the gameplay especially that snake eater crap:p :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

unregd147 wrote:
    Strongly disagree with the Halo hit. Sit in a room with 15 of your friends with 4 xboxs 4tvs system link and tell me its not one of the best games you've ever played!!!

or you could play a proper FPS without auto-aim online on a pc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I don't even have 15 gaming friends. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Cremo wrote:

Dont think it counts as "point and click", but Grim Fandango was pure class:)
    The new Sam and Max games arent that great though.
    I never played the Final fantasy games, and any game based in a fantasy world like WOW or Ultima online bore the crap out of me.
    Deus Ex(first one) does indeed rock:D
    Roll on Bioshock.

tman wrote:
    The majority of people I know who sing Halo's praises are on about the singleplayer campaign, which was one of the blandest gaming experiences I've ever had. Multiplayer wasn't much more enjoyable... playing competetive FPS games using a joypad are just plain wrong in fairness.
    Single player can take a good deep cocking, what a pile of crap.
    I didn't like halo much untill I played a 32 at a time player xbox lan, verry gooood. I don't think it as good as some other fps'

Note: Anybody that has not finished this is no gamer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Strongly disagree with the Halo hit. Sit in a room with 15 of your friends with 4 xboxs 4tvs system link and tell me its not one of the best games you've ever played!!!

become a comedian please.

Note: Anybody that has not finished this is no gamer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst
    :)
    Thats no game , that's a screensaver!!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I've just started recently, borrowed it off a guy in work.
    Really enjoying it,it's really freaked me out a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Retr0gamer wrote:

Sure replace the word grinding with "a sh1t load of random battles" (until you get an item preventing such) between point A and B. Exciting....not.

Played FF 3 and stopped due to complete and utter boredom

Started 7 and guess what stopped playing cos it was crap to play (yes cool characters but boring game)

I was in the same room as someone for about 150 hours of FFX (refused to start my own game) and that is just de ghey.

Some of the FF games had decent character design and thats about it.

Advertisement