Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You call yourself a gamer! - Biggest Gaming Shame

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If I ever meet you, I'll controlaltdelete you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Different strokes I suppose.

Some of the games I liked have been slated here but I don't really mind.

FF is crap though, we should have a poll on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Pong... i'm a gamer and i've never played it

I've also never completed any of the Mario series, not even Mario Kart and I have it on my GBA:SP. After being brought up on Sonic, Mario is just to slow and laborious to be enjoyable. Whenever I jump at the ledge of a pipe and fall down the side i'm like "WTF, just grab onto the edge you stupid little Italian, Zool would so kick your ass into the Nth dimension you knacker tash loser"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh god :rolleyes: A Zool fan has the stupidity to say mario is crap. Get back under your rock were you can drool over the amiga CGI in babylon 5 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

If I ever meet you, I'll controlaltdelete you.
    Harsh, very harsh.

My biggest shame...I don't like Shadow of The Collossus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Harsh, very harsh.

eww reign over me :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Harsh, very harsh.

I don't think it as good as people hype it up to be either. Good fun though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

My biggest shame?

I'm unbelievably bad at any Street Fighter game and I have no idea why. Its quite weird because I'm pretty good at Mortal Kombat and other beat 'em ups, but for some reason I find Street Fighters impossible (I can't get the special moves to work, blocking never seems to work for me, I don't know what's wrong with me)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

My biggest shame?

I'm unbelievably bad at any Street Fighter game and I have no idea why. Its quite weird because I'm pretty good at Mortal Kombat and other beat 'em ups, but for some reason I find Street Fighters impossible (I can't get the special moves to work, blocking never seems to work for me, I don't know what's wrong with me)

I'm no expert on Street Fighter but I love all of 'em, I'm currently playing Street Fighter 3 - Third Strike arcade version which is pretty dang good.

I remember my mate had a free house so we all cracked out the SNES and played Mortal Kombat 3. I only had MK 2 so I used whatever moves outta that and I ended up being forbidden to go near the SNES after winning 21 wins in a row! I retired undefeated which really pissed them off! :p

Someone mentioned System Shock 2, I've always being dying to play that game but you can't get it anywhere. I found the only version I could by, ahem, certain methods but it turned out the whole thing was banjaxed so I never bothered again, dammit! As for BioShock, I'm pretty sure my laptop (while pretty good) would melt if I tried to play it, looks fairly intensive.

Now, I'm not too fond of console FPS cuz I'm so used to mouse and keyboard (the best, obviously) but I was hooked when my mate from college bought Halo 2 the day it came out. We played it on co-op for 12 hours straight, then a fat bitch (and I mean fat) who was a friend of his housemate came in after a night out and said we were "sad playing computer games". Needless to say we gave her an ear-full. I liked Gears Of War but, again, friend & I completed it fairly quickly. What a short-ass but brilliant game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Duggy747 wrote:

Someone mentioned System Shock 2, I've always being dying to play that game but you can't get it anywhere. I found the only version I could by, ahem, certain methods but it turned out the whole thing was banjaxed so I never bothered again, dammit! As for BioShock, I'm pretty sure my laptop (while pretty good) would melt if I tried to play it, looks fairly intensive.

I support your opinions.
    I got a lend of System Shock 2 off a friend recently, and after spending three or four hours getting it up and running on Windows XP, I finally got in minus all cut scenes. Unfortunately, the graphics havent aged that well, and like many games that I didnt get around to in time, it was pretty difficult to play.
    Am very much looking foward to BioShock though. Probably top of my to play list at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Duggy747 wrote:
    Someone mentioned System Shock 2, I've always being dying to play that game but you can't get it anywhere. I found the only version I could by, ahem, certain methods but it turned out the whole thing was banjaxed so I never bothered again, dammit!

System shock 2 is in legal limbo now, so you can get it 100% free and legal.
    Some tinkering is required to get it running on xp, but it is worth it.

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=3924:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Wicknight wrote:
    Was talking to a friend of mine a few days ago, another gamer.

He was ranting on about Final Fantasy XIII and then asked me something about Final Fantasy XII. I said I hadn't played it, though I was thinking of buy it when it is reduced in price. He proceeded to use an example from FF VII. I sheepishly said that I hadn't played that one either. With a rather bewildered look he said "Have you ever played a Final Fantasy game?" to which I replied, honestly "Nope"

To my shame I've never played any of the series, despite Final Fantasy being one of the biggest and most well known series in gaming history.

Got me thinking about what games I would be embarrassed to claim that I've never played, while still calling myself a gamer.

So to easy my pain I thought I would see if there are any games that you guys are embarrassed that you have never played. Or in general is there any think that you feel your face going red when you think about it

To use an analogy you might get, wicknight - that would be like me saying you aren't a true atheist because you haven't read Dawkins.

The whole 'true gamer' thing is a load of twaddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭o Diablo o

I never had a N64 so i missed out on Zelda and Goldeneye. More recently I've been ignoring Gears of war and Rainbow because i kind of need to focus on Halo. It upsets me at times that i dont quite get the full gaming experience but in my opinion competitive gaming is more enjoyable than the more casual approach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Harsh, very harsh.

I'm with you on that one, I can't get over how many people champion the game's graphics when they have such an obvious knock-on affect on the framerate.
    The game itself was alright, but I just couldn't bring myself to fully enjoy something that's running at what seems like 15 fps...

Full Throttle is the only Lucasarts adventure that I've played, and I've never played a Monkey Island game:eek:
    I bought a season ticket for the recent Sam & Max games, but only played a few minutes of the first episode

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

tman wrote:
    I'm with you on that one, I can't get over how many people champion the game's graphics when they have such an obvious knock-on affect on the framerate.
    The game itself was alright, but I just couldn't bring myself to fully enjoy something that's running at what seems like 15 fps...

Very much so. It was a fine game to be sure (that horseback sand collosus was probably worth playing the game for alone) but the frame rate was extremely distracting and the collossi get repetitive towards the end. Im not saying it was a bad game, but it does pale in comparison with Ico and others...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I stuck it up until the Bird collosus and then decided I'd had enough.

Another one of my shames I still haven't finished HL2. I got caught up playing CS:S and now I don't have a windows PC anymore. Will have to wait til the console versions come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Giblet wrote:
    I can't stand turn based random battle stuff.
    +1

I tried to play through Final Fantasy VII as it was, supposedly, 'The Second Coming'™.

I only got as far as the Giant Airship/marching in time with the troops part when I turned off the console and never felt the urge to return.

I just wasn't having fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Vegeta wrote:
    Different strokes I suppose.
    OMG! I loved that game too!

different-strokes.jpg

... thought I was the only one.

Our secret shame. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Never bothered with the Playstation so I missed out on all those franchises. Haven't played any FF game for more than half an hour.

Goldeneye was fairly crap. As was Mario64. Really don't get what all the fuss was about with those games. Similar story with Halo and Tomb Raider.

Finally got System Shock 2 working about a week ago (along with those fancy graphics updates) and can totally see what all the fuss is about. So not having played that is no longer a shame :) Great game so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

i hate the tomb raider series,repetitive gameplay,especially in the first few, and a HORRIBLE control system,if the main character was a guy would it have had a sequel? nope,the most overrated game series ever

halo is a good action game but pales in comparison to games like half life and far cry (the original pc one not that horrible 360 version)

i sold my snes, the shame!!!!!!

i cant believe some of the comments on here, SOTC not any good? goldeneye rubbish? mario 64 crap? wtf is wrong with some people!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

krudler wrote:
    i cant believe some of the comments on here, SOTC not any good? goldeneye rubbish? mario 64 crap? wtf is wrong with some people!!
    Same thing that is wrong with you:
    krudler wrote:
    i hate the tomb raider series,repetitive gameplay,especially in the first few, and a HORRIBLE control system,if the main character was a guy would it have had a sequel? nope,the most overrated game series ever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

krudler wrote:
    goldeneye rubbish?
    Compared to what was on the PC that same year -- notably Quake2 -- Goldeneye was slow, clunky, poorly designed (I distinctly remember many cramped corridors) and had a horrible control scheme.

In terms of movie tie-ins and console based first person shooters, it might have been a technical milestone but only because those two genera are generally so full of crap to begin with. It doesn't make Goldeneye an actual good game, imo.
    mario 64 crap?
    It just didn't have the pick-up-and-play-ability a Mario game should. Camera and control issues mostly, I think.

Again, technical milestone maybe, but not a patch on previous Mario games in terms of actual enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Same thing that is wrong with you:

but its generally agreed that the tomb raider games are terrible, Legend was quite good though since they ditched the control system that made the others sluggish, plus goldeneye,mario 64 and SOTC are constantly in top 50s and 100s lists, plus theyre fantastic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Goodshape wrote:
    Compared to what was on the PC that same year -- notably Quake2 -- Goldeneye was slow, clunky, poorly designed (I distinctly remember many cramped corridors) and had a horrible control scheme.

Quake 2 was an absolute abomination of a game that got good reviews due to the hype and supposedly great graphics. The single player was awful and the game was ugly as sin with the overuse of brown and coloured lighting. The only thing that saved it was great multiplayer that was added after release. Goldeneye has dated badly but at the time it was a quantum leap for FPS games. It introduced one of the first sniper rifles (outlaws got there first), realistic weaponry, mission based levels, stealth, non-linear level design amoung a host of others. It also looked a lot better than Quake 2 in the same way Half-life looked better than games with superior engines. Both games represented very realistic modern environments while other games at the time were going for ridiculous sci-fi settings.

As for hating Mario 64, I can't see how anyone with a soul can't enjoythat game.
    but its generally agreed that the tomb raider games are terrible, Legend was quite good though since they ditched the control system that made the others sluggish, plus goldeneye,mario 64 and SOTC are constantly in top 50s and 100s lists, plus theyre fantastic

While the Tomb Raider sequels are thrash the first game was truly groundbreaking when it was released and is still a very good game if you can get over the clunky controls. the minute Toby Gard left the money men were free to make the team work on the soulless sequels. the controls weren't that clunky anyway. Anyone who played Prince of Persia will know Tr is just PoP in 3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I've GTA:VC and GTA:SA, and I never finished either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I've GTA:VC and GTA:SA, and I never finished either of them.

hehe neither have I

found SA to be really dull though.

and VC got a bit into it but life intervened.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CitizenGeek

Hmm, there's no series I'd really feel bad about saying I hadn't played. I guess I haven't ever played a Doom or Quake game, but I really care admitting to not playing those games!
    If you have not finished a final fantasy you are not a true gamer. :)

That is, absolutely, The Truth©

But, seriously, not playing a Final Fantasy game is a bit silly. Especially considering the series is on pretty much every platform these days.

FF is, by far and away, my absolute favorite videogame series ever. I've played IV, VI, VII, VIII, X, X-2 and XII as well as some spin-offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

The reason I didn't keep playing FF7 was because I felt it was sh1te ! Them random battles every three steps really REALLY annoyed me, turned it off and never playing any of them after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Never liked it, to be honest i just couldn't play it, found it far too confusing. I play arseloads of games, always have and i don't accept FF as a 'rite of passage'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I can't play Final Fantasy 7, 8 or 10 anymore... when they came out i jumped on that bandwagon, got all i could from them and then realised that i really didn't like them at all. I can see why people like them because i used to share the same enthusiasm but somewhere along the line they just burnt me out and now i can only pick holes in them.

FF9 on the other hand.

Also, i've bought Resident Evil 2 at least 5 times over the years. I take good care of my games, not many scratches (and only tiny ones) and they're never out of their boxes (or a console) for more than a few minutes. But when it comes to probably my favourite game, i can't help losing it or dropping it or leaving it somewhere.

Advertisement