Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You call yourself a gamer! - Biggest Gaming Shame

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Success, Inc.

Although I like some FPS, like Medal of Honor, I could never get into Quake. Try as I might, it just didn't do it for me.

And to think I started as a kid way back in the '70's when Berserker on the Atari 2600 was the shoot 'em up par excellence...

Then came stuff like Castle Wolfenstein, Doom, Heretic, and others. Played them all, loved them, beat them.

But Quake, or Unreal...? Oh, HELL no! Not me.

On the other hand, two games I would like to have tried (but never did) were the Splinter Cell series, and Hitman.

And dude, RPG's are 'da bomb, yo! Talk about bang for your buck! 70+ hours of gameplay, plot driven, excellent graphics, et al. You can't beat that, Holmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Word to your moms, esé

My recent shame... and this is a bad one;

I....

I.... I played through most of Bioshock on easy:o

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The entire FF series is sh|te, like most RPG's. Gimme ***ugh*** Bioshock any day, and that demo put be off that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Could never get into the FF series or infact any Japanese RPG. Something about having a 4 hour intro, 10 seconds of play, a 15 minute cutscene, 10 seconds of play and then a random encounter with a creature 50 levels above you character and a combat systems that have no instructions, really made me lose interest fairly quickly.

I've never gotten into the Resident Evil games. I try to start playing them, but them, but something always drags me away from and I delete or lose them before I can go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Play System Shock 2, great game.
    Great to see that mentioned. I rate that as one of my favourite games of all time. Scared the crap out of me many times.
    Rhyme wrote:
    FF9 on the other hand.
    I've always though that, in terms of gameplay, FF9 was the best FF on the Playstation(haven't played the PS2 ones), despite the story being weaker than 7 or 8.

My "shame" would be that I don't understand how people can enjoy online FPSs so much. They're just so repetitive, and conservative, defensive play makes them so boring. I just want to run at the opposition with all guns blazing, not lurk away from my enemies for 10 minutes picking up armour, ammo etc. and carefully calculating my next attack. This, for me, is infinitely more monotonous than any amount of levelling up in FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Quake 2 was an absolute abomination of a game
    Nonsense. The single player game was perfectly enjoyable and the multiplayer - as you said yourself - was great. And you can keep your realism and sniper rifles; give me rocket jumps and railguns any day.
    As for hating Mario 64, I can't see how anyone with a soul can't enjoythat game.
    I've downloaded this for the VC since last posting in this thread.

You were right. It's brilliant. Don't know what I was thinking tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

another shame for me tbh,

when first picked up counter strike i play cs_militia and enjoyed that map :s

Cremo wrote:
    another shame for me tbh,

when first picked up counter strike i play cs_militia and enjoyed that map :s
    You make me sick! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Goodshape wrote:
    Nonsense. The single player game was perfectly enjoyable

Agreed completely, I found the single player mode of Quake 2 to be a very enjoyable experience.

It's good to see so many FF haters on here, I thought I was the only one :D.

Anyway I don't know if it's a shame really but I've never played any sports based game, ever. Yes that includes football.

Edit: Actually I played monkey football on Super Monkey Ball 2 a lot, somehow I don't think that counts though :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I'd consider it a shame if anyone here hadn't played any of the Monkey Island games, especially CMI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sagacity

Yes I agree Monkey Island was brilliant.

There seems to be a bias here towards the consoles.

What about the Civilization series, Command and Conquer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Never played it, don't to play it. It not my type, I love GTA, MGS, Pro Evo and loads a' FPS. Don't like those geekish medevil stuff (no offence).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Play System Shock 2, great game.

+1
    First thing i did after playing Bioshock is play this again, the deepest combat system of any fps.

My shame is all the games i own that i've yet to play, help me prioritise!!!

Ico
    Most Lucasarts games (Monkey Island series, Grim Fandango (can't wait to play) and Day of the Tentacle)
    Ninja Gaiden
    Killer 7
    Panzaar Dragoon Orta
    Jet Set Radio Future
    Star Ocean
    Devil May Cry 3
    Trauma Centre DS

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

+1
    First thing i did after playing Bioshock is play this again, the deepest combat system of any fps.

My shame is all the games i own that i've yet to play, help me prioritise!!!

Ico
    Most Lucasarts games (Monkey Island series, Grim Fandango (can't wait to play) and Day of the Tentacle)
    Ninja Gaiden
    Killer 7
    Panzaar Dragoon Orta
    Jet Set Radio Future
    Star Ocean
    Devil May Cry 3
    Trauma Centre DS
    Ico
    Lucasarts games
    Killer 7

the rest you can probably dip in'n'out of.

Except for Star Ocean (the SNES one?) -- it's a JRPG, so you gotta know where you're gonna prioritise 40-100hrs into your schedule...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Quake 2 was an absolute abomination of a game that got good reviews due to the hype and supposedly great graphics. The single player was awful and the game was ugly as sin with the overuse of brown and coloured lighting. The only thing that saved it was great multiplayer that was added after release. Goldeneye has dated badly but at the time it was a quantum leap for FPS games. It introduced one of the first sniper rifles (outlaws got there first), realistic weaponry, mission based levels, stealth, non-linear level design amoung a host of others. It also looked a lot better than Quake 2 in the same way Half-life looked better than games with superior engines. Both games represented very realistic modern environments while other games at the time were going for ridiculous sci-fi settings.

I hate when you state opinions as facts, just because you play a bunch of games. Quantum leap in gaming? I don't think so. It was a decent console shooter and that's why it got recognition. It looked worse than Quake 1 (despite the aliasing) and quake had zoom inbuilt with an f key, but that was for all guns (MDK had it as well). The animation was decent for it's time, I'll give you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sagacity

Well judging on what people are saying here... The biggest gaming shame of people is not in missing one particular game or series, but missing out on whole genres.

The games everyone is mentioning are all similar.

Can I ask you questions...

Have you played a flight simulation? eg Microsoft Flight Simulator

Have you played a racing game? eg, Gran Turismo, Colin Mcrae

Have you played a real time strategy game? Starcraft, Command & Conquer

Have you played turned based strategy? Civilization, Championship Manager (Maybe not in the strict sense)

Have you played a sports simulation? Pro Evo, Madden

Gaming just doesn't involve rpg and fps!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Have you played a flight simulation? : yeah few of the janes ones ,Chuck yaegers on the c64 , had a crack at MS:FS a few years ago , not for me though

Have you played a racing game? Yeah , both shíte "simulators" like GT and fun racers like outrun /ridge racer/screamer.

Have you played a real time strategy game? played starcraft and tried C&C , found them about as exciting as watching paint dry , RTS's are not for me
    Have you played turned based strategy? yup Civilization , Civnet,Civ II ,

Have you played a sports simulation? haven't liked a footy game since microprose, played maddens a fair bit on the meg years ago.

I'll see you those and raise you:
    Have you ever played a space combat game:Xwing ,Tachyon,Wing commander , freespace etc ?
    Have you ever played a text based game:zork,any of the level 9 stuff, hell even MUDs?
    Have you ever played a trading/exploration game game :Elite? starflight etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I've played all the genera mentioned in the last two posts. Love the CIVILIZATION games. Used to be into C&C a bit but it's just not as good as people make out, imho. I've played a few flight sims in my time - I remember really enjoying EF2000 (a combat flight sim) until I lost the disc. Never cared for the MS ones.

Used to play the old text-based MUDs quite a bit. MUD2 waaay back in the day when it was free on IOL. Discworld Mud more recently but I never got into it in the same way. And that Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy text-based game wasn't too bad.

Starflight -- enjoyed the Megadrive version back in the day.

Space combat games can be good sometimes but I find you really need the right equipment to enjoy them fully (I'm thinking of Freespace2 and how I always figured it'd much better with a big joystick).

Having said all that, I think I can safely conclude that FPS and RPG (with maybe the occasional platformer) is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My shame? Playing World of Warcraft has left me with an absolutely insane backlog of console games. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought Rainbow Kirby was dead but you were just playing WoW.

I found Knights of the Old Republic to be incredibly boring compared to japanese RPGs. I can say that about any western RPG I've tried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Strangely Retr0, I find the exact opposite is true. I've tried dozens of JRPGs, and with the exception of Pokémon (yay Pokémon!) I've hated each one. Actual real [/i]hatred[/i].

For one thing, there's no oppurtunity for any roleplaying, which is an alarming oversight that's common to each of the dozen or so Japanese Role Playing Games I've tried. With no input into what sort of chap my character is or what decisions he makes or how he develops, it's very hard to believe that I'm playing a role rather than watchnig a role be played. The closest I've seen to some sort of freedom is getting to choose whether I say yes or no to the wise old man's "so, are you going to save the world?" question, but since he knows I've shelled out for a saving the world game and since he just going keeps asking me until I say yes anyway, it doesn't feel like a particularly important choice. Beyond that, you're usually limited to choosing whether to equip the big sword or the big big sword, but again there's little difficulty in mulling it over and coming to a conclusion.

And so there's the combat, usually the game's big push, since it makes up the bulk of it. Unfortunately, it makes up this bulk by repeating same battle over and over and since and the same strategy wins out so often, most JRPGs actually have an option to let the game play itself whenever you get pulled into a scrap. Again this makes me feel a little bit detached, as the game does everything for me while I sit back and enjoy a cup of tea.

So we're left with the plot, which is almost certainly drivel, and the dialogue, which is guaranteed to be drivel, and which I'm not convinced isn't just a ploy to get you to press X (or A) a lot so you feel like you're actually involved, instead of feeling like you're watching a game play itself, which you pretty much are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Forgot about the Civ games, I especially loved call to power 2, though most hated it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Strangely Retr0, I find the exact opposite is true. I've tried dozens of JRPGs, and with the exception of Pokémon (yay Pokémon!) I've hated each one. Actual real [/i]hatred[/i].

Seems to be a taste thing. What bores me in western RPGs is the reams and reams of dialogue in them. It's often well written but it's really annoying getting into mundane conversations that last the lifetime of an average universe. The settings and dialogue are almost always cliche, you can bet it's set in either a cookie cutter sci-fi setting with a plot thats a rip-off of star wars or a fantasy setting which is a poor mans lord of the rings. The lack of originality is really pathetic and there are very few examples of a truly original setting in a western RPG, fallout seemingly being the only exception that springs to mind. JRPGs can be very unoriginal too but there is always some games with truly astounding storylines and settings such as Panzer Dragoon Saga, FFX and Suikoden 2. Horrible translations and bad dialogue seems to be fading out since Vagrant Story and even the voice acting is improving, even Square Enix are learning, slowly.

I also find the battle systems to be very poor. They usually follow the awful hack and slash formula of diablo and kotor. The turn based battles in JRPGs usually involve a lot more strategy when done right (although admittedly other than FFX, Grandia and PDS it's usually left to the boss battles) while western RPGs you just sit back and watch your guys hack aimlessly at space while you throw in the odd spell now and again. I find Western RPGs much better for tea drinking :) The western battle system is one of the reasons I didn't like FFXII.

I also kind of prefer the linear story telling in JRPGs. Non-linear storylines kind of annoy me because I like to be able to see everything in one sitting because it's very unlikely that I will return to the game.

I will agree with one thing, Pokemon is a fantastic RPG series.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I hate RPGs with massive cities and towns. Western RPGs are the biggest criminals in this regard. I feel compelled to talk to everyone in case I miss anything but when you are faced with a massive city with a huge number of NPCs were the vast majority have nothing to say but will talk away until the cows come home anyway, it just really gets on my nerves.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Goodshape wrote:
    Used to play the old text-based MUDs quite a bit. MUD2 waaay back in the day when it was free on IOL. Discworld Mud more recently but I never got into it in the same way. And that Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy text-based game wasn't too bad.

Wow , I thought I was the only one - played a fair bit of JediMud and Holomud (both modified dikus) back in 93/94 .As addictive as wow , but at least it impoved my typing speed!

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Seems to be a taste thing. What bores me in western RPGs is the reams and reams of dialogue in them. It's often well written but it's really annoying getting into mundane conversations that last the lifetime of an average universe. The settings and dialogue are almost always cliche, you can bet it's set in either a cookie cutter sci-fi setting with a plot thats a rip-off of star wars or a fantasy setting which is a poor mans lord of the rings. The lack of originality is really pathetic and there are very few examples of a truly original setting in a western RPG, fallout seemingly being the only exception that springs to mind. JRPGs can be very unoriginal too but there is always some games with truly astounding storylines and settings such as Panzer Dragoon Saga, FFX and Suikoden 2. Horrible translations and bad dialogue seems to be fading out since Vagrant Story and even the voice acting is improving, even Square Enix are learning, slowly.

I also find the battle systems to be very poor. They usually follow the awful hack and slash formula of diablo and kotor. The turn based battles in JRPGs usually involve a lot more strategy when done right (although admittedly other than FFX, Grandia and PDS it's usually left to the boss battles) while western RPGs you just sit back and watch your guys hack aimlessly at space while you throw in the odd spell now and again. I find Western RPGs much better for tea drinking :) The western battle system is one of the reasons I didn't like FFXII.

I also kind of prefer the linear story telling in JRPGs. Non-linear storylines kind of annoy me because I like to be able to see everything in one sitting because it's very unlikely that I will return to the game.

I will agree with one thing, Pokemon is a fantastic RPG series.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I hate RPGs with massive cities and towns. Western RPGs are the biggest criminals in this regard. I feel compelled to talk to everyone in case I miss anything but when you are faced with a massive city with a huge number of NPCs were the vast majority have nothing to say but will talk away until the cows come home anyway, it just really gets on my nerves.
    lol, you're the exact polar opposite of me. I love western RPG's and hate JRPG's for the exact reasons you hate/love them :D

Advertisement