Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 data card broadband

Options
  • 10-07-2007 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi lads was thinking of getting this 3 broadband that you can plug into laptop and dont need phoneline,is it worth getting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It's worth getting, yes, but keep in mind that's it's a USB connection (so it doesn't plug into a hub for sharing over a network) and you're sigining up for a 12 month contract.

See if you're covered first, then grab your passport or drivers license AND a recent (within last 3 months) bill or bank statement and head to your nearest store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Timmy_d wrote:
    Hi lads was thinking of getting this 3 broadband that you can plug into laptop and dont need phoneline,is it worth getting?

Hi Timmy. I have the Usb version of this and its working fine. Getting about 400kb/s between 4pm and 11pm, and a little over 1mb outside these times. Great thread here about the pros and cons. Watty gives good explanations on why you may or may not get decent speeds. I would advise giving it a go anyway as you can always return it within 14 days for full refund if your not happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Timmy_d

$129 once off payment for usb,is that right? so u just buy it plug it in and away you go? 19.99 p/m thereafter eh? think il purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Timmy_d wrote:

Hoave you thought of the new O2 Broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Timmy_d

Hoave you thought of the new O2 Broadband?

i havnt actually,ant decent price difference between them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

If you're not already an O2 customer, O2 broadband is the same price as 3's for the first 3 months (i.e.: €20 per month) but jumps up to double that (€40) from the 4th month onward.

Yes, the 3 modem is dearer (€129 as opposed to €69) but within 3 months of their rental being 20 quid less, it's paid for itself. If you ARE an O2 customer already, it's €15 for the first 3 months, then €30 per month afterwards.

Also, 3 apparently have a much larger 3G coverage area than O2 at the moment. Plus they have a no-fuss 14 day money back guarantee if you're not happy (more). Granted, I currently work for 3 - but regardless of any loyalty there, theirs is still a better deal from what I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 burk

I got my 3 datacard in March and was quite happy for the first months with speeds above 100 kb/s. Recently the download speed is most of the time below 50 kb/s or even below 20 kb/s in the evenings and too bad to use Skype even though I have a very good signal strength. Probably there are just "to many" other users around in this area with loads of new apartments. I hope 3 will improve the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I've the 3DataModem and €19.99 package, and have to agree with Bard: it seems to be the best mobile broadband offer out there. I'm certainly happy with mine, especially considering the price.

And by the way, congrats on your new job, I didn't realise you worked for 3. :)

Footnote: Now if only 3 would put up a mast in or around Ballyhaunis, a town of 1,500, I'd be even happier... According to Siteviewer, only Vodafone and O2 have 3G coverage at the moment. I can get a 3 signal from my attic. I don't mind that much since I mainly use it while on the road, but it would definitely give me a warm fuzzy feeling if it worked here as well. I actually took the time to write to 3 head office about it some weeks ago, but have not received any response so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

O2 might be a good bet for areas with no 3G as they have EDGE also. I'm finding that the 3 mobile BB on my HSDPA N95 often gives only the same or less than the Meteor EDGE.

Advertisement