Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bouncers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Was down there a few weeks back, found the bouncer on Tigh Ceoli (?) to be an obnoxious bolllix. Refused 4 of us for no reason. Weren't bothered really, went back the next night out of spite and it was rubbish so left after a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

podge018 wrote:
    Was down there a few weeks back, found the bouncer on Tigh Ceoli (?) to be an obnoxious bolllix. Refused 4 of us for no reason. Weren't bothered really, went back the next night out of spite and it was rubbish so left after a drink.

You were probably too sober for Tigh Ceoli :)

Fey! wrote:
    Muppetkiller; you need to review your legal learnings.

A: It's not illegal for a doorman to search without a Garda present. If a Garda is present, they will do the search themselves. It is illegal for a doorman to RANDOMLY search people; if it is done as part of club policy where every customer is searched, then it is legal. It is also illegal for a man to search a woman.

Not exactly true A doorman has no legal power to search unless permission is granted by the person involved. So if this lady did not grant permission to have her bag searched and he did it anyway he could be in some trouble.

A doorman has no power of search under any legislation in Irish law..
    (My Brother is a cop and this is what he is telling me here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭BannedGugai

Ah the other side of the story...

Gugai, any tickets floating around for the Mundy gig??? ;)

always worth a try on either night - sometimes people have a spare one to sell....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Not exactly true A doorman has no legal power to search unless permission is granted by the person involved. So if this lady did not grant permission to have her bag searched and he did it anyway he could be in some trouble.

A doorman has no power of search under any legislation in Irish law..
    (My Brother is a cop and this is what he is telling me here)

That is true, but refusal to allow a search becomes grounds to refuse entry IF it's a part of the door policy of the premises. Searching the bag on the way OUT is a definite no-no anyway; if the doorman belives that the person is up to something, then they should ring the Gardai and not get involved themselves (insofar as they have no right to get involved by doing a search).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Bring back the seats in the back area and the staff will start behaving themselves - that's what I'm say. :p

And have a Bring Back The Naked Galwegian night every once and a while for god's sake Gugai.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

On getting refused for no reason: Pubs/clubs are private establishments and you can be refused entry for "no reason". There are 9 things a door person cannot say to you or else they will discriminate (and you have a case). Otherwise they can turn anyone away. If I called to your home door and wanted to come in and you said no - would I be due a reason - no. Same thing, private premises.

On Searching: If someone is coming into a premises (like a club) and has not yet paid, legally they have not established a contract with the premises. A door person can ask someone to check their bag legally. If the person refuses then thats perfectly ok - they won't be let in however and there is no recourse because there is no contract. If they consent then no problem.

Searching someone on the way out is a grey area though. If the door person suggested that the person say had stolen something from the premises and the person was found with nothing. That person could take legal action against them. Some people even make a living from fooling department store security into thinking they have robbed something and then sue them for libel (or something similar) when they are apprehended outside the premises with nothing.

Don't go taking bloody pictures of anyone. People do that to me every week on the door and holy hell its so damn annoying. Its a total invasion of privacy and childish at best. And its not going to achieve anything positive here.

If you have a complaint about security personell make a complaint to the private security authority. Don't go asking to see someone's PSA license BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT ENTITLED TO, only PSA inspector/gaurds can ask for it. But make a complaint if you feel you've been wronged. That's what they are there for.

Fey - I didnt know you worked on the door?

damalo wrote:
    Some people even make a living from fooling department store security into thinking they have robbed something and then sue them for libel (or something similar) when they are apprehended outside the premises with nothing.

Actually I think the law on this one is they are fine provided the person has left the store. If they are apprehended inside the store (and they've stolen nothing) then the security are in trouble. They need to actually leave the shop first before they can be apprehended.

Not my area so couldnt be 100% but surely a security person apprehending someone outside of a premises and finding nothing had legal implications. But anyways - not my area just a general example.

I know that pub have a bag searching policy. With all the commotion that can happen at a door that girl who's bag was searched could have been confused for someone coming into the pub. You never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Gott in Himmel I hated retail security.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

wet-paint wrote:
    Gott in Himmel I hated retail security.
    You need to be a dedicated, highly trained professional like Knacker Dwarf's arch-nemesis, Fat Security Guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

whatever about legal stuff I dont understand why certin brutes will just ruin someones night for no reasons. everyone id say can tell you at least one story of not being let in,or just getting unessesary greef,when your just having a night out with your friends after a weeks work.Im sure doorstaff have to deal with drunkfools and trouble-makers every week.

but if all security dont want to be tarred with the same brush,dont do the same to us

I can honestly say I've never been unjustly turned away, and maybe only been refused about ten times ever. But I'm sure bouncers don't mind being referred to as brutes. It's a thankless job anyway, so the rewarding part is getting paid, and having the craic with your workmates. Any good manners from a punter was always an unexpected bonus I found, and that's not saying I was piggish or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

damalo wrote:
    Don't go taking bloody pictures of anyone. People do that to me every week on the door and holy hell its so damn annoying. Its a total invasion of privacy and childish at best.

I think there is your answer OP,take a picture of him,that'll really piss him off.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok a story from the olden days. I was drinking in an undisclosed pub back when flavoured shots were popular. This pub had maybe 20 different flavours.

I handed in my VISA and said "I'll try them all!" with chaser beer. I was sitting by the bar on a barstool and chatting with friends.
    Hours later and several shots/beers: Suddenly someone told a joke that was so funny I leaned back to laugh when suddenly I fell backwards, stool and all.
    As I was sprawling on the floor, drunk as a skunk, the bartender comes around the bar and the bouncer comes up from the door. They both help me to stand up and put the stool back up.
    Then the bouncer goes back to the door and the barman goes around the bar and pours me another shot and beer. Now that's service for ya!

The GF wasn't impressed when I came home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

damalo wrote:
    Fey - I didnt know you worked on the door?

I stilll do the odd bit here and there; mainly just cover work for regular staff holidays and busy periods these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bla__bla

I am posting this under a new username to protect my identity.

I believe I was trying to gain entrance to this particular pub recently. I have gone there on many occasions and have never been turned away before, or caused any trouble. One night recently I was refused entry by a particular security man “for being too drunk”. I admit I had had a few, it was my birthday and I was celebrating. I was however calm and composed when I patiently queued with my brother to enter the premises.

The week previous to this my girlfriend was refused entrance to the premises for not having any identification, fair enough. I asked a member for staff I know if they would kindly confirm to the security man that my girlfriend is old enough to enter, she was admitted. However on this night she was admitted ahead of me and I was refused entrance after this security individual recognised me from the previous week. I protested politely and offered him my ID to confirm I was coherent and celebrating my birthday, hoping to persuade him to admit me. While this was happening more security personal confronted me and asked what was happening. I attempted to explain and was told I was not coming in.

I was admittedly angry at this and jokingly refused to move from the doorway saying I was entitled to stand on the pavement. One of them pushed me with his chest to one side, I did not physically try to resist. I was then pulled from the view of the security camera and pinned to the wall and aggressively shouted at. I was released and I saw another security guard physically assaulted my brother, pinning him to the pavement, locking and twisting his arm behind and above him. As I went to assist my brother I was restrained from behind. All this took place outside the premises on the pavement and the road.

I lost my patience and threatened to prosecute, to which the security personal absorbed with dumbfound disbelief. I was making such a racket somebody who refused to identify himself, yet clearly representing management (if you can call it that) tried to calm the situation. After a while it was obvious I had nothing to gain from speaking to this individual and I left the scene with my friends.

I know I was not completely in the right in this situation, and I deeply regret endangering my loved ones. However the unprofessional and excessive force used in this potentially serious situation is a sorry reflection of the state of professional security in this country. I have personally witnessed individuals being forcefully and dangerously being removed down busy stairways in the establishment and I believe it is only a matter of time before a serious accident will happen.

The claim about girls being searched by men is valid in my opinion, my girlfriend has had her bag searched by a man entering the premises; his formal requested was “have you got drink in your bag?” I was informed on this particular night that I am barred from this particular establishment, and her sister establishments. However it is merely coincidence that I will never visit any of these places again; the thought of being a customer of such a business is unacceptable for me.

Nice post.

have you got drink in your bag?
    This is key imo. The bouncer asks above, you say "no". He says "can I check?" - you says ok. Hereby you waive rights by allowing him to search your bag. I could be wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

In the pub the OP was refering to i have never seen the security actually open somebodys bag and search inside, i have seen them feel the bag from the outside and if they think that they feel a bottle or cans inside they ask the owner of the bag to open it.
    Not saying it has never happened, but i have never witnessed any of the door staff physically put their hands inside a customers bag or a male member of security accost a female customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Didn't they break the "1st rule of security" by putting their hands into a purse/pocket etc? I'm a security noob so I could be wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 assivemay

i loved this when i saw it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-nZTeM7Zg4

Above seem to be a clever shill.
    Mate of mine got beaten up by bouncers on Saturday drunkenly trying to defend a lady's honour in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Is it just me, or do a lot of incidents involve the 'persecuted' individuals being under the influence of alcohol?

If you have a complaint about security personell make a complaint to the private security authority. Don't go asking to see someone's PSA license BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT ENTITLED TO, only PSA inspector/gaurds can ask for it. But make a complaint if you feel you've been wronged. That's what they are there for.

Why not?

This whole thing of not having it visible is ridiculous. If you go to England every bouncer has their license on display, usually attached to their shirt pocket. If a bouncer has nothing to hide then surely they wont have a problem showing their license.
    Is it just me, or do a lot of incidents involve the 'persecuted' individuals being under the influence of alcohol

Exactly. If you're being refused from a pub/club having previously consumed then its you're own fault for having doing so. And don't most pubs/clubs have the "The Management Hold the Right to Refuse Admission" signs on their doors?

Why not?

This whole thing of not having it visible is ridiculous. If you go to England every bouncer has their license on display, usually attached to their shirt pocket. If a bouncer has nothing to hide then surely they wont have a problem showing their license.

I agree with your sentiment, but the small-town nature of Ireland means you could track down a bouncer to his/her residence even more easily if you wanted to enact some vengence. Name + phonebook = pretty good chance vs. having to ask fellow organic matter who may remember your enquiries when they read about it in the paper a week later.
    And there are enough nutters who wouldn't think twice about doing it too.

You're not entitled to because its the terms and conditions of the private security authority

Your residential address and full name etc is also printed on these licenses so they're not going to be placed somewhere where they're going to be ripped off and used for whatever reason from there

Jeebus, didn't think the address was on em too.
    It would be reckless to have them on display.

SyxPak wrote: »
    Jeebus, didn't think the address was on em too.
    It would be reckless to have them on display.

Myes....i did my training last november and had the fully completed application in to avail of the cheaper price / quicker processing. 1 year on I've gotten a letter saying they're still processing the application. Bummer.

Through the 'informed' grapevine ive heard about the address but admittedly ive not actually gotten my own card so I cant say for sure. Either way you shouldnt need to see someone's card to make a complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I fail to see why one would need to know someone's address to make a complaint. Surely knowing what they looked like & asking for their first name would be enough. Personally I feel most bouncers have a tough job, I've often gone out sober & have seen first hand the absolute hysteria (from women) and utter thickness (from men) that they deal with. However, there will always be one...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement