Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bouncers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

If one was to hit a bouncer several times (honestly mistaking him for somebody attacking you) because he grabbed you while in a fight with another person and put the bouncer out for a bit. Could the guards get involved in viewing the CCTV? I mean could it be presentable in court? Now the guards did call tot he incident because they were called but let the suspect go and just gave a warning to go home.
    This person was told they would have to give money in order to get away with it by the bouncer in question. Else they'd be brought to court and sued for a lot and the incident was on at least 12 cameras.
    I know the person was completely in the wrong, but what would actually happen? Any legal heads? (it was in a big nightclub in galway)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

You can still take a civil action against someone if the gaurds dont take a criminal one. As the CCTV is evidence you could certainly use it against the "attacker" but usually these things are settled out of court so their name isnt dragged through the papers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

CCTV is 100% admissable and can damn you. Big nightclubs in Galway can have live feed cameras or snapshot cameras, so what's caught varies. There is no club in Galway with 12 cameras on any one spot so that much is rubbish. Wait for the guard to contact you about charges being pressed and then have your solicitor review the evidence against you before you decide to go handing out cash to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

Deal already done but it was for quite a lot of money. The person involved was just curious if it would have been worth going to civil court for less money. But then your name goes through the papers who wants that ****...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

All this talk makes me want to stay at home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lynnlegend

got a massive black eye in gpo off one bouncer while an other held me then was thrown out the door really did not desvere it went back a couple of weeks later and got in i was going to complain but the amount of times ive been hammerd and bouncers have been fine i think it balanced out in the end but if a bouncer is a prick all the time and you get a head shot well ...bang

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

i think cuba should be renamed "crèche ",
    the bouncers there are a load of power trippers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

OK, are we talking about the Roisin, Massimoes or Blue Note,

If it's massimoes or blue note, the owner has a bit of a rep for being a less than reasonable person (look at my tactfulness!) so I doubt complaining to him will do much good.

Can't say Í've ever had a problem with bouncers in the Roisin, an abundance of patience and not eager to kill anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I've never had any trouble with bouncers in galway. You reap what you sow. Be a dick and they will be dicks. Theres always going to be tossers in every walk of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

grasshopa wrote: »
    OK, are we talking about the Roisin, Massimoes or Blue Note,

If it's massimoes or blue note, the owner has a bit of a rep for being a less than reasonable person (look at my tactfulness!) so I doubt complaining to him will do much good.

Can't say Í've ever had a problem with bouncers in the Roisin, an abundance of patience and not eager to kill anyone.

Interesting that all 3 have the same "less than reasonable" owner!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Stephenm

I have had a bouncer push me in this pub. Yes I had had a drink but I'm late 20s not some hammered kid. I was not being aggressive in any way, I felt it was very unprofessional of them to put a hand on me and told them so. I understand that they have a very difficult job but it is unwise of them to touch customers.

The real problem here is that there is a monopoly on Pub licences, and a tighter monopoly on late pub licences. The 10 or so big pubs/nightclubs in Galway are owned by 3 people. The Roisin Dubh is overcrowed late at night when all the other pubs close. It is this overcrowding that leads to the trouble and stress.

The solution is simple, deregulate, look what it did to taxi availability in Galway.

As far as I know, and I'd love some help compiling this, the following pubs share the same owners.
    Roisin Dubh, Massimo, Blue note, (GPO? Sally longs?)
    Celler, Cuba, Kings Head, Living Room.
    An Pucan, Red Square, Morgan's Hotel, Fiber's
    CPs, Halo, Bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Fey! wrote: »
    Interesting that all 3 have the same "less than reasonable" owner!!!

Blue Note and Massimoe's aren't run by same crowd as the Roisin dave, well AFAIK anyway. Unless the person who runs it isn't the person who owns it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Stephenm wrote: »

As far as I know, and I'd love some help compiling this, the following pubs share the same owners.
    Roisin Dubh, Massimo, Blue note, (GPO? Sally longs?)
    Celler, Cuba, Kings Head, Living Room.
    An Pucan, Red Square, Morgan's Hotel, Fiber's
    CPs, Halo, Bizarre.

The Roisin dubh, massimo, blue note are owned by the same people although there is a different manager for each of them.
    GPO is owned by one man.
    Sally Longs is owned by one man and afaik he dosent own any other pub.
    Cellar, cuba is owned by one man.
    Kings head is owned by one man.
    Living room is owned by a woman.
    I dont know about An pucan, morgans, fibers.
    Red square is owned by some dude but he has leased out the night club connected to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Fracture; close, but not quite right.

Roisin Dubh, Blue Note and Massimo all one group, but different combinations of that group. Some of them used to own the GPO, but sold it a couple of years ago.

GPO owned by a couple of people, who have varying interests in the likes of Sally Longs, Mixers, The Old Brewery (Oranmore), The Malte House (Mountbellew), and Bodkins.

Cuba, Cellar, Kings Head, Living Room, The Malte House Restaurant and Harvest owned by one family, but owned/operated independently as of a couple of years ago. You are right about Cuba/Cellar being grouped.

Red Square, The Victoria and The Salthill Hotel are one group.

EDIT: I know several of the people involved in the places mentioned above, and have always found them to be dead on, including one of the people being put down by someone a couple of posts ago. Every one of them has worked their backsides off to get to where they are, and for that they have to be given credit. Also, you might bear in mind that one large pub in Galway may have up to 50 staff, and in the list above these people create employment for several hundred people, both directly and indirectly. So, perhaps you might give them some credit for what they have achieved and are responsible for.

Fibbers, Foxes, Morgans, and the place which was once the Venue are, IIRC, all in together, but I think they've relinquished the River Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

togster wrote: »
    I've never had any trouble with bouncers in galway. You reap what you sow. Be a dick and they will be dicks. Theres always going to be tossers in every walk of life.

Hey steve, remember that time we got into CP's after the bottle of vodka.
    I don't know how that bouncer made out what I was saying but I got in!
    Then you hit the hardman tequilas!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

GPO is owned by Mr. Gilmore (Are there partners?) - Not sure what the story is with Management

Vic, Red Square, Salthill Hotel is owned by Ricky Byrne

Kennedy's aka. Venue is owned by yer man Clipper - Sound lad for the free after-hours lush (Used to knwo the lad running it for him). He's connected with Fox's, Fibers etc. but not sure if he owns them too?! Or just has a connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

Small-man Syndrome I think it's called.

A guy that bounces on the door of CP's has it too.

sometimes the cp guy is wearing a webcam on the side of his head, reminds me of the Harp adds of old will lawerence of arabia and the orb, i wonder does his work get posted on youtube??

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

talk about bumping an old thread!!

The camera is worn for a multitude of reasons. People are alot less aggressive when they know they are being filmed / voice recorded. Fact. Cleared up alot of crap on the door once it was brought in

*I used to work there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Caliden wrote: »
    Hey steve, remember that time we got into CP's after the bottle of vodka.
    I don't know how that bouncer made out what I was saying but I got in!
    Then you hit the hardman tequilas!! :D

HAHA oh yeah. The second one destroyed me and some girl i spewed across as i was legging it to the jacks. Good times......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Lately I've been feeling really sorry for the bouncers I've come across. They deal with people in their worst state really and get no respect for it. Recently a friend of mine was very sick on a night out & they were so good to us, I thinked the bouncer in question the following week (know him to see) and he was very taken aback that someone would remember & acknowledge their work at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

cps jus got award for best club in ireland... surprised the reviewer even got in to be honest.

oh yea, wats the best thing to say to cuba bouncers? 6 cans works sometimes, sometimes it doesnt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

turf wrote: »
    cps jus got award for best club in ireland... surprised the reviewer even got in to be honest.

oh yea, wats the best thing to say to cuba bouncers? 6 cans works sometimes, sometimes it doesnt
    It seems two is the magic number ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

turf wrote: »

doesn't really matter tbh mate, if you say 1 can and they don't like the look of you then it's not tonite son... and if you say 12 cans and they think you're okay then you'll get in. I think they only ask you to see how you react, rather than how many you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Ballisong

doesn't really matter tbh mate, if you say 1 can and they don't like the look of you then it's not tonite son... and if you say 12 cans and they think you're okay then you'll get in. I think they only ask you to see how you react, rather than how many you say.

Exactly, they ask you those questions to see what kind of a state you may or may not be in, the amount of drink isn't really important as people are affected by drink in different ways but if you want my advice be honest, there's nothing worse than someone saying two when it's blatantly obvious they've had more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

i told twirleys i had a bottle of vodka and ten cans one night for the laugh.. didn't get it. thank god.

why is cuba are the toughest to get by? its not up market when compared to cps, halo nd karma like.. dont understand it. and deburgos bouncers i dont get either, you could be smacked of your face and they dont care.. and i heard two guards own it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Yes I have had problems with a bouncer working for an establishment on Dominick Street.I used to work security for bars,hotels,nightclubs and whatnot and found the bouncers in the said pub to be spot on-except this one fella.He is unprofessional,incompetent and displays characteristics of someone who should not be working in security nor any position of authority.

Least with Cuba I can wear a hoodie and runners in.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

The bouncers at Cuba are my favourite anywhere in Galway I always have a bottle of bucky before I go out and never have any hassle and can wear my runners as bogman said, I find them the soundest from the clubs to 'alternative' types, it's the only club I'd go to...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Bla__bla wrote: »
    I am posting this under a new username to protect my identity.

I believe I was trying to gain entrance to this particular pub recently. I have gone there on many occasions and have never been turned away before, or caused any trouble. One night recently I was refused entry by a particular security man “for being too drunk”. I admit I had had a few, it was my birthday and I was celebrating. I was however calm and composed when I patiently queued with my brother to enter the premises.

The week previous to this my girlfriend was refused entrance to the premises for not having any identification, fair enough. I asked a member for staff I know if they would kindly confirm to the security man that my girlfriend is old enough to enter, she was admitted. However on this night she was admitted ahead of me and I was refused entrance after this security individual recognised me from the previous week. I protested politely and offered him my ID to confirm I was coherent and celebrating my birthday, hoping to persuade him to admit me. While this was happening more security personal confronted me and asked what was happening. I attempted to explain and was told I was not coming in.

I was admittedly angry at this and jokingly refused to move from the doorway saying I was entitled to stand on the pavement. One of them pushed me with his chest to one side, I did not physically try to resist. I was then pulled from the view of the security camera and pinned to the wall and aggressively shouted at. I was released and I saw another security guard physically assaulted my brother, pinning him to the pavement, locking and twisting his arm behind and above him. As I went to assist my brother I was restrained from behind. All this took place outside the premises on the pavement and the road.

I lost my patience and threatened to prosecute, to which the security personal absorbed with dumbfound disbelief. I was making such a racket somebody who refused to identify himself, yet clearly representing management (if you can call it that) tried to calm the situation. After a while it was obvious I had nothing to gain from speaking to this individual and I left the scene with my friends.

I know I was not completely in the right in this situation, and I deeply regret endangering my loved ones. However the unprofessional and excessive force used in this potentially serious situation is a sorry reflection of the state of professional security in this country. I have personally witnessed individuals being forcefully and dangerously being removed down busy stairways in the establishment and I believe it is only a matter of time before a serious accident will happen.

The claim about girls being searched by men is valid in my opinion, my girlfriend has had her bag searched by a man entering the premises; his formal requested was “have you got drink in your bag?” I was informed on this particular night that I am barred from this particular establishment, and her sister establishments. However it is merely coincidence that I will never visit any of these places again; the thought of being a customer of such a business is unacceptable for me.
    don't be such a prick refusing to move and you wont get **** on by security :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Fey! wrote: »
    It is not a legal requirement that a premises holds it's video tapes for one month. In fact, it's not a legal requirement for a premises to even have a surveillance system.

Hmm... I'm open to correction on this, but I think it has become a licensing requirement, which is effectively a legal requirement.

I recall Messrs Farrell and Gillen having difficulty in this regard when they were looking for the license for Halo in the run-up to its opening. In fact, CCJ Harvey Kenny wanted them to employ 48 different security officers to monitor each of the 48 cameras at the time.

Edit: Fix quote

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement