Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test advice needed

Options
  • 10-07-2007 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Just wondering about some procedures that I've got conflicted advice from instructors about

1. Is it OK to always stop in 3rd gear?

2. When stopping, I press the brake, then the clutch, pull up the handbreak, change from 3rd to neutral, then to 1st, keeping my foot down on the clutch all the time until it's time to go again. Is this OK?

3. When going straight through a junction e.g. with traffic lights, should I give a quick look in both directions while going through the junction?

4. Is it an automatic fail if you hit the kerb while reversing around a corner?

5. When taking the 3rd exit at a roundabout when do you switch from the inside lane to the outside lane?

6. Also, is it OK to always use the handbreak every time I stop, even on the flat?
    I find it very hard to judge when a road is flat or when there's a slight roll and I don't want to take the risk that the car might roll forward or backwards which I presume is a grade 2.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Did my test and failed last week but anyway:

1. Is it OK to always stop in 3rd gear?

Bit of a grey area really. Stop whichever makes you feel most comfortable. I always tend to go right down to second, because should the traffic start moving again you're already in the right gear.

2. When stopping, I press the brake, then the clutch, pull up the handbreak, change from 3rd to neutral, then to 1st, keeping my foot down on the clutch all the time until it's time to go again. Is this OK?

I definitely think so. Once the car is in Neutral the clutch on or off should have no effect.

3. When going straight through a junction e.g. with traffic lights, should I give a quick look in both directions while going through the junction?

Absolutely

Depends on the tester, but it would probably be a grade 2. Why waste one on that?

5. When taking the 3rd exit at a roundabout when do you switch from the inside lane to the outside lane?

As far as I can see we don't -do- rounabouts properly here.

6. Also, is it OK to always use the handbreak every time I stop, even on the flat?
    I find it very hard to judge when a road is flat or when there's a slight roll and I don't want to take the risk that the car might roll forward or backwards which I presume is a grade 2.

Yes, but it does mean that you're less responsive to changing traffic conditions. Just get used to your car more and you'll be able to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

1. You can come to a stop in any gear, although be aware that remaining in a higher gear and slowing down such that you have to push the clutch in sooner to stop the car stalling may result in a fault for coasting. Stop in the gear thats appropriate to the road and traffic conditions.

2. This should be okay although if you think you may have a relatively long wait e.g. the lights have just changed you may want to leave it in neutral and take your foot off the clutch to rest your leg and relax a bit. I do this if I think I will probably be stopped for over ten seconds.

3. You definitely should have a very quick look as you go through just in case someone doesn't see a red light or whatever. Expect the unexpected always - your instructor should warn you on this, observation (or lack thereof) is where most people fail.

4. Should depend on the tester but it's actually fairly to hard to hit the kerb during that part of the test as long as you take your time and keep checking mirrors and observing around you. I was bricking this part of the test but when it came to it, it was fine.

5. If it's a two lane approach to the roundabout, approach in the right lane and indicate right. When you pass the exit before the one you're taking, check left mirror and blind spot, indicate left and exit.

6. I nearly always put the handbrake on unless I'm sure the car is on a completely level road and this won't be a problem in the test. Just remember that it will take you a little longer to get going when traffic moves again and be ready for it.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

well i've always been told that you should stop in second because it shows that you had time to slow down, using your gears and brakes, and also you are ready to move off, ie showing progression!
    there seems to be a million different ways to do this... no wonder there's like 56% pass rate:O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

You should be indicating right while passing the first 2 exits. After passing the turn off point for exit 2, , check your mirrors, indicate left, don't wait until the car has travelled too far past this point before indicating left.

Then check your mirrors and move left in plenty of time before the next exit.

Good luck on your retest!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I was told this is an automatic fail, if you hit the kerb during the reverse around the corner or the turnabout.

I think it should be ok to do this but there is a chance you could get done for progress if you do it every time are are slow in pulling off.
    When I started learning I used to use the handbrake all the time but my instructor told me that it's not necessary every time you stop as some testers can take it as a sign that you aren't used to driving and can't tell the road conditions (or have full control over the car).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

More advice required... (test next week, gulp!)

My instructor always has me drop from 4th gear directly into 2nd when turning left - but when I am out driving with anyone else, they always ask me about it immediately, and then say "whatever you do, make sure you don't do that on the test or you'll get a fault." So many people have mentioned it to me at this stage now, that I am really unsure whether to follow what the instructor has said or not. Can anyone provide a definitive answer on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

my instructor said that it is fine to go from 4th to 3rd to 2nd, or from 4th straight to 2nd. it just depends on what is most comfortable for you.
    to be honest i don't think that the examiners are quite as strict as most instructors would have you believe.
    also, it is not an automatic fail if you hit the kerb while reversing around a corner. i did it during my test and passed anyways.
    i found this site very helpful http://www.irishmotoring.ie/car/thedrivingtest.php
    good luck for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Thanks catspring.

Advertisement