Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric [Mains] Insect Zappers

Options
  • 10-07-2007 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if these work in the typical Irish domestic enviornment ?

- They work by means of a UV light which insects are attracted to, once close enough they get zapped by 2,000 V of stepped up current - ow.

I need to know if the common Irish housefly is going to take the bait and ride the lightning.

Any advice, or descriptions of personal experiences with these is welcome ;)

P.S. Only curious because Maplins [Limerick & possibly elsewhere] are flogging small ones for €33.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Raiser,

They do work, but I'm unsure about the maplins small ones (they have bigger looking ones with better quality UL light in them)

I think the cheapo ones are just a blue coating on a lamp and I don't think the flies are to attracted to them (could be wrong though, but the lidl and aldi ones were crap)

We use to get the larger units about €230 ex VAT for supermarkets and I know they work they work, as you know there is usually a catch with such cheap electronics, and I think the lamp is the key to a good unit in this case.
    Maybe someone has bought a Maplins small one????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

They are used in food shops and restaurants all over the country so they must have some value.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Very Very popular in traditional butchers shops, make no mistake this is the single most effective way of dispatching these pests. Much healthier than that toxic crap people spray especially if you have small kids about.

As it is not really practical to have one in each room I would suggest sticking it in the kitchen where it can do the most good.

Page 579 of the 2007 Maplins Summer Catalogue... 2 x 10 Watt Insect Killer looks like a decent enough spec to do the job well. €47.99 not a bad price.

As someone else said the commercial units cost upwards of €200, they will not do the job much better than the above maplin item, but they will last a hell of a lot longer... say circa 10 years... if you get 3 years out of the above I would be satisfied....

Best regards, Baud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 silhouette

The ones they have in butcher shops definitely work....and make a very satifying "dddzzzzzt" noise when those nasty dirty flies hit them :D

Advertisement