Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

colour change queries

Options
  • 10-07-2007 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

hi - can someone tell me what the story is with changing a car's colour - if i got a nice car, say a skyline or a supra or m3 or something and got it sprayed a different colour, and didnt get the engine removed etc, would it seriously detract from the value of the car or is it a relatively common thing to see a good car with a beautiful paint job and a different colour under the bonnet. I am on the lookout for a car and have found a couple of examples of "exactly what i want except for the colour" - one paint shop guy told me i would be much better off holding out for the right car than to do a proper full respray colour change he said it would cost something stupid like 10k !!!

also what is the maximum i should be paying for a paint job (without removing the engine that is ) - i am guessing you get what you pay for to an extent and if i was doing a respray then i would like it to look fantastic. i mean some resprays just look absolutely amazing - how much do people spend on these things to get it that good looking or is it all in the polish :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

hard to give a price but it is generally you egt what you pay for. Budget job will have less preparation time put in and less attention to detail and less fine preparation work between coats.

The only way to be guaranteed a good job is to go by recommendations and then judge by price. Always ask for examples of the guys previous work. Shoddy, good enough, really good and the best shine out when you see the previous work. The main differences will be in the details, not the overall look from a distance. Like overspray (orange peel) isn't noticeable from more than a few yards away, but can ruin the look of a car closer up. A decent body shop would attend to this but a cheapy job might gloss over it as it is all extra work for them.

Bottom line imo would be to wait for the car in the right colour, presuming they actually made it in that colour :)

Advertisement