Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural Broadband Options - Kildare/Offaly

Options
  • 10-07-2007 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Really hope someone can help me out. I'm a bit of a technophobe - so please bear with some of my peculiar comments. :)

I work from home, and I really need to get broadband ASAP so I can send files into the office. The real problem is that I live outside Rathangan, on the border of Offaly/Kildare - too far from the Rathangan exchange, I think. There seem to be no coverage whatsoever - the phone-lines are crackly as hell. :( That includes so called "wireless" and "mobile operators". I was doing a quick scout around and the "satellite" option came up.

Unfortunately I'd need a "two-way" system as opposed to just a one way for surfing. However, the prices seem horrendous - 99 euro a month, and roughly 1500 quid for installation and connection fee. That's a lot of bread for a starving artist like myself :). So I was wondering does anyone has any other ideas or options? Or knows of any cheaper satellite options?

The two providers I was looking into were "Digi-web" and "Mediasat". Are these guys any good? I see Digi-web are a few hundred euro cheaper on the equipment charge etc. I don't really want to spend that much cash, but I'm running out of ideas.... :(

Many thanks in advance,

Rob.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

DSL coveage now out to 5 miles line length, how far are you by road and is the exchange deffo dsl enabled??? Can you test your neighbours numbers in the DSL checker ???

lastmile.ie wireless may operate around there too although they have had lots of issues in recent times as a provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Can you see the mast on top of the Slieve Bloom Mts from your house. Its visible from a lot of homes in Rathangan. If so, we maybe able to help you.

Can you see the mast on top of the Slieve Bloom Mts from your house. Its visible from a lot of homes in Rathangan. If so, we maybe able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

Have you checked here to see if you have coverage from 3, you might be able to use the 3 broadband package.

Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm the other side of the town from you and have dsl bb, however I also have a wireless network connecting my house to my yard and I pick up several local wireless BB suppliers on my 2.4gh gear. I have attached a screen grab to illustrate this. I have even picked up bigpaddy once or twice, though the pointing would be all wrong.
    An other option would be Lastmile if you can see any one of the following, the water tower in Edenderry, the water tower in Daingain or the Heritage hotel in Killenard.
    If you fail with those both 3 and Vodafone seem to have reasonable 3G coverage around about.

PM me if I can help you in any way.

• Advertisement

did not realise premier were that far north , any chance of an oul map Paddy ??

Sponge Bob wrote:
    did not realise premier were that far north , any chance of an oul map Paddy ??

I do be surprised myself sometimes too. I'm afraid I have no map, I just now the areas myself where there is coverage from testing and have them put up on the site. I will have to put up Rathangan, I never noticed before but its not on the site!

ah gwan Paddy , giz a map we can link , like this Lightnet one

coverage_map.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Slieve Blooms to Rathangan is about 30km, is that not pushing it a bit?

nilhg wrote:
    Slieve Blooms to Rathangan is about 30km, is that not pushing it a bit?
    No...We have sevaral subscribers 28km's away with no problems. I currently have a test link from Slieve Bloom to outside Ballyraggett which is 42km, pings are 8ms each way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replies. I was out on top of the ladder today to see if I could see the mast, but unfortunately we have no visibility where we live - too many damn trees. The same goes for Last Mile mast :(

Ritchie, I'll have a look at the three thing and see if we can get a signal, thanks for the help!

Failing that, what do you guys think of the very expensive satellite options?

Cheers,

R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Actually, I just checked 3 and it seems like we're covered. :D:D

Prolly the way to go! Is it a good reliable service? Can I buy one of the Data cards anywhere in Newbrige?

Thanks again, :)

R.

Baggio... wrote: »
    Actually, I just checked 3 and it seems like we're covered. :D:D

Prolly the way to go! Is it a good reliable service? Can I buy one of the Data cards anywhere in Newbrige?

Thanks again, :)

R.

Just curious...how did 3 work out for you?

Advertisement