Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed the same module again.HELP!!!!

Options
  • 10-07-2007 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭

When I got my results yesterday I realised that I failed a particular module again (F grade).
    When picking my modules last September, me and about 20 other science students picked this module that was taken entirely by second year students (mostly medical and pre-med students).Although all of us were unaware of this at the time,in the subsequent weeks we realised that it was a second year module that mistakenly appeared on the list of modules that we could have picked in first year.

However, because we were already a few weeks into the first semester when we realised that it was a second year module and with the midterm exams looming, many of us stayed in the module.When the Christmas results were out ALL the students from first year science that took the module either got an E or failed(the majority) the module.

In May I took the resit exam for the module because I could not afford to pay 400 to take another module in place of this module.Prior to resitting the exam ,I met the module coordinator who told me that first years shouldn't have been able to take the module because it was intended for second years and that because this was the case,my "case" would be taken into consideration when marking the resit exams.Yet I got the same grade as I did when I failed the exam the first time.

I have no intention whatsoever of resitting this or any other module in its place but is there is there anything else that I can do?Surely it was a mistake on UCDs part of making such a module available and not letting us know that it was a second year module until the midterm exams were literally around the corner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Well officially you have to re-sit the whole module, or take a replacement one and pay for it. I posted the education officer's details in the results thread, and you should contact your programme office, see about getting your paper re-examined and contact the lecturer maybe.

To be honest though I'm not sure what can be done at this stage, but for the future you can drop out of a module up to week 6 and basically have no repurcussions bar taking another to make up the credits (provided you weren't repeating the module)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

dajaffa wrote:
    Well officially you have to re-sit the whole module, or take a replacement one and pay for it. I posted the education officer's details in the results thread, and you should contact your programme office, see about getting your paper re-examined and contact the lecturer maybe.

To be honest though I'm not sure what can be done at this stage, but for the future you can drop out of a module up to week 6 and basically have no repurcussions bar taking another to make up the credits (provided you weren't repeating the module)

re-examining the paper would be pointless because I really could not have studied anymore for it.In the first semester we were told before the christmas exam that they wanted to see full diagrams and background information about each major reaction-impossible for any first year to know given that we hadn't even learnt how to name molecules and we were thrown into the deep enf right away.
    Would getting into contact with the students union help?Do they have an email address or anything?

fatal wrote:
    Would getting into contact with the students union help?Do they have an email address or anything?

Certainly wouldn't do any harm anyway:

sueducation@ucd.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

dajaffa wrote:
    Certainly wouldn't do any harm anyway:

sueducation@ucd.ie
    Yup, or by phone, 7163111 or (087) 4172389.

Yup, or by phone, 7163111 or (087) 4172389.

Is the office open during the summer?
    I tried ringing those numbers last week and today and theres no answer except an answering machine after a few rings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Is this the only module you failed?

fatal wrote:
    Is the office open during the summer?
    I tried ringing those numbers last week and today and theres no answer except an answering machine after a few rings

It is open this week but the officers are at officer training so I'd advise dropping him an email on sueducation @ucd.ie

Is this the only module you failed?

yea.I did quite well in everything else but failed this one.Certainly a case of the results not reflecting the work done.A bit of a joke really

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Uatstau

Definately appeal this and kick up a stink.

If they let you register for something that you shouldn't have been able to, or was inappropriate - the university is at fault. In fact if it was really Level 2, shouldn't there have been (Level 1) pre-requisites preventing you taking it.

Remember, most of the administrative staff and lectures don't have a clue how this modular thing is supposed to operate anyhow.

The official appeals channel should see you ok but make sure you have your facts correct. e.g. if someone told you soon after you registered that you shouldn't be doing the course, then you only have yourself to blame for persisting.

Consider getting all the first years who failed to write a joint letter to the registrar - not a rant - but carefully stating the facts.

Advertisement