Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you know islam is the truth?

• 10-07-2007 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭

I.E. what are the signs of divinity in the koran? As a christian, the prophesies of daniel and them coming to pass, were a big convincer of my Christianity. Is there any fulfilled prophesy in the koran? If not, what are the signs of its divinity?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Faith. I think it comes down to that whether you're, a Christian, Muslim, Jew, Buddhist or whatever(as the Simpsons put it :) ). You could even extend that to agnostics and atheists too. They all have faith in that their path or viewpoint is the right one and all can find reasons for that faith within the framework of their belief or lack of it.

Muslims may believe the Quran is a perfect book written by God, yet others may pick holes in that. Same goes for all faiths really.

As an agnostic, faith itself fascinates me as technically I've no real faith in any of the constructs. Here's me sittin on the fence.;) I may seem to be more allied to atheism to most religious types, but even there, their sureness about their position often grates just as much as an Alabama snake handler.

Faith is a funny thing indeed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Faith is a very hard thing to pin down. Faith in my case would tend to be a two layered kind of faith. Faith first that there is a God and then faith that Islam is a religion sent by God. For me, the first one is the obvious choice over the alternative. The alternative being that everything that has come around is nothing but a result of pure chance. Seeing how well the human body works and how well everything on earth (let alone the universe) work together so well is more than enough of a convincer. That's not considering the crazy probability required for this all to happen in the first place... especially the way it does.

But that's not what the OP poster was asking. The OP wants to know what makes me, as a Muslim, believe that Islam is the truth. Well, it's a huuuuuuuuuge topic but I guess I'll try my best to condense it as best I can.

I guess, coming from the first layer of faith (that God exists) then the idea that He would want to guide us in some way follows on from that so that leads me on to religion. So, then it's a case of which religion? I was fortunate enough to be born into Islam but what if I wasn't? I've often wondered about that and I insisted on really knowing my faith instead of just accepting it as what I was born into. I believe it's a responsibility on everyone to really know their own faith for two main reasons. 1.: To be sure of your faith... or to choose another you can be sure of. 2.: To know your chosen faith for your own good. After all, it's what really matters in the end, doesn't it?

So, where was I? :) Anyway, keeping in mind the fact that I believe God would send guidance of some kind then it comes down to a religion. I can't say I know every religion on earth inside out but I know a good bit about a few of them and know a little about a lot of others. Straight away, religion has to describe One God as far as I'm concerned. Which brings us to the three main faiths (all Abrahamic faiths). Strictly speaking, it's debatable whether or not Christianity can be called monotheistic due to the trinity. There is somewhat of the same thing in Judaism. Couple that with the fact that things like the first council of nicea happened then it's kind of a method of deduction at this stage.

Then, for me anyway, the Quran seems to speak with a Wisdom that I can't explain. It really comes across in Arabic too although the truth of it can still be read in translation. I do believe that there are some of God's words in the Bible. I just also believe that there are things in there that doesn't go with God since men wrote things in it and meanings were changed (intentionally or unintentionally).

Speaking a bit more about the Quran, the way it talks about the life of this world and the hereafter just seems so... with it. Know what I mean? Just so accurate.

Then, there is are the scientific miracles. Although I know that a lot of people here on this forum don't think much of them, I personally am amazed by them. But perhaps they're more for strengthening a faith you already have rather than convincing. Having said that, there are plenty of cases where people have been convinced by them.

Then there are the little things. The cool things that happen. Like when you believe that God sends you a sign one way or the other and it's got to be more than just coincidence. Like just yesterday, I was sitting in the car waiting for someone to come out of the shop and I got to thinking about something personal from a few years ago and felt a good bit of regret (I try my best not to think like that but it creeps in from time to time I guess). Anyway, there I was feeling regretful and feeling somewhat upset about it. Then, I look out of the window and see something written on a kiosk. It's part of the Quran and translates (roughly) to "God will give you so be content". It was comforting.

Obviously that last part may not necessarily prove that Islam is the truth and is probably more about God exists but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

At the end of the day, I think that a sincere heart guides anyone to the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

thanks for the reply. Does the koran have any fulfilled prophesy? and Does it have any prophesy of things to come?

thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Would I be correct in saying the Bible is a previous revelation from Allah, but Muslims think it has been altered by man. But the Qu'ran is the latest and greatest revelation but it doesn't make the previous revelations obsolete?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Jakkass wrote:
    Would I be correct in saying the Bible is a previous revelation from Allah, but Muslims think it has been altered by man. But the Qu'ran is the latest and greatest revelation but it doesn't make the previous revelations obsolete?

Yes, I believe you would be correct there except the Quran is the final revelation so its the one people should refer to.

• Advertisement

JimiTime wrote:
    thanks for the reply.
    You're most welcome.
    JimiTime wrote:
    Does the koran have any fulfilled prophesy? and Does it have any prophesy of things to come?
    Yes, there are quite a few actually. Some of them are covered in the following link:
    http://www.miraclesofthequran.com/predictions_index.html

A few of those might be a bit of a stretch but most of them are very impressive (like the bit about the Romans). It mostly covers prophecies that have already been fulfilled. There are lots of prophecies in the Quran about the signs of the day of judgment which are still to come.

One good verse that the above article left out is the following:

Fussilat:20
    "till, when they come close to it, their hearing and their sight and their [very] skins will bear witness against them, speaking of what they were doing [on earth]."

This possibly alludes to fingerprints or could be telling of how our skins will bear witness to us on the day of judgment... or both. God knows.
    Jakkass wrote:
    You're mostly correct there yeah. Muslims believe that the Gospel is a previous revelation. Not the Bible. The Gospel was what was revealed to Jesus (peace be upon him) but the Bible is (according to Bible scholars and is in accordance to what Muslims believe) made up of:

1.: The words of God
    2.: The words of the Bible authors
    3.: The words of the Bible translators
    4.: The words of historians

So, I know that there are verses in the Bible that are as God intended them but I can't be sure so I can't really use it as a reference. Obviously, if there's anything in the Bible that goes along with what the Quran says then that's fine but otherwise, I can't be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

the_new_mr wrote:
    You're most welcome.

Yes, there are quite a few actually. Some of them are covered in the following link:
    http://www.miraclesofthequran.com/predictions_index.html

A few of those might be a bit of a stretch but most of them are very impressive (like the bit about the Romans). It mostly covers prophecies that have already been fulfilled. There are lots of prophecies in the Quran about the signs of the day of judgment which are still to come.

One good verse that the above article left out is the following:

Fussilat:20
    "till, when they come close to it, their hearing and their sight and their [very] skins will bear witness against them, speaking of what they were doing [on earth]."

This possibly alludes to fingerprints or could be telling of how our skins will bear witness to us on the day of judgment... or both. God knows.

You're mostly correct there yeah. Muslims believe that the Gospel is a previous revelation. Not the Bible. The Gospel was what was revealed to Jesus (peace be upon him) but the Bible is (according to Bible scholars and is in accordance to what Muslims believe) made up of:

1.: The words of God
    2.: The words of the Bible authors
    3.: The words of the Bible translators
    4.: The words of historians

So, I know that there are verses in the Bible that are as God intended them but I can't be sure so I can't really use it as a reference. Obviously, if there's anything in the Bible that goes along with what the Quran says then that's fine but otherwise, I can't be sure.

Thanks again.

You're welcome again :)

Advertisement