Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraoi 2007

• 10-07-2007 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

This will mark the 4th year that my girlfriend and I will have made the trip from Galway to Waterford to celebrate the most excellent Spraoi festival.

We've kept ourselves up to date with The Official Spraoi Website, but what we want to know (apart from that) is there any good clubbing events being held in Waterford City this august bank holiday. Last year we went to Ten and had a good night. The crowd were a bit dodgy in spots, but the majority were just there to enjoy themselves (you get muppets in all necks of the wood, so it wouldn't bother us as long as we were not completely surrounded and out of place). What we really don't want is to end up in a place with a battle for service at the bar and general chart music that tends to only attract a minority on to the dance floor.

Are there any big name DJs heading to Waterford that weekend?

Are there any good web sites that I can keep myself clued in to what's going on down there?

Appreciate anything you can offer, cheers ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Isn't dance music banned from Waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

no not quite. with Ten and the Forum gone there's just no big enough venues to get the big name dj's. there's still some nights on with house and techno, in the Bowery mostly. ya can be guaranteed that there'll be some dj's playing over spraoi weekend anyway, there always is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The forum is gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Both Ten & The Forum are gone!!!, Jaysus what happened down there in the last 12 months. Went to the Forum (just for the craic) the first two years. The music in that club was never any good, however many decent spraoi acts (some street comics come to mind) used to end up in there during the night.

2 years ago I remember there was loads of us down the back with a group of street performers all singing the original Star Trek theme tune for about 20 mins straight, hillarious stuff, great craic.

I'll have to look in to the Bowery to see whats going on, any web sites?

Pity about club Ten, it seemed like a decent (sized) venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

ve wrote:

I'll have to look in to the Bowery to see whats going on, any web sites?

Isn't there a for sale sing sitting on the entance to the Bowery on the Mall ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

The Forum isn't closing down or closed down. They are advertising for a new restaurant opening in October. It's still business as usual.

Don't know of any big name DJ's coming for the Aug. weekend. The Ten website is not there anymore so unfortunately can't check. Below is a quick list I've put together to get you started.

http://www.forumwaterford.com
    http://www.whazon.com/
    http://www.entertainment.ie/
    http://www.rubys.ie/

Here's another...
    http://www.dontstayin.com/ireland/waterford/chat/k-1885267

Thanks Shapez - That's what I thought!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Bob Tweedy has tried to move as much of his business from Ten over to Oxygen down the road in an attempt to liven up the struggling venue a bit. If there's going to be any big names then they're going to be in Oxygen which I now hear has a access stairwell going up from Muldoons bar which means free entry to Oxygen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The down stairs venue in the Forum is no more. It'll be a restaurant. The upstairs is still going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Bob Tweedy has tried to move as much of his business from Ten over to Oxygen down the road in an attempt to liven up the struggling venue a bit. If there's going to be any big names then they're going to be in Oxygen which I now hear has a access stairwell going up from Muldoons bar which means free entry to Oxygen.

I thought they removed the stairs??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dilinja01

dj deep and yass from paris are playing on the bank holiday sunday in the bowery, will be a great night, check out www.electric-circus.net for updates and info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

when did ten disappear?? just shows have,nt been out in waterford in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭smdweb

Looks like Spraoi will be very good this year ... if you like Cowboys and the Wild West, then don't miss the Spraoi parade on the Sunday.

I think selling the programmes for a fiver is a bit much tbh.

I think selling the programmes for a fiver is a bit much tbh.
    Myself and my gf bought the wrist bands for the last 2 years. We're from Galway City and at the moment the Galway Arts Festival is on. You can drive through the streets of Galway right now at any time of day or night and this fact will not be apparent. Went to the traditional parade held last Sunday and it was crap, there were about 3 floats and just a load of muppets running around the streets trying to scare kids. Don't get me wrong I don't hate it, but up here it lasts 2 full weeks and IMHO it has nothing on Spraoi at all, so we have no problem what so ever putting another €10 towards the Spraoi festiaval, so we can come down to Waterford for the 5th year running.

Update: I started this thread looking for some dance gigs being held in Waterford on that weekend. It would appear some have been organised.

The Rotate Music Festival (scroll down the page).

I know the festival is great, and I've always really enjoyed it (and volunteered for it).

I'm just not sure a fiver is nessicary for the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭smdweb

Fajitas! wrote:
    I know the festival is great, and I've always really enjoyed it (and volunteered for it).

I'm just not sure a fiver is nessicary for the programme.
    :confused:

Considering the whole 3 day festival is free - €5 is nothing !

I'd prefer the armband to be honest, at least it identifies you as having already supported the festival, it's not like anyone is going to carry the programme around with them all weekend.
    With the armband you bought it once and it stopped you being pestered for the rest of the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

ve wrote:
    We're from Galway City and at the moment the Galway Arts Festival is on. You can drive through the streets of Galway right now at any time of day or night and this fact will not be apparent. Went to the traditional parade held last Sunday and it was crap, there were about 3 floats and just a load of muppets running around the streets trying to scare kids. Don't get me wrong I don't hate it, but up here it lasts 2 full weeks and IMHO it has nothing on Spraoi at all, so we have no problem what so ever putting another €10 towards the Spraoi festiaval, so we can come down to Waterford for the 5th year running.

No offence intended to Galway, a wonderful city, but I've heard that the arts festival there is much more arty farty and exclusive than Spraoi, tends to be concentrated very much on the individual venues - where people have to pay, and has a very low profile on the streets and among the populace.

What I love about Spraoi is that it's mostly free (for God's sake stop complaining about a fiver for the programme lads, it's a fiver for the festival, don't you understand?). It's also very, very democratic, in the sense that it's organised for the enjoyment primarily of the people of Waterford (and of course our visitors), not for some beard-stroking élite that converges from D4 and West Cork.

What bugs me is that the Galway Arts Festival gets seemingly acres of coverage in the national papers, whereas you'd barely know Spraoi was on, from what the Dublin-based media cover of it. I don't begrudge Galway their high profile at all; I'd just like to see Spraoi (and Waterford generally) recognised for its qualities in the same way.

Maybe VE can give us a few hints about how the Galway PR machine works, because by golly it works well! :D

It's not the fiver I object to it's the buckets getting rattled up in your face every few minutes.
    As annoying as chuggers tbh.

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote:
    No offence intended to Galway, a wonderful city, but I've heard that the arts festival there is much more arty farty and exclusive than Spraoi, tends to be concentrated very much on the individual venues - where people have to pay, and has a very low profile on the streets and among the populace.
    No offense taken at all ;) I share your opinion. However the Arts Festival in Galway has changed over the years. It was more like Spraoi in the 90s and before. Actually the most impressive Fireworks display I have ever seen was during the Galway Arts Festival in '99. There was a sense of community, a bit like the Air Show that they put in in Salthill every July. Lately the GAF, starts off with us getting the programme in the local paper for all to see about a week or two before it starts. I can't remember a time I looked a the programme and said "oh that looks good, I'll have to go an see that". Now that could be quite simply a matter of taste. However all those events are not free. The parade is the only free event, I believe.
    fricatus wrote:
    What bugs me is that the Galway Arts Festival gets seemingly acres of coverage in the national papers, whereas you'd barely know Spraoi was on, from what the Dublin-based media cover of it. I don't begrudge Galway their high profile at all; I'd just like to see Spraoi (and Waterford generally) recognised for its qualities in the same way.
    I think the reason for this is that the GAF was once a very well respected and much anticipated festival. I remember when plenty of people around Galway would be talking about this and that, and events going on around the city, and it was all free. Then people from abroad used to fly in especially to either spectate or take part in the festivities. I remember being abroad and having forreigners ask me about the GAF and that they would always try and make it over. So I think the marketing campaigns that we see today are simply riding on the fact that it was once something special. The GAF seems to have become a "brand" of sorts, and the fact that it is now just a collection of "arty farts" making money, and selling out was just added in, in a sly way. I don't know how long it will last because people are starting to cop on that it has become more of an elitist showcase rather than a public/community festival. As I said before you could wander through the streets of Galway at any stage during the GAF and not realise it is on. The only thing I did see recently that was interesting here in Galway was during the annual Film Fleah. They had huge cinema size projection screens setup (some evenings) in both Eyre Square and the Spannish Arch, showcasing ameture works. On a fine evening it is nice to see everyone sitting down outside under the stars and just watching the show.

The GAF organisers earlier this year said that there would be no parade this summer as they were going to do something on Halloween night instead. Their was uproar over this. So it got put back on the summer programme at the last minute.

I look at Spraoi right now, like many in the past would have looked at the GAF. We would get off the train in Waterford, arrive in our hotel and you could hear street performers (usually drummers) in the distance. Add some fine weather and you could not be in a bad mood in such an environment. It is not like that in Galway anymore. Personally I would get more involved and seek out the entertainment during the GAF if it was free, but alas...
    fricatus wrote:
    Maybe VE can give us a few hints about how the Galway PR machine works, because by golly it works well!
    Don't move. For the love of God don't change a thing in Waterford. If you attempt to mimic what is done here in Galway, you will attract the wrong sort of attention and will ultimately lose what us fun loving Galwegians have been looking forward to all year.

Thank you Waterford! and well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Anyone enjoying their Spraoi so far ?

Must reccommend people to go see stormbringer I believe its called ? It's on tonight at 21:30 in the Lombard St. carpark !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 (¯`·.Drago.·´¯)

Paddy@CIRL wrote:
    Anyone enjoying their Spraoi so far ?

Must reccommend people to go see stormbringer I believe its called ? It's on tonight at 21:30 in the Lombard St. carpark !

Honestly haven't checked it out yet.

Will do tonight though

And a beerfest all tomorrow:D

Going good so far. Good craic last night.

If anyone's interested, there'll be a few of the photography forum people in Down's at some stage tonight...prolly 10.00+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Proud Mary 1980

Hey there everybody, I used to go to Spraoi every year, however I moved away from Waterford in 2000 and hadn't been to a Spraoi since 2001. This year I thought it could have been better, now what I did see was fantastic, but as a wheelchair user trying to get to see some of the acts was impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

The fireworks last night were FANTASTIC!!. Well done Spraoi organisers.
    I also really enjoyed the Dutch brass band in the Cathedral at lunchtime. Didn't get a chance to see anything else.

I don't know how much Spraoi gets from the Arts Council, but I do know that GAF gets about half a million Euro.

I think anyone who puts on a festival is to be applauded and supported. It takes a lot of hard work and organisation.

Congratulations to all involved.
    RESPECT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Didn't get to go myself but heard something about a rebellion along the lines of:

http://www.feckthesproai.ie

But link doesn't appear to be working? Anybody know any more? How was it all for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I didnt really enjoy it at all, probably the fireworks was the best.. Other than that its just aload of people getting drunk and littering the place..

Fair play to the organisers though just its not my cup of tea with all the drunk people and what not!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

I didn't think it was as good as previous years. Last year was particularly good.

The weather didn't help though.

I was certainally more aware of people using it as an excuse to get pissed on the streets a lot more than previous years aswell... Though that could be due to the amount of Gardai trying to keep the drinking to a minimum.

Photography wise- I didn't enjoy it as much as previous years either... I ended up just taking to shooting portraits of people enjoying the festival, rather than the acts, for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 (¯`·.Drago.·´¯)

I actually enjoyed it, but admittedly not as much as previous years and the fireworks were probably the best thing this year

Advertisement